Author Topic: Yup, Keanu is Canadian  (Read 9611 times)

onikenbai

Yup, Keanu is Canadian
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:21:27 AM »
So it seems Keanu rides the subway with the non-famous masses and most of the world doesn't notice.  It's always nice when the spy-cam sniper actually catches something nice for a change...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/09/keanu-reeves-gives-up-subway-seat_n_1139228.html?ref=celebrity

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
Re: Yup, Keanu is Canadian
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:42:56 AM »

There are eight million reasons why I love this guy. This has been one of them.
 :-*  ;D
Stewart/Colbert '16

iradney

• DoSWMBO
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 01:46:40 AM »

There are eight million reasons why I love this guy. This has been one of them.
 :-*  ;D

POD!!!!
“It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance.”
-Thomas Huxley

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »
Gee, I gave up my seat twice last week - where was the press?

BTW, did you notice the name of the video? Really?!?!?!

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:31:15 AM »
Love, love Keanu!  Nice to see him being a regular guy. 

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
That made me smile.  Gentlemen are rare enough, but it's great to see a celebrity being a gentleman and not acting all entitled and spoiled.   :)

To address one comment in the article:
"How do New Yorkers react to such a famous person joining the daily commute? They don't. For the most part, the straphangers don't seem to pay attention to the Matrix star. Do they not recognize him? Are they just trying to play it cool?"

If I had seen him on the subway, I wouldn't have thought "Oh, wow! It's Keanu Reeves."  What I would have thought is "Wow, that guy looks a lot like Keanu Reeves."

Also, I don't think he looked "nervous" as the article suggested, just aware of his surroundings (as anyone ought to be on a subway).

Nibsey

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 10:30:23 AM »
Yeah when I saw this I smiled. I'm use to seeing people give up their seats for the disabled/elderly/pregnant/single person with young kids on the bus and trams but I thought it was nice for him just to give up his seat just because he could.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Sluggyfan

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »
Eeeh, I'm never really into stories like this. "Person with lots of money, in lots of movies, actual human being!"

I'm thinking the celebs who are not so nice are actually the exception, not the rule. I mean, if we're looking at the ratio of unpleasant/rude people in the world vs pleasant/polite, the polite people are winning (or else we wouldn't have sites like etiquette hell to point out those weirdo rude people filled with commenters). I assume celebs have a similar ratio. 

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »
Eeeh, I'm never really into stories like this. "Person with lots of money, in lots of movies, actual human being!"

I'm thinking the celebs who are not so nice are actually the exception, not the rule. I mean, if we're looking at the ratio of unpleasant/rude people in the world vs pleasant/polite, the polite people are winning (or else we wouldn't have sites like etiquette hell to point out those weirdo rude people filled with commenters). I assume celebs have a similar ratio.

True but the rude ones get more attention so it's always nice to see polite manners as a story instead of some of the antics that are reported on.

Betelnut

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »
That was nice.

I don't get the title of the thread though--if he were a U.S. citizen would he have been rude?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
I was confused about the thread title as well.  Is that a jab at Americans?  ???

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
That was nice.

I don't get the title of the thread though--if he were a U.S. citizen would he have been rude?

I think it's mostly a joke about how our celebrities are more like "regular folk" -- they walk down the streets and take public transit without getting mobbed.  Celebrity has a totally different vibe here.  And there's the added joke of Canadians being very polite in general.

It's more a self-deprecating joke about Canada than an insult towards any other country. The OP didn't even mention the States so I don't think there's any reason to get offended here. 

Betelnut

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »
That was nice.

I think it's mostly a joke about how our celebrities are more like "regular folk" -- they walk down the streets and take public transit without getting mobbed.  Celebrity has a totally different vibe here.  And there's the added joke of Canadians being very polite in general.

It's more a self-deprecating joke about Canada than an insult towards any other country. The OP didn't even mention the States so I don't think there's any reason to get offended here.

Oh, I wasn't offended, I just didn't get it.  Seemed like a non sequitur.  Now I sort of see why you named the thread that way.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »
That was nice.

Oh, I wasn't offended, I just didn't get it.  Seemed like a non sequitur.  Now I sort of see why you named the thread that way.

Oh the OP isn't me, I'm just speculating -- sorry, didn't mean to put words in the OP's mouth.  But yeah, I'd see it as more self-deprecating (making fun of ourselves) rather than insulting other countries (as Dotty was wondering).

Smitty

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »
I was confused about the thread title as well.  Is that a jab at Americans?  ???

I think it's a reference to the well-known stereotype that Canadians are super-polite. I don't understand how it could be a jab at Americans?