Author Topic: 26 December  (Read 3063 times)

Ereine

Re: 26 December
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 09:02:51 AM »
It probably is actually five weeks or even more but I have no personal experience of it (freelancing and temp work isn't good for vacations) so I didn't think of checking it.

Perfect Circle

• The followers of chaos, out of control
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »
It probably is actually five weeks or even more but I have no personal experience of it (freelancing and temp work isn't good for vacations) so I didn't think of checking it.

It's been a while since I last worked in Finland, so I don't really know. But Google says it's 2.5 days for every month which makes it 30 days once you've been in with the same employer for a year. It's two days before that.

I guess Finns often still take a long summer holiday and a shorter winter one, I know my parents do that.

Going back to the Boxing/St Stephens day thing, it's a bank holiday for me, but my husband doesn't automatically get bank holidays off and will be at work. I'm taking the three working days off next week so I have a nice long break coming up. Can't come soon enough!
In all this talk of time
Talk is fine
But I don't want to stay around
Why can't we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet

tjika

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »
Here (the Netherlands) december 26th is 2nd Christmas day. Its a national holiday. It's usually celebrates identically to christmas day but with different people and slightly lower key.
For example, 25th I will join my immediate family (5 of us) plus SO's at my parents house for a big long fancy dinner (think thanksgiving but no turkey), then the 26th we have dinner with my mothers family ( grandparents, siblings, nieces etc.). Sometimes members of my dad's family will join us, but they usually have different plans and we generally get together dec 31st during the day.

If the 25th and 26th fall in the weekend we're out of luck.

So, even if the 26th is called a "National Holiday", if it was on Sunday, for example, you wouldn't get that Monday off?

Nope. :(

Betelnut

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »
Here (the Netherlands) december 26th is 2nd Christmas day. Its a national holiday. It's usually celebrates identically to christmas day but with different people and slightly lower key.
For example, 25th I will join my immediate family (5 of us) plus SO's at my parents house for a big long fancy dinner (think thanksgiving but no turkey), then the 26th we have dinner with my mothers family ( grandparents, siblings, nieces etc.). Sometimes members of my dad's family will join us, but they usually have different plans and we generally get together dec 31st during the day.

If the 25th and 26th fall in the weekend we're out of luck.

So, even if the 26th is called a "National Holiday", if it was on Sunday, for example, you wouldn't get that Monday off?

Nope. :(

Aw!  So not nice!  That's definitely not how it works here!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

JoW

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 11:40:14 PM »
I'm in the US, working in manufacturing. 

We would normally get the Christmas Eve and Christmas off, Dec 24 and 25.  This year thats Saturday and Sunday so we get Friday and Monday.  The schools are closed all next week, so many parents are taking vacation that week.  We also have off Dec 30-Jan 1.  Our process don't take well to being broken up like that, so we aren't running much next week.