Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1002582 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
Not to mention there's US cities named after foreign capitals.  Paris, Dublin, and those are the two off the top of my head.

You must be from TX where the old fashioned Dr. Pepper is made in Dublin and Paris, TX has this starring attraction:
http://www.planetware.com/picture/paris-us-tx164.htm

Italy, Texas, is just south of Dallas.

A co-worker of mine and her fiance drove a bit north to get married, so they could tell folks they were married in Paris.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

mlkind1789

« Reply #151 on: December 27, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »
My mother relayed this to me after a conversation she had with my brother and his wife Christmas night.

BG- My oldest DD, she is 17 and a junior in high school, wants to be a pediatrician.  She has wanted to be one since she was 5 years old.  She has a short list of colleges already decided that includes Indiana University at Bloomington, University of Chicago and Tulane University.  Good schools with quality programs.  We aren't talking East Podunk University here.

My brother and his wife are definitely not the sharpest tools in the shed but don't realize that.  They think they are the next Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein.  Just ask, they'll tell you how smart they are.  Heck, they might tell you even if you don't ask.  /end BG

My mother is here visiting for Christmas and gets a call from Brother on her cell phone.  Mom and I are sitting next to each other on the sofa so I can hear her part of the conversation and I hear "She wants to go to Tulane."  A pause as brother or his wife say something and then, "It's in New Orleans, she wants to go there because they have a good medical program.  She wants to be a doctor."  Another pause and then "Well, I don't know about that,"  and they hang up shortly after.

The next day my mother and I are talking and DD's college plans come up and my mother tells me "Your sister in law said to tell DD that community colleges have good medical programs"  with a huge smirk on her face.  My reply was "what?" and she repeats herself.  So again I say "What?"  She repeats herself again and we're both laughing by this time.  I told her "No, I heard what you said, I just don't know where she got her information."  Seriously?  Who puts Tulane and a community college on the same level?

*Don't get me wrong, community colleges are great, I went to one.  However, community college is not where you will get a pre-med degree at all, much less on a par with Tulane.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2011, 10:18:53 AM »
Me: Where is the court building?
SCC: On Ritchie Highway.
Me: Where on Ritchie Highway?  (Ritchie runs for about 20 miles between Baltimore and Annapolis.)
SCC: Near Fountain Blue. 

This was *hilarious* to read, not only because of the conversation itself, but because I grew up right in that area and knew *exactly* what Ritchie Hwy and Fontaine Bleu you were talking about. I even got my wedding dress in the building that houses Fontaine Bleu! It's so strange when you're reading strangers' stories on the Internet and they live down the road.
Elfqueen used to work in that wedding dress shop!   ;D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »
*Don't get me wrong, community colleges are great, I went to one.  However, community college is not where you will get a pre-med degree at all, much less on a par with Tulane.

My community college has a nursing program, but medical school for doctors?  No way.  Maybe SIL got confused since nurses are in the medical profession too.

CuriousParty

« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2011, 10:39:51 AM »
Me: Where is the court building?
SCC: On Ritchie Highway.
Me: Where on Ritchie Highway?  (Ritchie runs for about 20 miles between Baltimore and Annapolis.)
SCC: Near Fountain Blue. 

This was *hilarious* to read, not only because of the conversation itself, but because I grew up right in that area and knew *exactly* what Ritchie Hwy and Fontaine Bleu you were talking about. I even got my wedding dress in the building that houses Fontaine Bleu! It's so strange when you're reading strangers' stories on the Internet and they live down the road.
Elfqueen used to work in that wedding dress shop!   ;D
I got a bridesmaid dress there lo so many years ago!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2011, 10:47:09 AM »
So that class really is taught everywhere here in the 7th grade? I wasn't sure if it was just my school district or if was a state-wide 7th grade thing. I still remember that class and my teacher. She was really nice. :)

Soc Stud Curriculum tends to be
K - 3 Community type stuff
4th State History
5th Overview of US History Crossing of the Land bridge - Yesterday
6th Overview of World History
7th State History
8th US History main focus European Colonization - Civil War
9th US History Civil war - Yesterday
10th/11th World History/Geography
12th US Government/Economy
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #156 on: December 27, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »

My community college has a nursing program, but medical school for doctors?  No way.  Maybe SIL got confused since nurses are in the medical profession too.

There are some that have pre-med.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2011, 11:08:56 AM »
I'm currently working in what was once a big conference room.  As a safety precaution, the light fixtures right in front of the doors have an emergency light that will come on whenever the power is off so that people are still able to find their way out of the room.  There's only a couple of us working in the room, so instead of turning on all the lights, we only turn on about half of them. 

The maintenance man came around and tried to tell us that if we lost power the emergency lights would not come on unless we had the switch turned on.  To test this he turned the light switch on, then turned off the circuit to show that the emergency lights came on. 

After a few minutes of trying to explain that the emergency lights can't be on the same circuit as the normal lights and that the switch has no bearing on it, I finally realized I didn't care enough to make him understand and just told him we'd leave those lights on.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #158 on: December 27, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »

I know a family of 17-year-olds (they are multiples) who did their first couple of years at the local community college and then transfered to a four-year school to finish their undergrad degrees.  (Actually, they transfered into one of the schools the OP's daughter is considering.)  It's a great option for families who want to save money on tuition without compromising their educations. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #159 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:53 AM »
So that class really is taught everywhere here in the 7th grade? I wasn't sure if it was just my school district or if was a state-wide 7th grade thing. I still remember that class and my teacher. She was really nice. :)

Soc Stud Curriculum tends to be
K - 3 Community type stuff
4th State History
5th Overview of US History Crossing of the Land bridge - Yesterday
6th Overview of World History
7th State History
8th US History main focus European Colonization - Civil War
9th US History Civil war - Yesterday
10th/11th World History/Geography
12th US Government/Economy
Yep, I remember "world history". ::)  Apparently there was a shortage of history teachers in Texas in the early 1970's, so my world history teacher was drafted over from the athletic department.  His method of "teaching" was to stand in front of the class and read the history textbook aloud.  :-\  Tests consisted of "fill in the blank" sentences from the book with a key word left out.

And in those days, "world history" meant "European history", with the exception of Ancient Egypt.  After 1066, that narrowed down to English history.  China, India, Japan were all dismissed with handwaving.  "Oh, they borrowed a few ideas from us, but they didn't influence us in any way."   ::)  Silk Road?
"What's that?"  Horsecollar?  "Oh, no, we invented that, and it wasn't important anyway".

And that drags it back to topic; nothing anyone could say or prove with other reference materials would negate the "teacher's" view that the book was the be-all and end-all of historical knowledge. The book said that dinosaurs were the first land animals, so by gawd, they were.  ::)  Concrete?  "Must be a modern invention, because the book didn't say anything about the Romans inventing it." There were numerous other errors and omissions of that sort, but they have receded into the mists of time and been forgotten.
into books first.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2011, 11:41:41 AM »

You're right.  There are so many community colleges in the US that I'm sure there are community colleges with pre-med classes.  Mine didn't, but they have the basic science courses that pre-med students need.  I was just trying to say that even if SIL was confused, it's not too strange to mention community college because they do have medical classes, even if it's not full on medical classes to get a doctor's license. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
or are there a not-really surprisingly large number of people who think they can get away with sending something to Canada armed only with name and province (not even a postal code)?

Well of course!  Letters addressed to "Santa, North Pole" get delivered, and Canada is practically at the North Pole anyway, so . . .

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
or are there a not-really surprisingly large number of people who think they can get away with sending something to Canada armed only with name and province (not even a postal code)?

Well of course!  Letters addressed to "Santa, North Pole" get delivered, and Canada is practically at the North Pole anyway, so . . .

There is a North Pole, Alaska. :)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »

There is a North Pole, Alaska. :)
And Santa lives there.  I've seen his house!
into books first.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »
"Oh! You're from Illinois. Do you know my cousin?"