Author Topic: 26 December  (Read 3797 times)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
26 December
« on: December 18, 2011, 06:54:25 PM »
What do you usually do on 26th December, do you go back to work or is it a holiday. It might be different this year with Christmas being on a Sunday?

In Australia, Monday is a public holiday because Sunday is not a work day. 26 December is usually the Boxing Day holiday, so Tuesday is a holiday in lieu of that.

Victoria

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: 26 December
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »
I'm a teacher so we are off between the 25th and New Year.  A lot of people I know work.  I know a couple of people who work for the post office who are usually off but they work an extra long day the 24th.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »
Most US businesses are closed on the 26th.  Some even will be closed for that entire week.

kckgirl

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »
I am a government employee. This year, since the actual holiday is on Sunday, Monday is the holiday and government offices will be closed. Since Christmas is usually a holiday for businesses, I assume that a lot of businesses will be closed as well on Monday. Most retail businesses only close for Christmas day on whatever day of the week it happens, and will reopen the next morning, as usual.
Maryland

Larrabee

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »
I think its the same in Aus as the UK. 

The 25th and 26th are usually bank holidays here too but as the 25th falls on a Sunday the 26th and the 27th are Bank Holidays here instead too.

Boxing Day is usually a day for visiting family you didn't get to see on Christmas Day.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
December 26 (Boxing Day) is a stat holiday in some provinces in Canada, but not all.  Where I am, it's not a stat holiday but the majority of people in administrative-type jobs do get it off with pay - so many that it's often thought that that's indeed a stat holiday.  However, most people who have to work it - retail, restaurant, hospital/police/emergency services - don't get time-and-a-half as they would for a real statutory holiday.

oz diva

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »
Oh and I forgot, I don't go, but there is ALWAYS a cricket match at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) on Boxing Day. The first day of the 2nd cricket test - it lasts 5 days. This year, we're playing New Zealand (I think).

Victoria

Bethczar

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:46:26 PM »
Most US businesses are closed on the 26th.  Some even will be closed for that entire week.

I'd have to disagree with that. I only know of one business that is regularly closed the day after Christmas, and none that close during that week. Many people take time off during that week, so staff may be reduced, but businesses are usually open.

This year, because of Christmas being on a Sunday, I have off Dec 26 (& Jan 2, which is great because I can watch the Rose Bowl)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:49:15 PM by Bethczar »

Bluenomi

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »
Oh and I forgot, I don't go, but there is ALWAYS a cricket match at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) on Boxing Day. The first day of the 2nd cricket test - it lasts 5 days. This year, we're playing New Zealand (I think).

Don't forget the Sydney to Hobart! Boxing Day just isn't right without cricket and the yatch race. Not that I watch either but the men folk seem to like it.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »
My employer is closed the week between Christmas and New Year (this year it extends to Jan. 2). 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 10:41:24 PM »
Where I'm at (Dallas, Texas), some places will close the day after Christmas or even the whole week, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule.  My office doesn't give the day after Christmas off, although we get Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. (My brother only gets the 25th, not the 24th.)  Since Christmas is a Sunday this year, we get Friday and Monday off.  If I'm able, I always take the day after Christmas off just to have an extra day to relax and recuperate.

oz diva

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »

Don't forget the Sydney to Hobart! Boxing Day just isn't right without cricket and the yatch race. Not that I watch either but the men folk seem to like it.

Oh yes, the start is beautiful, too. All the spinnakers out.

Victoria

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 11:55:56 PM »
In the US, the official holiday is Sunday, Dec. 25. The Federal government is giving government employees Monday, Dec. 26 off as the Christmas holiday. However, non-government employers do not have to do that.

Most retail establishments will be open on Dec. 26, as will a lot of restaurants. Most of the people working office or desk jobs will likely have Dec. 26th off, as many employers follow the Federal holiday schedule. There is no Boxing Day holiday here.

While lots of places do close down or go to skeleton crews for the week between Christmas and New Years, just as many do not. I have some not-so-fond memories of one job where I worked until 5 pm Christmas Eve, drove three hours to my family's house, and spent less than 24 hours there so that I could drive three hours back Christmas night, as I had to be at work at 8 am on Dec. 26. It was a) a state government job and b) at a university which was pretty much closed down for the week, but my boss insisted that someone be there at all times, and as the newest hire, the privilege fell to me for three years on a row. Then I got a new job.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 06:34:32 AM »

India or Sri Lanka most likely. I know it's someone from the Subcontinent.
Stewart/Colbert '16

Ereine

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 08:20:41 AM »
We don't get extra time off in Finland if a holiday happens to fall on Saturday or Sunday but December 26 is a public holiday (and the only day off I have this Christmas without using my vacation days). It's called tapaninpäivä or St. Stephen's day and traditionally people would ride in their sleighs to visit their relatives. I think that visiting is still common, though without the sleighs. Shops will ve closed and the next day the big sales start.