Author Topic: I am sure this has happened to you before...  (Read 9899 times)

Viscountess

Re: I am sure this has happened to you before...
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »
A boyfriend has never called me by an ex's name, but my close friend did call me by her boyfriend's name once.  It was during my birthday a few years ago and she sang "Happy Birthday, dear Josh!"  Didn't bother me and I had a good laugh over it.
"If you don't like something, then change it.  If you can't change it, then change your attitude towards it."

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 05:03:33 PM »
I sometimes go through all of my brother's names before I get to my husbands.... I often realise as I'm saying it, so it comes out sort of "Mik-Sa-And-Mathew"   (assuming my brothers are Mike, Sam and Andy and my husband is Mathew).   

Obviously that is less hurtful than a former S/Os name though, because with a former S/O there's always that worry that perhaps it means something, that it indicates they've been thinking about that person, or harbour some secret desire for you to be that person.  But in reality, 99% of the time, it's a simple brain flop that could happen to anybody.  If it's a one-off occurrence then the nice thing to do is be understanding and don't read anything into it.  I think all parties here handled the situation appropriately.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 05:13:41 PM »
I once called my ex "Daddy" I was really embarrassed.  I was thinking about my dad and slipped up.
93 93/93

jilly

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 06:05:09 PM »
It was late we'd been at the hospital for hours as baby niece was I'll and 5 yr old nephew was playing up alot and I finally snapped bob stop that, sit down, be quiet. Only bob was my boyfriend at the time and yes it does help explain why he's ex.

Then there's the time my DH called me by his ex name while we were on the phone to his mum. He got a who? In stereo and apologised so much I had to laugh our names are similar I didn't mind it meant brain mouth connection not functioning that's all  :D

Ms Aspasia

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 12:43:03 AM »
<snip>Even his phone when he voice dails "Call (me)" it says "Dialing (ex)".
<snip>
Oh, rude phone!  :)

NutMeg

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 04:22:11 AM »
My brother called his current wife by his ex-wife's name once.

When he was making a speech at his daughter's wedding, in front of 200 guests.

And his ex was there.

How did he deal with that?
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

Iris

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 05:51:43 AM »
Some people are just bad with names. I mix up DH and one of my brothers all the time. My SIL has said she regularly gets called "Iris" by my other brother. I call my children each others' names often.

I am a reasonably intelligent person, I promise, my neurons just don't seem to form exclusive pathways for names. It's more "adult male I speak to every day" or "female child of mine". His brain may simply have been following the "woman I love" path and just made a wrong turn at the end. I wouldn't stress about it. At least you're one of the people on that particular path  :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

exitzero

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 06:09:10 AM »
My brother called his current wife by his ex-wife's name once.

When he was making a speech at his daughter's wedding, in front of 200 guests.

And his ex was there.

How did he deal with that?

He got that deer in the headlights look, corrected himself and went on with the speech. Afterwards, he was mortified. Luckily his current wife has a great sense of humor and thought it was the funniest thing ever.

And, of course, we've never let him live it down.

shadowfox79

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 07:22:01 AM »
DH likes to tell people that his mum used to call him "JasonVickyJack!" when he was a kid. On a bad day she would throw in his dad's name and the dog's name as well.

Worse is when your boyfriend introduces you to his friends by the wrong name. And uses the name of the hot girl at work he's mentioned several times.  >:( There's a reason that one is an ex.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »
My mother has repeatedly called me "Rosie".

Rosie was our dog.

It happens. It doesn't mean anything other than a freak misset of neural wiring.

My mother once went through all of our current dogs plus one of her sisters before she got my name right.

I think so long as he doesn't make a habit of it, it's fine.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 09:32:57 AM »
[omit]His brain may simply have been following the "woman I love" path and just made a wrong turn at the end. I wouldn't stress about it. At least you're one of the people on that particular path  :)

This. He loved her, and that's a good thing for *you* - it doesnt mean he hasnt moved on (it seems he has), it means he's experiencing/associating thosevery beloved feelings with *you* now. 

I'd actually call this a positive (in a subconscious way!) :)
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 11:07:54 AM »
I have done that.  Called my ex by another ex's name.  It happens, doesn't mean anything but a simple mistake.  I certainly wouldn't be upset if my BF did that to me, I would just tease him mercilessly.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »
I think the important thing is that he corrected himself*. Mixing up names happens (as you can see by PPs' responses), but IMO the real issue is how they deal with it. Sounds like your BF caught himself quickly.

*My mom will still call me/refer to me by my sister's name and vice versa, and unless we speak up, she'll never realize that she got the names wrong  ::)

edgypeanuts

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 02:03:58 PM »
I have accidentally called my husband the name of my only male co-worker (who I strongly dislike!!)  It makes me feel icky cause I love one and very much not the other, but the mouth sometimes moves faster than the brain.

EnoughAlready22

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »
When I get really mad at my son I call him by my ex's name.