Author Topic: Possible Last Minute Guest for Christmas  (Read 2070 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Possible Last Minute Guest for Christmas
« on: December 20, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »
My oldest nephew told me last night that a friend of his would be home alone for Christmas and that my nephew might not be there if he had to work early on the 26th so the two of them would spend it together.

So I came up with a plan for my nephew to just bring his friend, we'd have an earlier dinner on Christmas day and the two of them could head back together.  (They work together and are likely to have the same shift.)  My brother and SIL and nephew will talk it over and let me know.

So my question:  Obviously, we won't have gifts for this friend.  I don't know if he will have already opened gifts with his family.  I'm sure we can pull together a stocking by snitching a few things from everyone else's and I've already bought an extra scratch off lottery ticket, that are traditional in my family for stockings.  Does this sound OK?

(I plan to treat him like family.  He'll be peeling potatoes with my nephews.   ;D)

I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Possible Last Minute Guest for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:36:56 PM »
It sounds very nice.  I hope he takes you up on the offer!

MaggieB

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 07:13:02 AM »
I'm sure he'll be touched.  That's very sweet of you.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 08:11:47 AM »
sounds lovely!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Jloreli

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 09:31:04 AM »
My house is known for having room for one more on the holidays....sometimes it ends up being room for 3 or four more once all the "strays" come from various sources. So I buy several cans of mixed nuts, tins of butter cookies, and a couple of potted amaryllis bulbs and wrap the up/stick bows on. Those are generic enough that most people can use them and I've yet to have anyone turn up their nose at them. Our extra guests are mostly a polite bunch except my stepson's BIL who will not be invited back.
Any of those spare gifts that aren't used go to my offices where the consumables are consumed and the amaryllis bulbs find a home.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:17:35 AM »
I talked to my Dad last night.  He'd already bought a turkey but it was a little on the small side for what we normally do (biggest one they had).  He did see great big ones in another store so when I told him we might have one more, he decided to go back out this morning and get a bigger turkey!  The smaller one won't go to waste - I'll buy it off of him and cook it to make my own TV dinners when my stock runs low.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »
Your plan sounds both practical and appropriately kind for the season. 

Most people picked up this way don't expect to receive gifts.  If the person visiting you is at all polite, anything you give home will be appreciated.  The lottery ticket is a good choice.  So is a gift of non-perishable food. 

If you can get it easily, and the place your guest warrants it, a gift such as a scarf or a knit hat would be offer a warm welcome in more ways than one.

MyFamily

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
I know that it is awkward to not have the gifts for him while others are opening their gifts, but over the years, I've discovered that it isn't the idea of the gifts that matter - it is the feeling of being made to feel welcome that matters.

When I was single I was always invited over to my friends' house for dinner on Wednesday nights, along with her kids.  During Chanukah, she'd have gifts for her kids and their spouses and she'd always include a small gift for me.  But what I remember and cherish the most isn't the stuff she gave me, but the fact that she made me feel so welcome and part of a family.  I helped with the dishes, if I got there early enough I'd help with the cooking, I was treated as part of the family.

So, I think if this friend comes, he is going to have a good time just because you care enough to want him to be happy and comfortable. 

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:29:30 AM »
Your plan sounds both practical and appropriately kind for the season. 

Most people picked up this way don't expect to receive gifts.  If the person visiting you is at all polite, anything you give home will be appreciated.  The lottery ticket is a good choice.  So is a gift of non-perishable food. 

If you can get it easily, and the place your guest warrants it, a gift such as a scarf or a knit hat would be offer a warm welcome in more ways than one.

I agree with this.  I have never been a guest in this situation, but I think that I would feel bad if the host(ess) went and found me a full Christmas gift, because I obviously wouldn't have any for everyone else.  Something small like cookies or a $1 scratch off wouldn't make me feel like I needed to reciprocate in kind (though I would totally be offering to do the dishes)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 10:33:33 AM »
I don't think the friend is hard up; he's a manager at a McDonalds and as the youngest, got pegged to work.  I think his family is just away.  I like the idea of a knit hat, though.  I can probably whip one up tomorrow night and wrap it up for him.  I'll throw in some navy blue yarn when I pack tonight.  (I'd make the 'naughty deer' one but I'm not sure it would be appreciated.   :))

Found out that my nephew doesn't have to work Boxing Day but friend does.  I'll find out later today if there is an extra body - I just need to know so I can throw in an air mattress for one of the boys to sleep on.
Ontario

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
That is really nice, so in keeping with the spirit of the season, and something I love both doing myself and seeing others do.  To me, as introverted as I am, when it comes to the holidays, the more the merrier.

Earlier this month, a good friend of mine had a falling out with her crazy sister, with whom she'd been living, and really had nowhere to go.  So, we invited her to come stay with us indefinitely.  We have the space, and she's been a good friend of mine for several years; we used to work together.  (Y'all have not heard about her yet because she's been awesome, so nothing to report.)*    ;D  We'd had plans to go out to our best friends' house, Mike and Tracy, for Christmas day.  When they found out that "Linda" was staying here, they included her too, and today, Tracy called me to see what kind of gift Linda might like so she'd have something to open.  I seriously got all teary-eyed.  My friends are amazing, all of them. 

* She cleans my house, cooks dinner when I'm running late at work, and takes my child/picks up my child from school when my schedule is crazy.  She's collecting unemployment while looking for a job, which I hope for her sake that she finds, but I'll miss having her here to make my life so much easier.  The other day, my son came up to me and gave me a hug saying, "Mama, you seem so much happier since Miss Linda has been here.  I like seeing you look relaxed and happy when you get home from work, not stressed out."  My house has seriously been spotless since she moved in, and she also has a really cool dog who gets along great with both of my own dogs and also the cats.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »
And I just found out friend will not be coming down.  I may try to make him a hat anyway; I feel bad for the poor kid being alone on Christmas.

He may have wanted to be home alone, though, for all I know.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 05:07:50 PM »
I know that it is awkward to not have the gifts for him while others are opening their gifts, but over the years, I've discovered that it isn't the idea of the gifts that matter - it is the feeling of being made to feel welcome that matters.

Yep! I think if he's included in the group as you open gifts, and gets to be part of the conversation, he won't feel that hurt about the lack of gifts. And he won't be giving them.

I know that I can amuse myself in that sort of situation.

(and you might be surprised--I bet a couple of people will bring something for him. I know that I would, if I were your SIL. But I'd also not get something that fancy, because he may feel awkward.)

Arrynne

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 01:27:50 PM »
You're doing everything right.   :)  I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.