Author Topic: Awkward present situation- help!  (Read 3809 times)

redcat

Awkward present situation- help!
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:12:20 PM »
My ex broke up with me about 3 months ago.  Its been civil, we were still sharing the house until last week, when he moved out.  He's just been round to pick up some stuff, ans said somethiny about bringing presents round when he comes by again tomorrow.  Only I wasn't expecting anything, and I haven't got him anything.  Should I just say that?  Or should I get him something, even if its only something from the supermarket.  Most of the shops are closed now, and I'll be working tomorrow, and I don't think I can get to the shops before he comes round.  And anyway, I'm not sure I want to get him anything.  Im in quite dire financial straits right now, and I'm still a bit angry with him, honestly.

Yarnie

Re: Awkward present situation- help!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »
You are under no obligation to get him anything.  Exes who break up with people don't get presents. :) If he'd decided to give presents, then its all on him. 

Reason

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 01:37:06 PM »
I agree, you don't need to give him anything. Hopefully when his gift is not reciprocated he will get the message that the relationship is really over.

redcat

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  That was what I was thinking really, but its good to hear it from someone else. 

Thing is, just after we broke up, I was using my smart phone, which I hadn't had long, and he said something about  We'll have to get you a tablet.  So I'm a bit worried he might present me with one, and that's too expensive a present for an ex, you know? 

ETA I ended up making him a tray of gingerbread which he seemed pleased with.  He said he'd bring round the present tomorrow, while I'm out.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:50:08 PM by redcat »

Texas Mom

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 11:31:41 PM »
What did he get you?

Signed,
Mrs. Nosey

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 12:11:06 PM »
What did he get you?

Signed,
Mrs. Nosey

Seconded,

Nosy Jr.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »
Yes!  I want to know too...did he, in fact, have a gift for you? Was it a tablet of some sort?

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 01:50:46 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  That was what I was thinking really, but its good to hear it from someone else. 

Thing is, just after we broke up, I was using my smart phone, which I hadn't had long, and he said something about  We'll have to get you a tablet.  So I'm a bit worried he might present me with one, and that's too expensive a present for an ex, you know? 

ETA I ended up making him a tray of gingerbread which he seemed pleased with.  He said he'd bring round the present tomorrow, while I'm out.

My ex who broke up with me gave me an iPad the following Christmas.  It felt excessive, but we were broken up so there's no way that I was going to feel obligated to reciprocate!  I understand the awkward feeling, though.

redcat

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 02:38:55 PM »
Ha, well, it was all a bit of a fuss about nothing in the end.  He got me a computer game, and, get this... a saucepan!  A milk pan, to be precise.  You see, when he was moving out, I thought he'd take the old one, which was originally his.  So I put a new one on my wishlist, as I thought my parents might get me one to replace it.  But then he said he'd ordered a new pan set and didn't need any of the old ones, like 2 days before Christmas, so now I have two.  He did get my parents a presents each though, which was a bit odd in it's own way.

Minmom3

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 06:37:43 PM »
Maybe it's nice for you to know that he has no hard feelings about the breakup, regardless of cause?  Lack of ill will is always a good thing, in my book, even if it plays out a bit oddly at Christmas time.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....