Author Topic: Rude reactions to gifts  (Read 31921 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Rude reactions to gifts
« Reply #210 on: December 18, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »

Thirded. But I did crack up when the girl gave "Hot Pockets" as an example of her mom's "great cooking."

gramma dishes: As far as the boy in the striped shirt goes... I almost wonder if there was more going on there than just "I don't like this gift." I know it's an interesting assumption, but I could easily see a situation where a kid is being teased at school by being called "g@y" and the like. And then his parents give him a Hello Kitty shirt and it's just too much to take.

I had a similar thought about the boy in the striped shirt. The boy at the end - in my experience yes he probably talks to his teachers like that and his parents come to meetings and agree with him.

My cousin could pull this off with their kids - and the kids would just laugh it off. Then the parents would be on the receiving end of a prank.  They have a slightly off kilter sense of humor that they got from their dad. Their Dad knew where the line was. I was very skittish, because of being bullied at school. He included me by having help pull off pranks, but the any type of prank he pulled on me was gentler than the other kids got.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2011, 11:51:58 AM »
I was the rude one (although I tried to hide my reaction).

I don't hunt, dislike team sports and was raised in the middle of a city.  My father-in-law hunts, is into football and was raised on a farm.

His gifts to me on Christmas are always "off".  Usually I put on a good face and donate it later, but last year...

I opened the first gift and it was this book.  For just a second my brain went "Why would he think I would be interested in this?" and I am sure my eyes narrowed.  Then I remembered my manners, but I am sure he saw.  Unfortunately the other gifts were about the same, but I recovered enough to make sure I didn't react as badly to them.

Betelnut

« Reply #212 on: December 20, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »

I don't hunt, dislike team sports and was raised in the middle of a city.  My father-in-law hunts, is into football and was raised on a farm.

His gifts to me on Christmas are always "off".  Usually I put on a good face and donate it later, but last year...

I opened the first gift and it was this book.  For just a second my brain went "Why would he think I would be interested in this?" and I am sure my eyes narrowed.  Then I remembered my manners, but I am sure he saw.  Unfortunately the other gifts were about the same, but I recovered enough to make sure I didn't react as badly to them.

LOL!  At least he got the Goddess part right!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #213 on: December 20, 2011, 02:53:25 PM »
My grandmother was not present at one Christmas get-together, but she had sent presents to be opened.  Well, that was the year my grandmother learned to sew underwear.

Think granny panties times 2.  Enough material to hide your entire bottom half plus a few small animals to boot.  So much material in fact that I think she ran out of money and when it was time to buy the elastic, she skimped.  I couldn't fit my hand, let alone my leg through the leg holes.

The look of horror on my one cousin's face as she unfolded and unfolded and unfolded this blue nylon tent is one of my cherished Christmas memories.  We laughed until we were sick, and then dutifully called to think her calmly.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

mabelle

« Reply #214 on: December 20, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »
Well, that was the year my grandmother learned to sew underwear.
1) I think granny didn't learn too well :D and 2) good on all of you for thanking her calmly.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #215 on: December 20, 2011, 03:42:51 PM »

Lol, I try more to be Prince Charming, but my wife definitely is a goddess!

Betelnut

« Reply #216 on: December 20, 2011, 03:43:46 PM »

Oops!  LOL!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2011, 04:49:48 AM »

That makes the gift even weirder.   ???
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)