Author Topic: Mich. Residents Receive Letter Calling Christmas Lights 'Pagan'  (Read 14760 times)

mlkind1789

Re: Mich. Residents Receive Letter Calling Christmas Lights 'Pagan'
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 09:59:28 AM »
Whoever wrote that is a loon.  As other posters pointed out, there are many things about what we celebrate as Christmas that are taken from the pagans and are just flat out incorrect.

I do love the last person's reaction though...
Hoekman said. "I think next year we should put on a huge display!"

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 11:25:14 AM »
The writer is both rude and daft.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 11:29:53 AM »

Now part of me wants to put up a Nativity scene in lights - but since we live in a multi-cultural neighborhood in a different state, I'm pretty sure the crazy person who wrote that letter wouldn't see my lights.

I have to wonder what the letter writer would think of a light display I saw years ago. It was Jesus on the cross done all in white lights, with a single string of red lights hanging from the palm of each hand. Not exactly a display to honor pagan sun gods...

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
You know..maybe lights and christmas displays really being Pagan explains the mysterious decorations down the road from my house! There's a house with some normal, average christmas decorations, but then it gets kind of weird. They have an artificial white pre-light christmas tree that is decorated with soda cans hanging upside-down from a large oak tree in their yard. Beneath the tree is one of those light-up deer (the kind made from grape vine-like material). The deer is positioned so that it looks like it is gazing up at the dangling tree. At night, the deer and upside-down tree are lit, and the whole scene is illuminated by a spotlight. The combination of the tree hanging upside-down and the spotlight sort of makes it look like the tree is being abducted by aliens while the deer watches in horror.

It makes sense, now! It must be some Pagan thing that is in honor of the sun god!

thunderroad

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »
The Catholic church and school I pass by every night on my way home from work will be delighted to know that the lights they put out every year at this time -- in the shape of a Christmas tree -- have nothing to do with Christmas. 

I think I will refrain from sending them a letter, however.  ;-)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 12:02:12 PM »
You know..maybe lights and christmas displays really being Pagan explains the mysterious decorations down the road from my house! There's a house with some normal, average christmas decorations, but then it gets kind of weird. They have an artificial white pre-light christmas tree that is decorated with soda cans hanging upside-down from a large oak tree in their yard. Beneath the tree is one of those light-up deer (the kind made from grape vine-like material). The deer is positioned so that it looks like it is gazing up at the dangling tree. At night, the deer and upside-down tree are lit, and the whole scene is illuminated by a spotlight. The combination of the tree hanging upside-down and the spotlight sort of makes it look like the tree is being abducted by aliens while the deer watches in horror.

It makes sense, now! It must be some Pagan thing that is in honor of the sun god!

Lilghts are already up, but maybe next year

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »
My lights are for the New Year darnit!   ;D

Arizona

MyFamily

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 12:17:48 PM »

I think we'll need to see a picture of this to truly appreciate the awesomeness of this display.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 02:26:42 PM »

I think we'll need to see a picture of this to truly appreciate the awesomeness of this display.

sadly, they did not have the spotlight on when I took the picture.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
^^^^That's pretty amusing! Is the Santa display that's seen in the background on the same property?
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »
Wait, I though NOT putting up lights was waging war on Christmas, now putting UP lights is also waging war on Christmas?  I mean I know my mere presence as a pagan is offensive, but I try to keep track of the other, smaller ways I'm also offensive.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Shea

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 07:56:01 PM »
My first thought was, "You say 'pagan' like it's a bad thing!" >:D.

The letter writer is a whackadoo and needs to mind his/her own business.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

kkl123

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 07:57:12 PM »
And then there are Hannukah candles...

MyFamily

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »
Thank you, LadyClaire - that is incredible!!!

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »
^^^^That's pretty amusing! Is the Santa display that's seen in the background on the same property?

Nope, that belongs to the people behind them.

However, they do have another odd decoration, but this is year-round. There is a large tree stump in their front yard. Last year, they decided to carve the top of the tree stump into a bear head. Not a realistic one, though. This is more like a cartoon teddy bear head, painted black and white, but not panda markings. It's also not really in proportion to the rest of the stump. The stump is huge and the head is tiny. They did not do anything to the rest of the stump, either. It's just a tree stump, still covered with bark. I actually use it to give people directions to my house. "Ok, when you pass the bear head on a stump, you'll see two more driveways and then the entrance to our road.."

They made a santa hat for the bear head this year and dressed the rest of the stump in a santa clause outfit. So now it's this massive santa bear with a teeny tiny head.