Author Topic: Making Christmas Ours  (Read 1277 times)

mikeylou

Making Christmas Ours
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:53:21 AM »
Living away from family for a few years left us in the position to enjoy the holiday without all that running around and stuff.

One of the things we noticed is that we were made to feel obligated to visit certain family members, but those people would be available at certain times, so we wound up with a lot more unnecessary driving.    Say Grandpa Sally was available until noon, but Grandma Eggbert only between 10 and 2... on the other side of town.  And then the Big Bash with other family 2 hours away from the Eggberts at 3. 

Well, we've put our foot down.  No more Crazy Driving on Christmas Day.  We were faced with a situation where one family was available until a certain time and with other plans for the day, we wouldn't have time to really enjoy ourselves and relax before having to hustle off somewhere else. 

So we said no, it's not possible.  And you know what... The World didn't End.  [Of course, this wasn't with the family member who is the problem.  We were just well conditioned by one member that we'd rearrange and hustle for everyone else even if they didn't ask for it.]

We may wind up with 12 Days of Christmas, but I'd much rather have 12 Days than 12 hours in one Day in the car.  {exaggeration}

The plans we've made for the alternate day look pretty good.  =) 

Iris

Re: Making Christmas Ours
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
Good news! Enjoy your day :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

wyliefool

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »
Absolutely! Why do their 'other plans for the day' trump whatever plans you might like to have?

Seize the power!!

immadz

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:13:57 PM »
The other thing you could do, which my family has done in the past, it to organize a family lunch at the local buffet place and you can get much of your visiting done in a small time frame.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 07:52:48 PM »
Good for you! My Christmases with the X were like that. We went to his mom's about 45 min East on Christmas Eve, then on Christmas day we started at my family's gathering around 8am about 10min from our home. Then off to his Dad's an hour and a half West at noon. Then, about 2pm, back to his mom's over 2 hours East of his Dad's for dinner. Then everyone would pack up and drive to Grammy's 2 hours West.

X and I fought a lot, and about a lot of different things, but the holidays were the days of the biggest yelling and swearing matches
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz