Author Topic: Small Umbrella in the Rain...  (Read 1295 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Small Umbrella in the Rain...
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:37:32 AM »
This was a few years ago, but it still sticks with me.

I often had to walk home from school by myself, because Cabbage (Sis) had band practice. One day, it was pouring rain, and I hadn't brought my rain jacket. Needless to say, I was running as fast as I could toward home.

As I got up to an intersection, a woman was driving through it. When she saw me, though, she stopped. She rolled down her window and this is what transpired:

Woman: Don't you have an umbrella?
Me: I left it at home. I'm almost home; I'll be fine. This was sorta true. I still had to cross another street and walk a bit, but it wasn't really that far.
Woman: Take my umbrella *holds out her umbrella*
Me: Really, ma'am, I'll be fine. I promise.  :-\
Woman: I'll just feel terrible if I let you go without an umbrella. I don't need this; take it.
Me: Alright. *takes the umbrella* Thank you so much.
Woman: You're welcome. *drives off*

My dad was skeptical that anyone would just give me something to be nice, but I was glad that the woman felt moved to give me her umbrella so I would stay dry. I didn't know this woman, and I wouldn't recognize her on the street. Yet, she gave me one of her possessions simply because I was a child walking home in the rain.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Iris

Re: Small Umbrella in the Rain...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »
How nice :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Nikko-chan

Re: Small Umbrella in the Rain...
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:28:09 AM »
I know it's been five days-ish since you posted this, but that gave me the warm fuzzies.