Author Topic: Can the Tahini be subbed or omitted?  (Read 800 times)

pendragon1980

Can the Tahini be subbed or omitted?
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »
I found this, can tahini be subbed or omitted? I can't find it in my local market. I do have sesame oil though.

Roasted Eggplant Dip (Serves 6 to 8 )

2 medium eggplants, peeled
1 red bell pepper, seeded
1 red onion, peeled
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons good olive oil
teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
3 tablespoons chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: Can the Tahini be subbed or omitted?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 01:33:51 PM »
I don't like the flavor of sesame seeds so I often leave it out of recipes.  It may affect the texture a little bit, but otherwise it would be fine.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 01:38:46 PM »
You can sub in natural peanut butter - the kind where the only ingredient is peanuts and sometimes salt.  The oil is usually separated and you have to stir it back in before you use it.

(And can we have the directions on how to make said dip?  I lurve baba ganoush but never make it.  You could also sub the eggplant with chick peas and make hummus - basically the same recipe.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

pendragon1980

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:58:15 PM »

jmarvellous

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
If you do use sesame oil, I'd use significantly less than the full recommended tahini amount, and add in a bit more if it seems dry. That'd be my only recommendation for a substitute. Maaaaybe natural (unsweetened) almond butter if you have it.

IMO, tahini is pretty vital to baba ghanouj, but I don't think it'd be ruined without it.

O'Dell

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »
I've used natural peanut butter and it was fine. It tasted a bit different but still good. A touch of sesame seed oil might help out but like jmarvellous said use significantly less. It can be pretty strong.

BTW, I use much more tahini in my hummus and baba ghanouj than what your recipe calls for and peanut butter worked as a substitute. For the amounts you are talking, it really shouldn't be a problem.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »
What I might do is use the natural peanut butter and 1 tbsp of the sesame oil substituted for 1 tbsp of the olive oil.  It would give you the sesame flavour without changing the texture.

Tahini is a paste, not an oil, so swapping 1 for 1 is definitely not a good idea.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 03:34:54 AM »
I found this, can tahini be subbed or omitted? I can't find it in my local market. I do have sesame oil though.

Roasted Eggplant Dip (Serves 6 to 8 )

2 medium eggplants, peeled
1 red bell pepper, seeded
1 red onion, peeled
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons good olive oil
teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
3 tablespoons chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
for this particular recipe (it's pretty much a staple in israel) you can omit the tahini and just pour some olive oil on top, or you can pour some plain yoghurt or yoghurt mixed with herbs (parsley/mint) and garlic, or even mix in some mayo (though i prefer to go the olive oil route).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 04:12:59 AM »

I can't get tahini where I am, so I generally substitute a bit of sesame oil for flavour.