Author Topic: iphones for Christmas  (Read 5579 times)

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: iphones for Christmas
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 02:24:24 PM »
With the 4S, the cost is dependent on which model you get.  They run $200 (16GB), $300 (32GB) amd $400 (64GB).

That's if you are upgradeable and you sign a new 2 year contract with your provider (and you purchase the phone from that provider).  Just purchasing the phones outright is MUCH more expensive, like starting at $650.

I'm curious as to where you got this number.  I just googled the price for the 4S, and the prices I found were $200-$400.

Those prices are with a contract.  If you are not eligible for an upgrade with your carrier, or don't want a contract it's $650.
http://techland.time.com/2011/11/11/apple-now-selling-no-contract-iphone-4s-starting-at-649/
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Donovan

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 03:03:27 PM »
With the 4S, the cost is dependent on which model you get.  They run $200 (16GB), $300 (32GB) amd $400 (64GB).

That's if you are upgradeable and you sign a new 2 year contract with your provider (and you purchase the phone from that provider).  Just purchasing the phones outright is MUCH more expensive, like starting at $650.

I'm curious as to where you got this number.  I just googled the price for the 4S, and the prices I found were $200-$400.

Ah yes, I thought so too until last Monday when I went to get a 4S at the Apple Store.  What they don't tell you is that if you are still under contract with your provider (which I am), you must pay full price which starts at $650 for the 4.  If you want the 4S it went up another $100, and then upwards if you wanted the 32 gb and up again for the 64 gb.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 03:07:39 PM »

Ah yes, I thought so too until last Monday when I went to get a 4S at the Apple Store.  What they don't tell you is that if you are still under contract with your provider (which I am), you must pay full price which starts at $650 for the 4.  If you want the 4S it went up another $100, and then upwards if you wanted the 32 gb and up again for the 64 gb.

Both times I ran into this, I just bypassed it by deciding it was cheaper to go with provider B and have two phones for 3-5 weeks, until contract with provider A expired. 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Donovan

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »

Both times I ran into this, I just bypassed it by deciding it was cheaper to go with provider B and have two phones for 3-5 weeks, until contract with provider A expired.

Except I just got a new phone in May, so I have too long a wait until my contract is up and don't want 2 cell phone bills for over a year. I just assumed (yes, I know) that what they were advertising is what they cost.  It certainly did surprise me that's for sure when they told me what my total would be. I even stopped at the Verizon store on my way out just to verify when an upgrade would be available. Iphone 5 here I come!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4

As of right now today the iPhone 4, without contract is $549, not $650.  Ok still not cheap but still $100 less then what you're quoting.

But I presume her beau would go to her cell provider and get her one with the "with contract" discount if for no other reason, cost aside, then to have it working once she gets it and with her established phone number.

JillyJ

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
But as a compromise what I personally would do is say "Can we wait and see if the 4s goes on sale right after the holidays and still call in my Christmas gift?"  I would rather get the better phone a month late at a better price than either under the tree. . . . but I am cheep.

As far as I know Apple products don't ever go on sale.  The price is the price.  The price may drop when a newer version comes out, but then you aren not getting the latest version, which is already the dilemma (between the 4 and 4S).

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 04:35:04 PM »
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4

As of right now today the iPhone 4, without contract is $549, not $650.  Ok still not cheap but still $100 less then what you're quoting.

That is correct for the 8GB.  The 8GB iPhone was not mentioned in the post I was responding to.

bah12

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 07:57:16 PM »
I'm not sure how much the exact price of the phone matters to the OP's particular situation.  My understanding is that whether or not the phone is $650 or $200, she has an issue with someone purchasing something that expensive.

To me, she either needs to:

a) Try to get past the discomfort as having an SO buy expensive gifts is not inappropriate

or

b) Realize that this is something that she just can't accept and let her SO know that.

This is more than just an issue of this one gift, this one time.  Surely, this guy is going to buy gifts for her in the future and if he's willing to spend the money to get her something she needs and wants now, then he's probably going to want to get her something equally as or more expensive in the future.  The OP needs to figure out what her limits are and communicate them to him.  It's not an unreasonable conversation for a couple to come up with "rules of engagement" on gift giving.  DH and I had this discussion when we were dating and the rules still apply today...many, many years later.

JaneJensen

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 10:54:15 AM »
I too am one of those strange people that feel s all squicky when people spend money on me. Not so much a dinner out or something easily reciprocated, but once it reaches about the 100 dollar mark I feel- just panicky about it almost- like I need to hurry and make it "even" somehow.

OP- I would not accept this fancy shmancy expensive phone. I'd say something along the lines of wanting to wait for a sale.. or not sure you really like the features of xx phone and you want to think about it awhile longer. Then, if pressed, give him alternatives for a more modest gift.

Then, I'd go to your cell phone provider and see about getting your current phone fixed since you're having problems with it, or wait a few months and then upgrade it by yourself. 

One thing to help you decide- pretend that you don't know your BF. What would you be doing right now about your phone situation? Would you yourself go out and spend 400.00 on a phone? would you switch to a new, but cheap non-touch screen type phone?  would you make-do and just deal with the one you have? Whatever the choice you would make all by yourself is also an acceptable and generally comfortable choice to receive as a gift.

Cami

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2011, 02:32:08 PM »
I would probably be uncomfortable with someone spending that kind of money on me. I must admit, however, that is due to my own life experience that tells me that expensive gifts always come with strings made of barbed wire. 

kdbug

• The only people that I need in my life are the ones that have shown me that they need me in theirs.
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »
I thought I would let you all know that I did decide to go with the 4S. It was what he was pushing for and I decided that if he wanted to spend the money on it then it was his choice. The total wound up being around $250 and that included the phone, home charger, car charger, and a super cute cover.

mw8242

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2012, 01:17:38 PM »
and do you love it?  ;D

Congrats on the new toy!

ACBNYC

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »

In the U.S., those prices are absolutely only good with a two year cell contract. On Apple's site, an unlocked contract free iPhone is $649 for 16GB, $749 for 32GB and $849 for 64GB. Yikes!

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4s you have to choose the color then skip to #3 and the prices are shown there.

And congrats! I have the 4 and I love it.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »
Congrats on your new iPhone.  They are awesome, aren't they?

Just curious, though.  Are you now on your boyfriend's cell phone plan?  How did he get the phone for that price?

DuBois

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2012, 04:48:47 PM »
I would be uncomfortable with someone I wasn't engaged to spending that kind of money on me.  And don't forget, he may be springing for the phone, but are willing to pay the monthly bill for a smart phone?

The latter point is a good one. However, the former point is moot, as not everyone measures the seriousness of relationships by how close they are to marriage, as marriage is not the goal for everyone.