Author Topic: iphones for Christmas  (Read 5892 times)

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Re: iphones for Christmas
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »
Tell him which one you prefer.  Presumably you are at a stage in your relationship where there is no "gold digger" test, so it's okay to be honest with yourself and him about what you want.

Personally, I am *almost* ready to be wooed to Android - Google's answer to Siri is code-named Majel, and the Android has better Star Trek apps.  :)
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

angilamae

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »
I agree with Queen of all things and get the 4.  I have it and love it.

the 4S would be nice but she is right that there isnt much difference and I would feel more comfortable asking for the cheaper but still good phone.  Its a heckuva lot cheaper too I think.
I can resist everything except temptation-Oscar Wilde

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »
Before Leo and I were engaged he use to buy me expensive things and i freaked me out.  But I had to remember that to me what was expensive was nothing to him since he made 5X what I make.  Every spring he gets a massive bonus at work.  Literally his bonus is 2/3s what I make in the year.  He bought me a tablet computer last year just because.

I had to learn to relax and just accept the gifts because he enjoys buying them for me.  And it isn't the romantic relationship.  This Christmas he has gone crazy buying gifts for my family and all of our friends.  He doesn't normally do Christmas but since I do he has embraced it.  He likes being generous and can afford it so I let him.

If you are the one who will be paying for the monthly fee then be honest about the phone you want and be grateful.  He wouldn't offer if he couldn't do it.
93 93/93

mw8242

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 05:16:28 PM »
I knew my bf a few months and bought him really expensive tickets to something for a milestone bday. Like yourself it was a commited relationship and we are still very much still together. He loved the gift and I loved being able to give it to him.

I say go for the 4s if that's what you want. Why get a gift that you like when you could have one you love. I love all things technology but can't always buy them for myself. When someone is gifting me something I want I'm specific - it's a gift. They don't have to get the item if what I want is too expensive and then I don't have to have a kinda/sorta what I want gift that I will probably upgrade anyway. 

If you know your bf and he wants this for you to be happy - then get what you want.

My bf gave me something mildly expensive and everytime I use it (almost daily) I think of him and smile a bit at how sweet and thoughtful he is to me.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 05:58:21 PM »
I buy exensive gifts. Its what I do. I'm not a big fan of shopping and I'm too lazy/busy to make stuff but I love to give gifts, so I buy 1 really good gift instead of lots of little things. I bought DF a kindle for his birthday in Oct and now an iPod for Christmas. I can afford it, although it means tightening the "fun" budget budget for a month the ease of knowing I got a good gift guarenteed to please makes it worth it. Same as last month when I bought BFF a Laura Mercer make-up set for her birthday last month.

Plus, I love to give a good gift, especially a gadget (or make-up) because I get to repeatedly get to see the person use and enjoy it. That gives me long term buyers satisfaction and justifies a high initial cost.

He's offering a good gift, a generous gift, etc but he's also offering an easy gift and one you will use daily. He can buy you the iPhone in mere moments. Heck his payment info is probably already in iTunes, he conceivably could buy in about 5 clicks. If he's like me, letting him buy it for you is a nice thing to do for him. :)

Texas Mom

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 09:54:36 PM »
With the 4S, the cost is dependent on which model you get.  They run $200 (16GB), $300 (32GB) amd $400 (64GB).

If you don't use your phone as a portable iPod, a 16 should be fine.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 10:32:18 PM »
With the 4S, the cost is dependent on which model you get.  They run $200 (16GB), $300 (32GB) amd $400 (64GB).

That's if you are upgradeable and you sign a new 2 year contract with your provider (and you purchase the phone from that provider).  Just purchasing the phones outright is MUCH more expensive, like starting at $650.

kdbug

• The only people that I need in my life are the ones that have shown me that they need me in theirs.
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »

That's if you are upgradeable and you sign a new 2 year contract with your provider (and you purchase the phone from that provider).  Just purchasing the phones outright is MUCH more expensive, like starting at $650.

Wait...what?! I can't to that. That is way too much!

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »

Here's something else to think about...

While I personally think you should let him by the gift he wants to get you and the one you ultimately would like, if spending $ on you is something that you will always be uncomfortable with, then you need to tell him.

This is a committed relatationship, and I'm assuming one that at the very least, has a great potential for lasting for a very long time.  If you talk yourself into accepting this gift now, and he continues to want to buy you extremely expensive gifts in the future, then you'll always be uncomfortable....and that could strain the relationship unnecessarily.

So, if you can't get to the point where you're ever comfortable with letting an SO spend large sums of money on you (as long as he can afford it), then you need to explain things to him and work out what does make you comfortable.

Again, I think you should accept the gift.  This isn't a passing relationship.  But, if when push comes to shove, you just aren't comfortable, then make that clear now. 

RandomAngel

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »
There's one thing that I keep getting stuck on: to the best of my understanding, the 4S is generally considered an update/upgrade of the 4. Not everyone thinks it's a much better version, but I am not aware of ways in which it is thought to be worse. So...price aside, is there some reason why a person might prefer a 4?

It just feels odd to me that, having decided that he wants to get you an iPhone, he would then ask you whether you'd rather have the newest version or not. It's like offering someone a plane ticket and then saying they can "choose" whether they'd rather fly coach or first class. It's a great offer either way, but isn't the gift-giver's budget supposed to be the gift-giver's business? Pretty much any recipient would rather have the first-class ticket, most would feel guilty saying so, and the giver should just work out what they can afford and purchase accordingly.

It just kind of feels like you're on the spot here in a way that would make me very uncomfortable, and I'm not clear on what it adds to the gift to put you there. :-\

kdbug

• The only people that I need in my life are the ones that have shown me that they need me in theirs.
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »
There's one thing that I keep getting stuck on: to the best of my understanding, the 4S is generally considered an update/upgrade of the 4. Not everyone thinks it's a much better version, but I am not aware of ways in which it is thought to be worse. So...price aside, is there some reason why a person might prefer a 4?

It just feels odd to me that, having decided that he wants to get you an iPhone, he would then ask you whether you'd rather have the newest version or not. It's like offering someone a plane ticket and then saying they can "choose" whether they'd rather fly coach or first class. It's a great offer either way, but isn't the gift-giver's budget supposed to be the gift-giver's business? Pretty much any recipient would rather have the first-class ticket, most would feel guilty saying so, and the giver should just work out what they can afford and purchase accordingly.

It just kind of feels like you're on the spot here in a way that would make me very uncomfortable, and I'm not clear on what it adds to the gift to put you there. :-\

You nailed it.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »

Actually, some people don't want the voice interface. I might not want a voice assist with a phone when I'm ready to upgrade, as much as I like the idea of one with Majel Barrett's voice. 

My environment is almost *never* private, and additional soundsets would always be slightly intrusive.  (I work in an open floor plan office, with many of the people in the office on the phone for extended periods, and then I am on mass transit for nearly an hour.) 

Unlike many commuters, I actually care about not adding to the noise pollution, to the point where if I want to have an extended conversation, I will text with a friend while on transit, rather than talk with her, even if she is seated across the aisle from me.  I've *been* next to the 45 minute Merciful Oranges, do you really have to let me hear *every* *single* *detail* about <topic> conversation, and don't want to put anybody else in that position. 

The price point, too, is more like "would you rather fly business class or first class", not "would you rather fly coach or first class". 

RandomAngel

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 12:50:43 PM »
The price point, too, is more like "would you rather fly business class or first class", not "would you rather fly coach or first class".

I totally almost used that instead, but then I worried I was being an international-flight snob--most domestic U.S. flights only have the two classes. Then after I posted I was all, "What if OP isn't in the U.S.?" and it was all downhill from there. ;) I think the point remains valid regardless of the precise price difference: I think it's rather thoughtless to offer someone a "choice" between a good thing and a more-expensive-but-almost-universally-considered-"better" thing.

OP, since you seem to feel similarly, this is the point where I'd suggest opting out. Something like: "Awesome Guy, an iPhone would be a generous and very thoughtful gift. But I'm uncomfortable getting this involved in picking my own present, because it feels too much like flat-out asking you to spend money on me. Please just use your best judgment; considering the ideas you've already come up with I'm sure I'll love whatever you choose."

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 01:48:56 PM »

It sounds like you've got some research to do.  How long have you owned your current smart phone?  Are you eligible for an upgrade?  Is he just planning on replacing the phone you have regardless of whether or not you are eligible for an upgrade?  If so, that IS a lot of money.  On top of that, with an iPhone, because they are so expensive to replace if something happens to them, getting the monthly insurance might be something you'd want to consider.  Are you okay with increasing your cell phone bill by $10 per month to cover it?

You've got a lot to think about/talk with him about.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 02:16:14 PM »

I'm curious as to where you got this number.  I just googled the price for the 4S, and the prices I found were $200-$400.