News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 12:23:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 2011384 times)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #240 on: December 30, 2011, 12:35:49 AM »
Friend: How do they mail things in Canada? Do they have post offices like we do?
Me:  :o *almost falling of stool* Yes Friend, they have post offices. I believe it's just called Canada Post, just like how we have the United States Postal Service.
Friend: Oh. Right. Yeah they'd have to have post offices.
Me: I'm pretty sure they use UPS and FedEx too, but everything I've ever gotten just comes in a standard Canada Post box.
Friend: *genuine excitement about this and subject change*

It's the first and hopefully last time I'll be asked if another country has post offices. And my friend was completely serious too.

Ah, here in Belgium we still send all our mail with pigeons.
Even our email.
 ;D

Not owls?  8)

Just this evening went round and round with DH.  He swore up, down, and sideways that Canada, Australia, and New Zealand were all lumped together as part of the UK.   He just could not wrap his head around the notion of them being independent countries if they still had the Queen as their titular head.  Commonwealth = UK in his mind. Feel free to ::).

But if that was the case, how could we compete (and in Australia's case win) the Commonwealth Games?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:38:21 AM by oz diva »

Victoria

Talley

« Reply #241 on: December 30, 2011, 12:58:28 AM »
Just this evening went round and round with DH.  He swore up, down, and sideways that Canada, Australia, and New Zealand were all lumped together as part of the UK.   He just could not wrap his head around the notion of them being independent countries if they still had the Queen as their titular head.  Commonwealth = UK in his mind. Feel free to ::).

But if that was the case, how could we compete (and in Australia's case win) the Commonwealth Games?
I didn't think that I had anything to contribute to this thread, but this reminded me of something...

I am a German citizen and used to live in the UK for a little while. Out of interest I once asked if it was possible to join a certain political party in the UK, explaining that I was a foreigner and where I was from (this was by letter to the party HQ, btw). The reply I got was that, yes, indeed as a citizen of a Commonwealth country I could join the party, no problem. So Germany is a member state of the Commonwealth now?  ???

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #242 on: December 30, 2011, 01:10:11 AM »
Oh no, if that's the case we're (insert swear word of choice).

Victoria

Adelaide

« Reply #243 on: December 30, 2011, 01:32:42 AM »

I didn't think that I had anything to contribute to this thread, but this reminded me of something...

I am a German citizen and used to live in the UK for a little while. Out of interest I once asked if it was possible to join a certain political party in the UK, explaining that I was a foreigner and where I was from (this was by letter to the party HQ, btw). The reply I got was that, yes, indeed as a citizen of a Commonwealth country I could join the party, no problem. So Germany is a member state of the Commonwealth now?  ???

The Commonwealth now is just a fraternal organization of completely sovereign states, Commonwealth Realms, that recognize Elizabeth II as their monarch that share similar political and social aims-Australia is a member and recognizes Elizabeth II's authority. The United Kingdom is a sovereign country unto itself in the Commonwealth. But to make things more confusing, the United Kingdom consists is a country consisting of four other countries.

As far as Germany goes...I have no idea. I wasn't aware that it was part of the Commonwealth, and I'm 99.99% sure it's not.

Talley

« Reply #244 on: December 30, 2011, 02:43:41 AM »

The Commonwealth now is just a fraternal organization of completely sovereign states, Commonwealth Realms, that recognize Elizabeth II as their monarch that share similar political and social aims-Australia is a member and recognizes Elizabeth II's authority. The United Kingdom is a sovereign country unto itself in the Commonwealth. But to make things more confusing, the United Kingdom consists is a country consisting of four other countries.

As far as Germany goes...I have no idea. I wasn't aware that it was part of the Commonwealth, and I'm 99.99% sure it's not.
It's definitely not in the Commonwealth! LOL! My best guess at the time was that what they wanted to tell me that as a citizen of an EU country I could join their party, but somehow they slipped up when writing the letter...  :P At least I hope that this is what happened...  >:D

Redsoil

« Reply #245 on: December 30, 2011, 07:48:33 AM »
I tend to look on the Queen as a sort of  step-mother figure to Aus.  The UK would probably represent that slightly dysfunctional, somewhat eccentric older portion of the family made up of second-cousins, thrice removed etc.  The ones that daintily remove their undergarments at the table to use as serviettes or somesuch.

Cricket season?  Really?  Hadn't even thought about it!  *Whistles innocently*

Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #246 on: December 30, 2011, 08:59:41 AM »
This thread reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend back in high school.

We were talking, and I mentioned that I was excited for something that either my boyfriend or his family or something had mailed to me. My boyfriend and his family are Canadian and live obviously in Canada.

Friend: How do they mail things in Canada? Do they have post offices like we do?
Me:  :o *almost falling of stool* Yes Friend, they have post offices. I believe it's just called Canada Post, just like how we have the United States Postal Service.
Me: I'm pretty sure they use UPS and FedEx too, but everything I've ever gotten just comes in a standard Canada Post box.

It's the first and hopefully last time I'll be asked if another country has post offices. And my friend was completely serious too.

Your friend was probably basing his/her opinion on those mud huts igloosy'all live in.

Fixed that for you.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #247 on: December 30, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »
This thread reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend back in high school.

We were talking, and I mentioned that I was excited for something that either my boyfriend or his family or something had mailed to me. My boyfriend and his family are Canadian and live obviously in Canada.

Even our email.
 ;D

How do you mail a pigeon, should you need to?
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #248 on: December 30, 2011, 09:20:21 AM »
Even our email.
 ;D

You must live in one of the big towns. When I lived in Belgium pigeons would not service any town under 400 people!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #249 on: December 30, 2011, 09:57:24 AM »
Who did he think the Blair Witch killer is?  The guy who "disappeared" in the middle of the movie to trick the other two so he can kill them?   >:D

My friend did not ask him; They were too blown away that anyone would believe that the FBI had released the "video found at the scene" in national theaters.  They thought it was a marketing gimmick on the level of "based on a true story" was a marketing gimmick for the 'return of the living dead" movies.

I live about 60 miles from Burkittsville MD. When that movie came out and they said that Burkittsville was built on the site that Blair used to be, people kept going to Burkittsville and stealing the signs that had the name of the town on there. People would NOT believe it was fake. I personally got into several discussions with people who swore up and down it was real. Nevermind when I pointed out other movies that the actors had made. It was real and they were driving there to get the real story from those poor poor people who are probably cursing the day the previews started showing in the theaters.

Wow.  I know that the rangers and other people around Forks, WA have been asked "How are you handling the vampire problem?", so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Daffodil

« Reply #250 on: December 30, 2011, 09:58:09 AM »

Even our email.
 ;D

How do you mail a pigeon, should you need to?

This And

Even our email.
 ;D

You must live in one of the big towns. When I lived in Belgium pigeons would not service any town under 400 people!

This, Is why I love coming to ehell  :P Thanks for the laugh, this morning !

mlkind1789

« Reply #251 on: December 30, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »
*Don't get me wrong, community colleges are great, I went to one.  However, community college is not where you will get a pre-med degree at all, much less on a par with Tulane.

My community college has a nursing program, but medical school for doctors?  No way.  Maybe SIL got confused since nurses are in the medical profession too.

There are some that have pre-med.

You're right.  There are so many community colleges in the US that I'm sure there are community colleges with pre-med classes.  Mine didn't, but they have the basic science courses that pre-med students need.  I was just trying to say that even if SIL was confused, it's not too strange to mention community college because they do have medical classes, even if it's not full on medical classes to get a doctor's license.

The difference is that my SIL was putting a community college on a par with Tulane and they just will not be. 

I haven't heard of any community colleges that offer a 4 year pre med degree.  I know you can do basics there, but not all 4 years.  DD has already started getting college credit in her science requirements and will be picking up more science, plus math and English next school year. 

Petticoats

« Reply #252 on: December 30, 2011, 12:37:35 PM »
Wow.  I know that the rangers and other people around Forks, WA have been asked "How are you handling the vampire problem?", so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Please tell me you're joking. Please. I can't bear to think that anyone's that stupid . . .

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #253 on: December 30, 2011, 12:53:48 PM »

Please tell me you're joking. Please. I can't bear to think that anyone's that stupid . . .

Me too.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #254 on: December 30, 2011, 01:15:43 PM »
Something tells me that they are not kidding! You would be amazed at what people think.

When the move Rose Red came out, we had people asking how to get to the house.  I  just about died when I saw the film. If it was true, Seattle would be in major trouble. The area where the house is supposed to be is an area commonly called "Pill Hill" Most of the hospitals and our major trauma center are right there!

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.