Author Topic: Yup, Keanu is Canadian  (Read 9597 times)

PeterM

Re: Yup, Keanu is Canadian
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 12:02:18 AM »
As all the Canadian posters who have chimed in on this thread have said, it's a well-known stereotype (amongst Canadians, anyway). It's not a stereotype based in ethnicity or used to discriminate against an identifiable group, it's more along the lines of saying that Canadians love hockey.

Or "Germans love David Hasslehoff." Exactly. I'm actually very surprised that there's more than one person in this thread who's not familiar with the generally-joking stereotype. I shouldn't be surprised, obviously, different strokes and all that, but it's definitely not confined only to Canadians. I'd have guessed it was at least as commonly known as the undeniable fact that all Canadians say stuff like "oot and aboot" all the time.

I really don't get the "complimenting one group insults another" idea, either. Taking that to it's logical (to me, at least) conclusion would mean that if I say "Man, that Betty is one smart lady," literally everyone who hears me say it or somehow becomes aware I said it could take me to task for calling them dumb. No.

Betelnut

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »
I wasn't insulted either.  The only reason I mentioned is is that I truly didn't even understand the name of the thread.  I have never heard of that stereotype of Canadians either.  It is a great one to have though!

Personally, I really don't even care if people from the U.S. have the reputation internationally of being impolite--it simply doesn't matter to me.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 11:21:04 AM »
Bragging is always impolite isn't it?
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 11:56:02 AM »

In my experience, Canadians referencing the stereotype of excessive politeness (and, like PeterM, I'm surprised more people here aren't familiar with it) tend to be doing so in a wryly self-deprecating way - e.g. "Oh, we apologise to the lamp-post we bump into", or one of Margaret Atwood's characters musing wryly: "'Aggressively Canadian', what a contradiction in terms". That's precisely how I'm reading it here, too.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »

In my experience, Canadians referencing the stereotype of excessive politeness (and, like PeterM, I'm surprised more people here aren't familiar with it) tend to be doing so in a wryly self-deprecating way - e.g. "Oh, we apologise to the lamp-post we bump into", or one of Margaret Atwood's characters musing wryly: "'Aggressively Canadian', what a contradiction in terms". That's precisely how I'm reading it here, too.

I've seen that too--and yeah, it's usually about excessive apologizing. :) It's kind of like when we have a thread at ehell where we make fun of ourselves as ehellions for saying "excuse me" to the dog when we break wind.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
I dated an American for a few years, it really showed me the apologizing thing was true, because it drove him *nuts*!  He asked me if I could tone it down and the first thing that came out of my mouth was "Oh, I'm sorry!"

Dorrie78

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 02:18:56 PM »
I wouldn't say that I'm offended, but I definitely took this as a jab at Americans. And as someone who has traveled all over the world and seen rude people from every nationality, I'm awfully sick of the "rude American" stereotype. Don't forget we are uneducated and fat, too. I would hope that on E-Hell we wouldn't be using stereotypes to categorize entire nationalities. It's not polite. And this is true if it is categorizing all Americans as rude or all Canadians as polite.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
I wouldn't say that I'm offended, but I definitely took this as a jab at Americans. And as someone who has traveled all over the world and seen rude people from every nationality, I'm awfully sick of the "rude American" stereotype. Don't forget we are uneducated and fat, too. I would hope that on E-Hell we wouldn't be using stereotypes to categorize entire nationalities. It's not polite. And this is true if it is categorizing all Americans as rude or all Canadians as polite.

Where in the OP did she mention Americans were rude?  I can't seem to see a mention of Americans at all.

Dorrie78

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 04:32:09 PM »

Where in the OP did she mention Americans were rude?  I can't seem to see a mention of Americans at all.
The whole situation takes place in the US. Whether she meant to or not, by focusing on Keanu's nationality, rather then his celebrity, the implication has suddenly become how the polite Canadian did something that is unusual in the US - give up his seat on the subway. I just don't think that giving up a seat on subway is such an abnormally polite thing to do. People give up their seats all the time - and not just Canadians. Many Americans do to! This is basic manners. By emphasizing how "Canadian" it is to have these basic manners, the implication is certainly there that those basic manners are not present in the natives - who in this case are Americans.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 04:49:06 PM »
If an individual made a phenomenal play in hockey and you cited that as clear proof that he was Canadian it could be seen as a slam an Americans.

DuBois

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »

I'm British and well aware of this sterotype. I think a lot of people seem to be looking for offense.

Dorrie78

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »
If an individual made a phenomenal play in hockey and you cited that as clear proof that he was Canadian it could be seen as a slam an Americans.
Or Russians  ;)

(Let's go Caps!)

Dorrie78

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »

The whole situation takes place in the US. Whether she meant to or not, by focusing on Keanu's nationality, rather then his celebrity, the implication has suddenly become how the polite Canadian did something that is unusual in the US - give up his seat on the subway. I just don't think that giving up a seat on subway is such an abnormally polite thing to do. People give up their seats all the time - and not just Canadians. Many Americans do to! This is basic manners. By emphasizing how "Canadian" it is to have these basic manners, the implication is certainly there that those basic manners are not present in the natives - who in this case are Americans.

It's considered very Canadian to like hockey. By saying so am I implying that there is no appreciation for hockey in the US?
No, but if you say that only a Canadian can truly appreciate the finer points of hockey - and you say it in the presence of American hockey players/fans - I would think that you are implying that Americans don't appreciate the finer points of hockey. Or if you are in a roomful of hockey fans in the US and someone makes an insightful point about hockey and you proclaim that that person must be Canadian, I would think you are implying that Americans couldn't possibly know insightful points about hockey.

Dorrie78

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 05:14:24 PM »

Canadians and Americans are not the only nations that play hockey. How is it then not also a slam against Russians?
Not only do I completely agree with you, but I would also assume that if an individual made a remark like that, he was Don Cherry.

Rohanna

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »
But she didn't say *only* a Canadian would be polite , just that his politeness fits his being Canadian. Really , you're allowing your own stereotypes about yourselves to create offense where none was given. I'm Portuguese - if I saw a Portuguese celebrity making , say, a huge dinner to feed the homeless I might very well joke " well of course a Portuguese would be feeding people" - because it's a well known joke that we like to over feed guests. It doesn't mean that I think that no one else would ever make big dinners and that they'd happily let the homeless starve....
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.