Author Topic: Yup, Keanu is Canadian  (Read 8912 times)

Dorrie78

Re: Yup, Keanu is Canadian
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2012, 05:14:24 PM »
If an individual made a phenomenal play in hockey and you cited that as clear proof that he was Canadian it could be seen as a slam an Americans.

Canadians and Americans are not the only nations that play hockey. How is it then not also a slam against Russians?
Not only do I completely agree with you, but I would also assume that if an individual made a remark like that, he was Don Cherry.

Rohanna

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »
But she didn't say *only* a Canadian would be polite , just that his politeness fits his being Canadian. Really , you're allowing your own stereotypes about yourselves to create offense where none was given. I'm Portuguese - if I saw a Portuguese celebrity making , say, a huge dinner to feed the homeless I might very well joke " well of course a Portuguese would be feeding people" - because it's a well known joke that we like to over feed guests. It doesn't mean that I think that no one else would ever make big dinners and that they'd happily let the homeless starve....
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 05:15:34 PM »
No, but if you say that only a Canadian can truly appreciate the finer points of hockey - and you say it in the presence of American hockey players/fans - I would think that you are implying that Americans don't appreciate the finer points of hockey. Or if you are in a roomful of hockey fans in the US and someone makes an insightful point about hockey and you proclaim that that person must be Canadian, I would think you are implying that Americans couldn't possibly know insightful points about hockey.

Sure, but the OP didn't say that only Canadians are polite. She just referenced a stereotype that Canadians are overly polite. Not overly polite compared to anyone else, just overly polite.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

Millionaire Maria

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2012, 05:21:58 PM »
I went back and reread the article and the OP. At no point do either of them reference what Keanu did vs what others would or would not have done. The comparison only came up later with posters being offended at the mention of his nationality.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »
If an individual made a phenomenal play in hockey and you cited that as clear proof that he was Canadian it could be seen as a slam an Americans.

Canadians and Americans are not the only nations that play hockey. How is it then not also a slam against Russians?

I'm assuming we are talking about a similar scenario where he'd be in the midst of Americans.  If it were when he was in the midst of Russians and the claim was made then yes, it could be seen as a jab at Russians. 

As far as Canadians being overly polite or pverly apologetic I don't see how that is apt since he wasn't being overly polite or apologetic in any way.

Millionaire Maria

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »

I'm assuming we are talking about a similar scenario where he'd be in the midst of Americans.  If it were when he was in the midst of Russians and the claim was made then yes, it could be seen as a jab at Russians. 

As far as Canadians being overly polite or pverly apologetic I don't see how that is apt since he wasn't being overly polite or apologetic in any way.

But you're not talking about a similar scenario because the OP didn't say that it was clear proof that he was a Canadian. A similar scenario would be if there was one Canadian player on a team of Russians, the Canadian scored, and somebody said "Those Canadians sure know how to play hockey". It doesn't mean that the Russians don't. It has nothing to do with the Russians. They play great hockey too.

And I agree that this gesture wasn't overly polite. I also don't think it's even close to being news. The fact that the article was written is IMHO a total eyeroll. I do believe the point was more like "Hey look! There's a Canadian, and he's being polite. <sarcasm> You don't see that every day!"

onikenbai

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2012, 12:28:40 AM »
Ok, this is getting ugly so I'm wading back in.  What I really meant was wow, a Canadian actually did something newsworthy, and a good thing at that.  Usually we're so bloody boring that we never make the news for anything.  I mean, the only other big Canadian news stories are the Bieb's hair and Pamela's implants.  It's been an exciting week here as two students managed to launch a lego man into space and it's the LEGO MAN that's getting most of the attention.

I certainly don't think Canadians are the most polite people ever, nor was it any comment on the relative politeness of any group relative to another.  I do think Canadians are getting a good bit less polite actually.  Canadians may take the award for being the most apologetic group out there.  It doesn't take much to get them to say sorry about just about anything.  I can get my own brother to apologize for it being cloudy outside within 60 seconds of meeting up with him.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2012, 12:24:43 PM »
I guess I'm the biggest jerk here... I always thought Keanu was American. Oops  :-[
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-