Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 952371 times)

BusyBee

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2011, 11:22:37 AM »
Me: Hi, I wanted to know whether I can order a cake to be made, and someone would be in the bakery at about 8:00am on Sunday morning just to pick it up.
Bakery Lady: Oh, we won't have anyone to make a cake on Sunday.
Me: No, I want to order it and have it made before Sunday, but just pick it up at 8 on Sunday.
BL: See, we can't make a cake on Sunday.
Me: So I can't order one earlier and just pick it up then?
BL: No, we only make cakes on other days, like Saturday.
Me: So can I order it to be made on Saturday?
BL: Sure, no problem.
Me: And then, would there be someone in the bakery at 8 on Sunday to give it to me?
BL: Sure, we can do that.

Found out later that they start working bakery at 5am on Sunday.

Same thing, but with balloons.  The party store had time-slots for balloon orders and they were all full for Saturday except for very late in the day.  I understand that latex ballons only last a few hours, but mine are all mylar and they'll last for a week.  Can you blow them up on Friday and I'll pick them up the next morning?  No, we can't do that.  I explained to both the cashier and the manager, who finally agreed but weren't really convinced that it was possible.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
Today's Cakewrecks post made me think of this thread :P

MyFamily

« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
So, I had one last night at Wal-mart.  I need to order a welcome poster for a fundraising event I'm co-chairing, and in the past we've done it through Wal-Mart.com.  The size is right, the price is good and they do a good printing job.  But their server is broken and we can't do it on-line, so I went into the store. 

First, the employee tried to tell me they couldn't print something like that, even as I'm pointing to the line on their sign that says that they can do this; then their in-store computer didn't like my cd or my flash drive (both had the images and yes, this involved multiple trips to the store) because "sometimes it just doesn't like certain flash drives or cds or memory cards".  So, then I asked her well, how can you help me?  And she just looked at me.  I finally asked her "so you are advertising a service you can't provide" and she said "yep".

Seriously, at that point I just couldn't say anything else, so I just walked away.  I'm hoping that the item I ordered on-line at target.com will be just as nice.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

prairie_dances

« Reply #198 on: December 28, 2011, 12:14:05 PM »
First, the employee tried to tell me they couldn't print something like that, even as I'm pointing to the line on their sign that says that they can do this; then their in-store computer didn't like my cd or my flash drive (both had the images and yes, this involved multiple trips to the store) because "sometimes it just doesn't like certain flash drives or cds or memory cards".  So, then I asked her well, how can you help me?  And she just looked at me.  I finally asked her "so you are advertising a service you can't provide" and she said "yep".

I had the same problem with Walmart. I went to the store to order one of their photo books. I used the kiosk they have but when I went to counter the cashier looked at me like I had ten heads and said, "Oh, we can't do that here". I asked her why then do they have the sign up saying they provide photo book etc services and why the kiosk let me go through the whole process and she just shrugged and said again that they don't do that there.

I ended up ordering a photo book on Shutterfly.com.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

New York

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »
White Tiger Cub, I had almost that exact conversation with my Grandmother about 20 years ago.  She was a lifetime non-drinker, of the "alcohol is evil" school of thought.  We had invited some friends over for Thanksgiving dinner, including their ~3 year old toddler.  We were serving Martinelli's sparkling apple cider.  My Grandmother was absolutely convinced that not only was I serving wine, I was serving it to a CHILD.  :o :o :o

I'm still not sure I ever convinced her that it was just fancy apple juice.  I showed her the bottle, had her read the label.  Told her that even if I was serving wine, which I wouldn't do in front of her, that she ought to trust me enough to know that I would not give alcohol to a child.

Normally my GM and I had a fantastic relationship and she totally trusted me on everything, but for some reason this one bit of  ??? ??? just stuck in her head....

Did you point out it was *not* Hard Cider? I think of apple cider as just being juice, but I know a lot of people who think apple cider is always *hard* cider, which does contain alcohol.

In British usage, "cider" is always alcoholic.  "Juice" is not.

My Aunt Sophie isn't aware of the British meaning of cider.  It was merely the shape of the bottle she was focused on. I even offered her some to try so she could see it was merely apple juice but she refused. I believe it even says right on the bottle 'non-alcoholic'. She is not aware either of the US laws that state alcoholic beverages must have the % of alcoholic content clearly written on it.

Arizona

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #200 on: December 28, 2011, 01:17:53 PM »
twiggy wrote:

"That reminds me of a very special co-worker I once had. He claimed an IQ of around 700. When it was pointed out to him that IQ measurements don't go that high, he informed us that he scored 100% on his IQ test.  He also claimed to have trained his sister's cat to not shed."

See, if someone said that to me, I'd think he was intentionally pulling my leg.  It's too Monty Python for me to take it seriously.  I can definitely see John Cleese saying this to someone in all seriousness.

Virg

selkiewoman

« Reply #201 on: December 28, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »
My son's history teacher in HS was also recruited from the athletic department.  He believed that Bloody Mary and Mary, Queen of Scots were the same person, and became quite irate when my son pointed out he was wrong.  (Probably should not have brought that up in class, but I don't think addressing it in private would have done any good either.)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #202 on: December 28, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »
My son's history teacher in HS was also recruited from the athletic department.  He believed that Bloody Mary and Mary, Queen of Scots were the same person, and became quite irate when my son pointed out he was wrong.  (Probably should not have brought that up in class, but I don't think addressing it in private would have done any good either.)

They were both Catholic, but that's about it. I'm embarrassed for that teacher if he's truly that clueless.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #203 on: December 28, 2011, 02:16:32 PM »
Today's Cakewrecks post made me think of this thread :P
That was...oh wow... ;D My brain hurts.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #204 on: December 28, 2011, 02:22:05 PM »

They were both Catholic, but that's about it. I'm embarrassed for that teacher if he's truly that clueless.

I've actually seen that several times, all from people who know little of British history in that time beyond Henry VIII and his fondness for dispensing with wives. They *might* know that he had a daughter who was a virgin.

None of these people, however, are trying to teach history, or have any particular need to know much about Tudor-era history.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #205 on: December 28, 2011, 02:39:53 PM »
or are there a not-really surprisingly large number of people who think they can get away with sending something to Canada armed only with name and province (not even a postal code)?

Well of course!  Letters addressed to "Santa, North Pole" get delivered, and Canada is practically at the North Pole anyway, so . . .

There is a North Pole, Alaska. :)
And Santa lives there.  I've seen his house!

On a cold winter night, myself and some of my drunken cohorts plotted out how to free Santa's reindeer. We even had the appropriate tools to do away with the oppressive cages! Thankfully, we forgot to acquire a DD... Later visits would prove that Dancer and Prancer and all them guys are fat and happy where they are  ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #206 on: December 28, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
One from a friend of my brother.

Student goes to a college bar post last final exam to celebrate (is a senior and of legal drinking age). Bouncer will not accept his driver's license as proof of age because is it "obviously" a fake. Student shows that ID name/picture matches his student ID-no dice. Bouncer says that even it that is true, they don't have to accept said license because it is an out of state license and legally the bar only has to accept licenses from *this state* and states that touch *this state*.

This state is Missouri, Student is from Nebraska. Student goes to college library, checks out atlas, returns to bar and asks for a manager.

I had a similar issue when I turned 21.  In NJ, you used tobe able to get a paper license, with no photo.  As i was in college, I would renew my license by mail, and it was good for 2-3 years.  So the year before i turned 21, I renewed, and as soon as I turned 21, and was home for Christmas (my bday is in Dec too) I hightailed it to the DMV to get one WITH a photo, which was so much easier as I went to school out of state, and they always looked at my license with suspician.

It didn't help that I did, and still do, look VERY young for my age.  Also, becasue it wasn't time for me to renew my license, it was stamped with "duplicate" as I was simply replacing an already non-expired license, rather than renewing it.

So I'm home for the summer, and my friend and I are at a bar, and the bartender gave me a really hard time about the fact my license said duplicate, and the fact I looked about 14.  now I could see if I was at school, out of state, where they might not know that NJ also had the paper license option, but this was IN NJ, and she really should have known better.  She finally gave in, but not without a lot of back and forth.

Bookgirl

• Read The Hunger Games. Trust me.
    • Zo- Be Designs
« Reply #207 on: December 28, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »
Most of my conversations with my 4 1/2 yo DS make my brain hurt.   ;)

Kid logic, you've gotta love it.
RIP to my blog

I play with paper, scissors and glue and this is where I Facebook about it:
http://www.facebook.com/ZoBeDesigns

my cards and papergoods: www.ZoBeDesigns.etsy.com

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #208 on: December 28, 2011, 07:02:49 PM »
Most of my conversations with my 4 1/2 yo DS make my brain hurt.   ;)

Kid logic, you've gotta love it.

I was just asking my husband why kids seem to lose all their intelligence when puberty hits.  It's like their brains are overcome by hormones, pushing aside any last bits of common sense....

Tsaiko

« Reply #209 on: December 28, 2011, 08:54:31 PM »
This conversation didn't even happen to me, and it makes my brain hurt. The two participants are friend and friend's co-worker (FCW). An important bit of info. GIS = Geographic Information Systems

FCW: I'm taking classes in GIS. I'll have a certificate soon.
Friend: I have a degree in GIS. What are you learning about?
FCW: Last week we learned that the world has 360 degrees west and 360 degrees east. So it's 720 degrees total all the way around.
Friend: What?
FCW: Isn't that cool?
Friend: If you go 360 degrees east or west you'll wind up back where you started. The world is only 360 degrees round. In fact any circle shape is only 360 degrees around.
FCW: You're wrong. There's 360 degrees west and 360 degrees east.
Friend: Why don't you ask your professor to be sure.
FCW: I will and you'll see I was right.

She wasn't.