Author Topic: Darn you Auto Correct! Real life moments  (Read 5030 times)

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
Re: Darn you Auto Correct! Real life moments
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »
The letter reminds me - I once received an invoice addressed to "companynames bacon-fed knave"... they meant to put "companyname & associates"

Oh the irony...
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

emwithme

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 01:50:39 PM »
I have two errors (more spell check than auto-correct) that have stuck in my mind for a long time.

During my A Levels (I was 18), I was late handing in an Economics essay about regulation of the Bank of England, so I wrote it one night with the computer in front of the TV, watching a soccer game.  At the time, the Chairman of the Bank of England was Eddie George.  Throughout the whole essay, I referred to him as "George Graham" - the manager of one of the teams playing.  It highly amused my teacher.

At work, (as a Legal Secretary), I was transcribing a letter about a person who had suffered a serious brain injury in a workplace accident and, hence, was unable to handle his own affairs.  Fortunately, I caught the error as I was putting the (signed) letter into an envelope - I had mistyped and instead of "Kind regards" I had typed "King retards".  I'm so glad I caught that one!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »
Not quite auto correct but along the same lines.

There's always the story of the man who received a mail solicitation offering his family coat of arms.  The family was Usafret.

Well, the man did have USAF ret at the end of his name.  It stood for 'U.S. Air Force retired'.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »
I don't have any but my friend sent me a screenshot of one that happened to her. She was leaving the house to meet her DH for lunch and intended to text "I'm leaving now." It was auto-corrected to "I'm lesb.ian now." (I inserted the period because I'm not sure if the filter will snag it) and he replied "Good to know!"
She sends goofy auto-corrected texts ALL the time, it's a riot. In fact, her phone automatically changes "shut" to a very similar 4 letter word for poo and that's been lots of fun.  ;D

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 04:18:26 PM »
her phone automatically changes "shut" to a very similar 4 letter word for poo and that's been lots of fun.

My phone does exactly the reverse.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 09:28:58 AM »
her phone automatically changes "shut" to a very similar 4 letter word for poo and that's been lots of fun.

I told her that's what she gets for having such a filthy mouth. Her phone now assumes she meant to curse by default. lol

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »

I told her that's what she gets for having such a filthy mouth. Her phone now assumes she meant to curse by default. lol

Mine does too. ;D It better, it took me long enough to train the autocorrect!

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 12:29:12 PM »
Texted DF from work to tell him about the duck that sits outside the entrance in Summer (it's dead cute actually, comes from the park just behind the hospital). My phone did not type ducks at all, but a swear word that rhymes. I have never texted that word, so how did my phone have it in its memory?!?
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »
On my old flip phone when T9 had just come out, I apparently typed 666 so much that when I typed "mom" in later, it auto-corrected to 666.  I told my mom my phone reads my mind and knows what I really think about her >:D (all in good fun, she laughed).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

SheltieMom

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 01:32:46 AM »
My son's fiance's name is an unusual spelling of a common name. Years ago, when I was really having issues with them dating, (She was 16, he was 19. I was not happy about it.) I typed in her name and the auto-correct changed it -- to the name of his ex-girlfriend, who I really liked. It took a great deal of explaining, but fortunately, he was amused, and he didn't tell her!

Please note, they are now 21 and 24, and I no longer have issues with their relationship. In fact, I went with her to try on wedding dresses a few weeks ago!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »
Text from DS a few weeks ago:

"I'm going to ruler's house after school"

I texted back something like ? ? ?
DS has a very tall friend, and I could see his nickname being "Ruler" or something like that.

Turns out he was going to Tyler's house. Autocorrect doesn't seem to think Tyler is a word...

Jones

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 02:51:51 PM »
My hubby's name is common, Tim. Autocorrect has no problem with that. Our oldest child has a similar name, and I call her Timi for short. Autocorrect changes it to Time.

At least it's not Bob and Bobi...I can guess what it would do to that....

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »
I once sent DH a text telling him his pants were in the dryer. Somehow that turned into " ur parents are in the dryer. Pls take them out when u get home"

Hope they're permanent press!    :(

emwithme

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
My hubby's name is common, Tim. Autocorrect has no problem with that. Our oldest child has a similar name, and I call her Timi for short. Autocorrect changes it to Time.

At least it's not Bob and Bobi...I can guess what it would do to that....

My best friend's sister is called Vicki.  When predictive texts first came out, she would regularly be autochanged to "Ticki".  She now has an extra nickname, but the funniest thing is that the predictive text on my new smartphone changes Ticki to Vicki..

parrot_girl

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 04:50:25 AM »
I still have no idea how this one happened. When King Parrot and I were on our honeymoon, my oldest sister texted to ask if we wanted her to pick us up from the airport, saving us a taxi fare. I was very pleased, and texted back "Thanks heaps, will text you flight numbat"
She's still got that one on her phone, as it made her laugh so much!