News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 17, 2017, 06:25:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 2111866 times)

DottyG

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #225 on: December 29, 2011, 01:26:43 PM »
I wasn't familiar with the word either. So I looked it up.

wilily (adv.)
1.in a malign and evil manner

An example would be in Joshua 9:4

Hillia

« Reply #226 on: December 29, 2011, 01:34:57 PM »
I wasn't familiar with the word either. So I looked it up.

wilily (adv.)
1.in a malign and evil manner

An example would be in Joshua 9:4

That's exactly the verse!  BIL flipped to it because DH's name is Joshua and his birthday is 9/4.

I had never heard specifically 'malign and evil'...more in the 'sneaky, sly, crafty' sense. 

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #227 on: December 29, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »
Hillia, I will have to profess my ignorance as to the meaning of wililly.  I wouldn't assume willy-nilly, though.  :)

Something to do with "wily," perhaps?  At least, that was my guess.  So wily like a fox, not willy-nilly like a headless chicken.  :)

That's it.  The people in question had disguised themselves and were talking to someone else in a wily (ie sly, clever) way.

He had never heard the word, and was astonished at the connection to Wile E. Coyote.

Oh, yeah, good ol' Willy Coyote ... wonder why he didn't just go by Bill...
 :P
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2011, 01:55:56 PM »
It's amazing the vocabulary you can learn by reading the Bible and real literature.  I'm going to have to explain "naissance" and "numeral" to my 4-year-old.  Maybe your BIL needs to do a bit more reading himself.  :)
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Luci

« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2011, 05:43:15 PM »
Both the kids and the "how-can-it-snow-in-summer" guy would be puzzled by snowfall in what is nominally summer in the US...

I used to live in a tiny little mountain town in California, at 7000 feet elevation.  I saw snow as early as the last week of August, and as late as mid-June.

As a frequent visitor to Trail Ridge Road (Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, USA), I've seen.

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
This thread reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend back in high school.

We were talking, and I mentioned that I was excited for something that either my boyfriend or his family or something had mailed to me. My boyfriend and his family are Canadian and live obviously in Canada.

Friend: How do they mail things in Canada? Do they have post offices like we do?
Me:  :o *almost falling of stool* Yes Friend, they have post offices. I believe it's just called Canada Post, just like how we have the United States Postal Service.
Friend: Oh. Right. Yeah they'd have to have post offices.
Me: I'm pretty sure they use UPS and FedEx too, but everything I've ever gotten just comes in a standard Canada Post box.
Friend: *genuine excitement about this and subject change*

It's the first and hopefully last time I'll be asked if another country has post offices. And my friend was completely serious too.

Amava

« Reply #231 on: December 29, 2011, 07:29:23 PM »
This thread reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend back in high school.

We were talking, and I mentioned that I was excited for something that either my boyfriend or his family or something had mailed to me. My boyfriend and his family are Canadian and live obviously in Canada.

Friend: How do they mail things in Canada? Do they have post offices like we do?
Me:  :o *almost falling of stool* Yes Friend, they have post offices. I believe it's just called Canada Post, just like how we have the United States Postal Service.
Me: I'm pretty sure they use UPS and FedEx too, but everything I've ever gotten just comes in a standard Canada Post box.

It's the first and hopefully last time I'll be asked if another country has post offices. And my friend was completely serious too.

Ah, here in Belgium we still send all our mail with pigeons.
Even our email.
 ;D

mechtilde

« Reply #232 on: December 29, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
See, this is why I don't eat the egg shells.  Much simpler than worrying about chicken butt.  ;D

Anyone else keeping thinking of that silly "Guess what?" / "Chicken butt!" bit by now?

Perhaps slightly O/T, but my MIL was convinced that eating even the smallest amount of eggshell would make you ill!

Back on topic- I once had a chat with a girl from Jarrow about history (it just came up in conversation). Now Jarrow has the third oldest church in England, and was the home of the Venerable Bede. She told me- in all seriousness that the local monastry buildings were in ruins because they had been bombed by the Vikings.

8th Century high explosives. Who knew? I'm not sure that she quite believed me when I tried to explain that was a bit unlikely...

NE England

Pinky830

« Reply #233 on: December 29, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
Regarding snow not at Christmas, where I live, what little snow we get is almost always in February and March. We got an inch on Christmas night last year, the first white Christmas in a century. My kids wondered if we'd have another white Christmas, and I told them that unless they move to another part of the country, they'll probably never see another one.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #234 on: December 29, 2011, 08:26:13 PM »
Who did he think the Blair Witch killer is?  The guy who "disappeared" in the middle of the movie to trick the other two so he can kill them?   >:D

My friend did not ask him; They were too blown away that anyone would believe that the FBI had released the "video found at the scene" in national theaters.  They thought it was a marketing gimmick on the level of "based on a true story" was a marketing gimmick for the 'return of the living dead" movies.

magician5

« Reply #235 on: December 29, 2011, 08:37:10 PM »

Your friend was probably basing his/her opinion on those mud huts y'all live in. And, of course, Canadian letter carriers get pretty good at dodging the vicious jungle animals that roam the streets of Montreal.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #236 on: December 29, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
Who did he think the Blair Witch killer is?  The guy who "disappeared" in the middle of the movie to trick the other two so he can kill them?   >:D

My friend did not ask him; They were too blown away that anyone would believe that the FBI had released the "video found at the scene" in national theaters.  They thought it was a marketing gimmick on the level of "based on a true story" was a marketing gimmick for the 'return of the living dead" movies.

I live about 60 miles from Burkittsville MD. When that movie came out and they said that Burkittsville was built on the site that Blair used to be, people kept going to Burkittsville and stealing the signs that had the name of the town on there. People would NOT believe it was fake. I personally got into several discussions with people who swore up and down it was real. Nevermind when I pointed out other movies that the actors had made. It was real and they were driving there to get the real story from those poor poor people who are probably cursing the day the previews started showing in the theaters.

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #237 on: December 29, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
This is only cute because the person I was talking to was 4 at the time, my son A.

A:

I want to go outside (looking out the back door).

Me: 

You can't it's raining out there.

A:

Oh, I guess I'll go out front then.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 24, ds C 17, ds A 14, dh J and myself dw A

Adelaide

« Reply #238 on: December 29, 2011, 10:05:38 PM »
My grandpa is really racist, and Barack Obama is the President. I don't think any other explanation is required.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #239 on: December 29, 2011, 10:21:30 PM »
Just this evening went round and round with DH.  He swore up, down, and sideways that Canada, Australia, and New Zealand were all lumped together as part of the UK.   He just could not wrap his head around the notion of them being independent countries if they still had the Queen as their titular head.  Commonwealth = UK in his mind. Feel free to ::).
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.