Author Topic: Mich. Residents Receive Letter Calling Christmas Lights 'Pagan'  (Read 14903 times)

SportsFan88

Mich. Residents Receive Letter Calling Christmas Lights 'Pagan'
« on: December 18, 2011, 11:33:50 AM »
Homeowners in Hudsonville, Mich., have been singled out for displaying what an anonymous letter-writer calls "pagan" lights and decorations on their properties.

Read the full article here.

So all of you guys asked for opinions on your Christmas lights, right?

Well behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
America is the land of opportunity, not entitlement.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Mich. Residents Receive Letter Calling Christmas Lights 'Pagan'
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:26:14 PM »
I've heard people object to wreaths and yule logs before, but lights is a new one. Lit candles are a feature in many religions. They aren't exclusively pagan.

And how does the letter writer know what religion the homeowners are? Maybe they wanted pagan symbols.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

HorseFreak

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »
Interesting, my agnostic parents put up a Christmas tree and lights every year. They would probably laugh if they got such a letter.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 12:29:17 PM »
But - there's no link to a photo of the display!  How can we judge for ourselves if we can't see the lights?

Now part of me wants to put up a Nativity scene in lights - but since we live in a multi-cultural neighborhood in a different state, I'm pretty sure the crazy person who wrote that letter wouldn't see my lights.

The rest of me is reminding me that the doctor said to give my wrists a rest for a bit longer (tendinitis - tennis elbow type thing but in my wrists & ankles, too)................

Time for some hot chocolate (which is a pagan thing - Aztec, if I recall - but I prefer whipped cream in mine to chili peppers...........).  Oh well.................as long as I'm addressing those pagan Christmas cards.....................
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »
From the article:
Christmas displays honor the "Pagan Sun-God"
::) Which "Pagan Sun-God"?  Apollo? Freyr? Helios? Mithras? Lugh? Ra? Aten? Sol Invictus? Huitzilopochtli?   

And you can't forget the Sun Goddesses -- Amaterasu, Arinna, Sunna.

If you're going to fuss about us Evil Pagans and the deities we revere, you have to be more specific!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 12:44:13 PM »
From the article:
Christmas displays honor the "Pagan Sun-God"
::) Which "Pagan Sun-God"?  Apollo? Freyr? Helios? Mithras? Lugh? Ra? Aten? Sol Invictus? Huitzilopochtli?   

And you can't forget the Sun Goddesses -- Amaterasu, Arinna, Sunna.

If you're going to fuss about us Evil Pagans and the deities we revere, you have to be more specific!

WIN. And that letter is nutty. My family is a blend of Lutheran and agnostic, and we put up lights all around our house.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »
It's highly unlikely Christ was born at this time of year, the vast majority of stories and tales surrounding his birth have almost no biblical support, the holiday was placed in midwinter to compete with all the other midwinter holidays, many of the traditions were continuations from existing traditions for other religions . . . and on and on and on.

Getting picky about which bits of the modern traditions are and are not Christian is practically nonsensical  ;D

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 03:07:57 PM by hyzenthlay »

JaneJensen

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »
I didn't even know lights were considered religious. I thought they had something to do with lighting up the dark winter days and making things more festive around the winter solstice.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 01:44:12 PM »
I didn't even know lights were considered religious. I thought they had something to do with lighting up the dark winter days and making things more festive around the winter solstice.

POD.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 02:19:06 PM »
I really don't think the background to a tradition matters. 
If Christmas lights were one of their ways to celebrate Christ's birth, than the lights were Christian Christmas Lights. 
If the neighbor's lights were a way to celebrate XYZ (XYZ unrelated to Christ), then that is fine too.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 02:38:41 PM »
Does anyone remember 'Silverlock' by John Myers Myers?

It's a wonderful fantasy novel that takes a smug business school graduate through all the major religious practices and mythologies of the world.  Part of the fun of the book lies in picking out the references.  There are also many song parodies that may not be parodies at all. 

If I had a decorated house that received one of those letters, I would be sorely tempted to invite people of  all beliefs to gather on the lawn and sing the Silverlock version of 'That Old Time Religion'.  As I recall, one verse runs along the lines of:

'Let's give a cheer for Isis.
She'll help us in a crisis.
Her cult is very nice
And it's good enough for me.'

'Gimme that old time religion (etc) with enthusiastic clapping and swaying. 

Okay.  I'm going back into my hole now but, how I would love to see that sort of thing! 

PeterM

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 02:59:15 PM »
It's highly unlikely Christ was born at this time of year, the vast majority of stories and tales surrounding his birth have almost no biblical support, the holiday was placed in midwinter to compete with all the other midwinter holidays, many of the traditions were continuations from existing traditions for other religions . . . and on and on and on.

Getting picky about was bits of the modern traditions are and are not Christian is practically nonsensical  ;D

Exactly. When I saw this bit,

Christmas displays honor the "Pagan Sun-God" and do not pertain to the birth of Jesus

My first thought was, "Know what else probably doesn't pertain to the birth of Jesus? December 25th."

Not to mention the many, many, many people in this country who celebrate Christmas in a way that really has nothing at all to do with religion. People like lights. If you don't, don't look at 'em.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 05:53:31 PM »
If I got a letter like this, I would laugh!!

I always thought that Christmas lights were a representation of the star that led the Three Wise Men to baby Jesus...not sure if my mind just decided that was a good connection or if I actually read it! :P
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 07:18:30 PM »
And what if they, like I, celebrate Yule not Christmas?  We had our Yule party a few days early this year.  I love lights.  This person needs to mind their own business.  If you don't want to see lights move to a neighborhood that bans them.
93 93/93

O'Dell

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »
I happen to be living not too far from Hudsonville. I hadn't heard about this but it doesn't surprise me that it happened. There is a christian sect associated with a specific immigrant population that lives in Hudsonville and nearby communities. Members have rather strong opinions on what other people do and they aren't afraid to voice them. A friend tells me that his family was shunned in his neighborhood because his parents subscribed to another christian religion...doubly so once his parents divorced. Pagans around here tend to keep their faith private because some have had bad things happen when it got around.

It's weird here because in some ways formal etiquette is more important here and it's obvious that I'm an outsider. But in other ways, especially when it comes to religion, etiquette gets tossed out the window and people will do "rude" things like this. I guess they think because their behavior is for a good cause that rudeness (and worse) is okay. It's very odd. Sorta' like a time warp here.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman