Author Topic: I am sure this has happened to you before...  (Read 9876 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: I am sure this has happened to you before...
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »

Yes, it sure has. Gish (the boyfriend of 10years) has called me by the dog's name, to which i bark in response :) I once called my BFF by my own name. I really ... i just don't even know what i was thinking there. It was years ago and i am still perplexed how that even happened. It's not as if i have any reason to say, "Hey, hobish..."  :-[
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2011, 05:05:12 PM »
I am so stealing that response, hobish!

Allyson

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2011, 10:46:42 PM »
I have a friend who, when telling me about someone, will often interpose my name for the person she's telling me about.

So if she's telling me about her friend Carol who got a new parakeet she'll say, "So Allyson was telling me about her parakeet..." and I'm like, "I'm Allyson!" Hee

NyaChan

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2011, 10:49:46 PM »
My grandma frequently runs through every grandchild's name before she hits on the one she is actually talking to.  She once got frustrated and mumbled that it was a good thing her kids stopped at 4 :D 

exitzero

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 06:15:36 AM »
My grandma frequently runs through every grandchild's name before she hits on the one she is actually talking to.  She once got frustrated and mumbled that it was a good thing her kids stopped at 4 :D

I just thought of my grandmother, who had 19 children. She probably just pointed and said "Hey, you!"

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »

There were seven of us and my mom did the same thing when we were in trouble.  ;D
No matter where you go, there you are...

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »
My ex and I stayed very good friends long after breaking it off as a couple. He then met a lovely woman who he ended up marrying; this woman is friendly with me as well.

So I was present at their wedding reception and standing near the front when he stood up to give a speech before cutting the cake, with his new wife at his side. He went on about how wonderful it was to be surrounded by good friends and family, and added, "We are so sorry that Raintree's dad couldn't be here as he would have been very proud." The bride spoke up, "You mean MY dad!" Of course, the groom was mortified at his blunder but everyone laughed and made a joke of it and it was all good. The bride made some joking comment about, "It's ok, I'll let him have it later." She really was a good sport and I am so glad he found such a good person who was able to laugh it off.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. 

My grandmother once called me, "Her_Daughter's_name, Her_dead_dog's_name, My Mother's Name, My_Name."  It wouldn't have even been memorable except for the dog's name. 

A couple of days ago I called my daughter the name of my last cat.

What does bug me is when my husband calls our daughter "Honey."  That is his nickname for ME. 

MeowMixer

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »
My mom calls me by her sisters' name often. My dad has combined my name with my sisters' for years and I think it's become my nicname. Both my mom and I have called my husband by the dogs' name. I think it's genetic, so any kids we have will probably carry this gene... lol

Minmom3

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »
My MIL used to call the litany of childrens names, pause, and glare at the offender and say belligerently "OOh, whoEVER the hell you are!" as said child was laughing raucously.  Don't think she ever put in a pets name, but she did swap DIL names around freely.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

chellek

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2011, 08:48:40 AM »
My brother called his current wife by his ex-wife's name once.

When he was making a speech at his daughter's wedding, in front of 200 guests.

And his ex was there.

I feel bad but I laughed.  :-[  What happened?!  :o

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. 

My grandmother once called me, "Her_Daughter's_name, Her_dead_dog's_name, My Mother's Name, My_Name."  It wouldn't have even been memorable except for the dog's name. 

A couple of days ago I called my daughter the name of my last cat.

What does bug me is when my husband calls our daughter "Honey."  That is his nickname for ME.

Over the holidays, I spent some time with my much older sister and her family. In many ways, she was like a second mother, as she took care of me after school and during the summers, and often called me "baby." We were sitting around the dinner table and she asked "Baby, could you get me a glass of water?" Her husband, 3 children and myself all responded "Sure!" Then burst out laughing. It turns, she was referring to me as "baby" since I was closest to the water pitcher.

strawbabies

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 12:57:08 PM »
DH calls me Sweetie (he spells it Sweety, ugh).  Since he used to call every female Sweety until I chewed him out for it, I'm sure it's what he called his first wife too.  At least now the pet name is reserved for just me. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
DH calls me Sweetie (he spells it Sweety, ugh).  Since he used to call every female Sweety until I chewed him out for it, I'm sure it's what he called his first wife too.  At least now the pet name is reserved for just me.

DH was the same with "Honey".  At one time he ... really sowed his oats, so I don't doubt it was to not call one girlfriend by another's name.  I am Ok with that, because it is just for me.  I think that is why it bugged me so much when he called our daughter Honey.

exitzero

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »
My brother called his current wife by his ex-wife's name once.

When he was making a speech at his daughter's wedding, in front of 200 guests.

And his ex was there.

I feel bad but I laughed.  :-[  What happened?!  :o

He was mortified. His current wife has a wonderful sense of humor and found it very funny. My sister and I have never let him live it down, of course!