Author Topic: Small bit of a pickle with Fires...  (Read 1671 times)

AngelicGamer

Small bit of a pickle with Fires...
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
So, I've got my mom a Kindle Fire for Christmas.  However, I also asked for one as one of my bigger Christmas wishes.  Usually, when she gets the higher ticket items, she buys one for herself because she can do so under the guise of "Santa". 

So, I'm a bit worried about that happening this year.  I know that my aunt is also a Kindle lover, but I don't know how she feels about the Kindle Fire.  If we end up with three Kindle Fires and one of them remains unwrapped, is it alright to say "Aunt, this is for you.  It was mislabeled"?  Or something of the like?  What would you do, EHell?

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Small bit of a pickle with Fires...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »
I would just give her the gift as planned. She can always return hers if she buys one for herself.

I would also suggest that you and your mom consider adopting a policy DH and I adopted many years ago. The rule is that we do not buy presents for ourselves between Thanksgiving and Christmas. If your mom really wants an item and she doesn't receive it as a gift, she can always get it for herself after Christmas and avoid causing this sort of dilemma to begin with.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

weeblewobble

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »
I don't have a solution for you, but this may be the most interesting thread title I've ever seen.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 12:15:41 AM »
I don't have a solution for you, but this may be the most interesting thread title I've ever seen.
When I read the title I thought. "She must have meant fries, not fires.  A small bit of a pickle with fries."  (sounded good to me.  Still does.)
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:21:17 AM »
So, I've got my mom a Kindle Fire for Christmas.  However, I also asked for one as one of my bigger Christmas wishes.  Usually, when she gets the higher ticket items, she buys one for herself because she can do so under the guise of "Santa". 

So, I'm a bit worried about that happening this year.  I know that my aunt is also a Kindle lover, but I don't know how she feels about the Kindle Fire.  If we end up with three Kindle Fires and one of them remains unwrapped, is it alright to say "Aunt, this is for you.  It was mislabeled"?  Or something of the like?  What would you do, EHell?
I wouldn't for three reasons:  I wouldn't spend that much on an aunt, for one thing (maybe you do).  For another, that would be giving your mother's gift from you away, wouldn't it?  Shouldn't she just be able to exchange the gift if she already has one?  And, it sets a precedent of high spending that your aunt may feel she has to duplicate in the future.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 12:25:58 AM »
Wrap it - but check to see if your mother has one Christmas morning - if she does, label it with your aunt's name instead..............but take something for your aunt in case your mother didn't buy herself a Fire.

I feel your pain - after I bought a Nook Color off eBay, Sony lowered the price on the Sony Reader with wi-fi AND offered $50 trade-in for your older Sony Reader (any make or model)..............since my battery life was getting really short after 23 months..............I now have more than one reader with wi-fi - one color & one "black & white"..............which at least will be easier to read outside.............but which I haven't unsealed & registered yet................I'm dithering a bit on what to do................do I really need more than one?????
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

AngelicGamer

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 03:47:38 AM »
Alrighty - OP here with some answers.  Thank you everyone for replying and I hope I get everyone.

When I read the title I thought. "She must have meant fries, not fires.  A small bit of a pickle with fries."  (sounded good to me.  Still does.)

lol - thank you.  I didn't even think of that.  :)  A small pickle with fries is always good.  In fact, that was part of dinner tonight.  :D

I would just give her the gift as planned. She can always return hers if she buys one for herself.

I would also suggest that you and your mom consider adopting a policy DH and I adopted many years ago. The rule is that we do not buy presents for ourselves between Thanksgiving and Christmas. If your mom really wants an item and she doesn't receive it as a gift, she can always get it for herself after Christmas and avoid causing this sort of dilemma to begin with.

I think we're going to need to adopt this policy.  It is a wonderful idea and we already have one set in place with dealing with books.  We're all big readers, so that's been in place since...well, since I started to read.  We're adding on no buying for ourselves starting next year.  Thank you!

I wouldn't for three reasons:  I wouldn't spend that much on an aunt, for one thing (maybe you do).  For another, that would be giving your mother's gift from you away, wouldn't it?  Shouldn't she just be able to exchange the gift if she already has one?  And, it sets a precedent of high spending that your aunt may feel she has to duplicate in the future.

Bijou, I didn't even think of that.  Thank you for pointing that out because I didn't even think of that.  I am more of a giver than a receiver when it comes to gifts - I want the person to be happy.  I never think about the other person feeling that they have to match the gift in the future.  Mom and I are still thinking about another thing to get Aunt, so this might be all null in the morning with Aunt getting her own as a combination present from all of us.  It would never be from just one person.  We would be pooling the Christmas money limit, which is around 50 per person.

Wrap it - but check to see if your mother has one Christmas morning - if she does, label it with your aunt's name instead..............but take something for your aunt in case your mother didn't buy herself a Fire.

I feel your pain - after I bought a Nook Color off eBay, Sony lowered the price on the Sony Reader with wi-fi AND offered $50 trade-in for your older Sony Reader (any make or model)..............since my battery life was getting really short after 23 months..............I now have more than one reader with wi-fi - one color & one "black & white"..............which at least will be easier to read outside.............but which I haven't unsealed & registered yet................I'm dithering a bit on what to do................do I really need more than one?????

I do already have her present wrapped and ready to go.  I think I'm going to keep a tag in my pocket in case I need to do a switch.  :D

As for if you need two - if you feel like you need two, then you need two.  Or keep it around as a "here, try this out and see if you like eReaders" type thing.  :)

ETA: Already is not alrighty in any sort of logic.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:49:51 AM by AngelicGamer »

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 01:37:55 PM »

I do already have her present wrapped and ready to go.  I think I'm going to keep a tag in my pocket in case I need to do a switch.  :D

As for if you need two - if you feel like you need two, then you need two.  Or keep it around as a "here, try this out and see if you like eReaders" type thing.  :)

ETA: Already is not alrighty in any sort of logic.

Actually, I have three............two are listed on Craigslist - no nibbles.  The Sony is staying sealed in its packing until after Christmas.........because I really have to have ONE reader that can be read in daylight (riding in car, walking to mailbox, sitting in car waiting at school, etc.) and I love the way I can read in bed without an additional light with the Nook Color (with the wi-fi on, I can read Etiquette Hell, email, or turn off the wi-fi to read a "book").  I figured out one thing when I was six - reading is FUN!

I've also bought a replacement computer before I had a seller for my current computer (realized in October that it would be far cheaper & easier to guy a Bluetooth card for my laptop than to buy another laptop...........should have taken that lesson to heart with the ereaders - but.............oh, well...........shoulda, coulda, woulda................).

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?