Author Topic: Happy Holidays v. Merry Christmas and then Happy New Year  (Read 1469 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Happy Holidays v. Merry Christmas and then Happy New Year
« on: December 20, 2011, 02:34:54 PM »
I know some people insist on "Merry CHristmas" and others feel strongly that it should be "Happy Holidays".  Personall, I do not feel strongly about either and receive both as well-intentioned.  However, I have to say I got kind of nitpicky over a display  I saw in front of a store that had huge ornaments.  On one was painted "Happy Holidays" and on the other "Happy New Year".  Isn't the whole point of "Happy Holidays" to include any and all holidays during this time?  to have an all inclusive "Happy Holidays" and then a specific "happy New Year" seems counter-productive to me.  Not rude but just kinda  ???

Amava

Re: Happy Holidays v. Merry Christmas and then Happy New Year
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »
I don't know. When I say "Happy New Year" I don't mean to wish them happiness for the specific holiday of "New Year's Day", but to wish them a lot of happiness for the whole new year that is beginning. Maybe that's how they mean it, too?

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »
Sharnita, do you need an egg nog?

Good wishes of any kind are a good thing.  Unless it's "Merry Christmas, you blankety blank," I'm going to go with it.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 02:52:57 PM »
Some people insist on using "happy holidays" as a replacement for "Merry Christmas" as they feel the latter isn't all encompassing of how everyone views that specific holiday.  Personally, I use Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, but do not get offended when someone says "Happy Holidays". 

But, a greeting, is a greeting, is a greeting.  I have never understood why there has been so much focus on which greeting to use in recent histort (well, I do understand, I guess...). 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 02:56:32 PM »
I say Merry Christmas, but rarely think about saying Happy New Year, unless someone says it to me. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Rivaini

• Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
    • Keto Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 03:04:40 PM »
I don't know. When I say "Happy New Year" I don't mean to wish them happiness for the specific holiday of "New Year's Day", but to wish them a lot of happiness for the whole new year that is beginning. Maybe that's how they mean it, too?

I agree with all of this... I'm wishing happiness for the entire new year, not just the "holiday" day.

And I actually say "Happy Christmas", because we do The Great Dickens Christmas Fair every year, and that's how they roll. ;)
Err on the side of awesome.

NorCal

klm75

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:56:02 AM »
I was told by a lovely woman, in her early 90's, that she didn't understand what all the fuss was about.  Happy Holidays, is just short hand for "Merry Christmas and a happy New Year".

Shopaholic

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 12:20:09 PM »
I always thought that "Happy Holidays" was used to include other December holidays, so as not to accidentally offend a person who doesn't celebrate Christmas.
"Happy New Year" isn't so much a religious holiday, and is more global.

Just my POV.

veryfluffy

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »
I never would have thought that "happy new year" refers to the just the holiday on January 1st, ie New Year's Day. You would really say "happy New Year's Day", if that was the case. To me, the phrase definitely means "best wishes for the whole year that is starting on January 1st".

And just incidentally, the usual greeting in the UK is "Happy Christmas", not "Merry Christmas."

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »
Iíve always wondered why there is a UK/US Happy/Merry divide. Do any ehellions know?

But as other posters have said, I usually take and say "Happy New Year" to encompass the coming of the new year and best wishes for the entire next year, not targeting that particular one-day holiday.