Author Topic: 26 December  (Read 3381 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: 26 December
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
This year, because Christmas falls on a Sunday, many offices will be closed on the 26th.  If Christmas fell on a Saturday, they'd be closed on the 24th. 

When Christmas falls during the week, the 25th is the only day many offices are closed.

Rohanna

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »
Boxing Day is a holiday in Ontario for pretty much everyone except the poor retail workers, for whom it's a shopping day of terribleness akin to American Black Friday sales (usually minus the trampling and pepper spraying, we are Canadian after all :P).
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Yarnie

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 11:00:01 AM »
This year, I get the 23rd AND the 26th off.   I'm not sure why, other than the big wigs decided to be nice to us. :)  In every salaried job I've been at, if a regular holiday falls on a weekend, we get a week day off.

To make things even more confusing, if a holiday falls on a Tuesday or a Thursday, I've had work places give the Monday or Friday off, just to make a nice four day weekend. 

My husband is one of the lucky ones - his workplace just closes between Christmas and New Years, and everyone still gets paid. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »

To make things even more confusing, if a holiday falls on a Tuesday or a Thursday, I've had work places give the Monday or Friday off, just to make a nice four day weekend. 

I had one job that did that--everyone got the Friday after Thanksgiving off, for example. One of the managers told me that they decided it was easier to give everyone the day off than to spend hours and hours figuring out who could take vacation that day, as lots of people would want the 4 day weekend, but the office still had to be adequately staffed if it was open. Apparently, no one was ever happy with the results of who got to take what days off around holidays and closing the office was eventually the best solution.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Betelnut

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »
Librarian here--we, being in the States, would never normally get off "Boxing Day" since that's not a holiday here but since Christmas is on a Sunday, I do have off the 26th.  At my work we also get off Christmas Eve, so I have off the 23rd this year too (Christmas Eve is on a Saturday).
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »
I work in a museum where we are only closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day (the 26th) and 1 January.

I'll be working on the 24th.

Traditionally Boxing Day is the day when the servants and tradesmen were given their presents- their Christmas Boxes. The gentry would go out to hunt, and you can still see the traditional "meets" if you know where to go. There are also Boxing Day football matches.
NE England

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »
I get the entire week between Christmas and New Year's off, plus the following Monday.  But I work at a college, so that's basically a school break.

I'll still take it, though!  :D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
We get the weekday closest to Christmas off, so my office is closed Monday. Ordinarily, though, December 26 would be just another work day. A very quiet one, mind you! That's prime "get all that old filing done" time.
Words mean things.

tjika

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »
Here (the Netherlands) december 26th is 2nd Christmas day. Its a national holiday. It's usually celebrates identically to christmas day but with different people and slightly lower key.
For example, 25th I will join my immediate family (5 of us) plus SO's at my parents house for a big long fancy dinner (think thanksgiving but no turkey), then the 26th we have dinner with my mothers family ( grandparents, siblings, nieces etc.). Sometimes members of my dad's family will join us, but they usually have different plans and we generally get together dec 31st during the day.

If the 25th and 26th fall in the weekend we're out of luck.

Betelnut

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »
Here (the Netherlands) december 26th is 2nd Christmas day. Its a national holiday. It's usually celebrates identically to christmas day but with different people and slightly lower key.
For example, 25th I will join my immediate family (5 of us) plus SO's at my parents house for a big long fancy dinner (think thanksgiving but no turkey), then the 26th we have dinner with my mothers family ( grandparents, siblings, nieces etc.). Sometimes members of my dad's family will join us, but they usually have different plans and we generally get together dec 31st during the day.

So, even if the 26th is called a "National Holiday", if it was on Sunday, for example, you wouldn't get that Monday off?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Wench

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »
As I work for local government, we mostly shut down between christmas and new year and I am on holiday from 24th December until 3rd January.

In the UK if a bank holiday like Christmas or Boxing day falls on a weekend we get a bank holiday on the next available week day.  I think it makes up for the fact that we only have eight bank holidays compared to the rest of Europe which I think averages 10 - 12 bank holidays.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 08:57:31 PM »
In Australia, Monday is a public holiday because Sunday is not a work day. 26 December is usually the Boxing Day holiday, so Tuesday is a holiday in lieu of that.

Same in Canada.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
I have no days off for Christmas this year, due to the schedule.  Also technically have no vacation (used to be unlimited, now "discretionary"). Trying to get everything done to take off between Christmas and New Years, but we will see.

Ereine

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 12:45:33 AM »

So, even if the 26th is called a "National Holiday", if it was on Sunday, for example, you wouldn't get that Monday off?

In Finland we wouldn't, because the national holiday already happened, on the Sunday. According to Wikipedia we have 13 national holidays, of those two are always Saturdays (you can still benefit from them even if you don't usually work Saturdays as some vacation day systems require a certain number of them to be Saturdays), one is a Sunday (Pentecost) and one a Thursday (Feast of the Ascension) the others may be fall on a weekend (except for Good Friday or Easter Sunday and Monday, obviously). So we get up to 10 public holidays, depending on the year. And people typically get 4 weeks of vacation. 

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 08:49:53 AM »
Four weeks? Really. I thought it was five. I am no doubting you at all, just really surprised. I won't consider a job with less than 29 days leave so not moving back anytime soon.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green