News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 05:52:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 2108121 times)

Daffodil

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #270 on: December 31, 2011, 09:53:29 AM »
I called my bank, yesterday, to make an appointment to change my current credit card (which is called a learn card, because it's low limit, and was my first one) to a normal credit card, so the limit can be increased. The woman on the phone asks me if I'm in school, and I tell her that I am not. I didn't understand the question anyway, since I didn't have to be a student in the first place, to get the card.

Anyway, I tell her that I'm not, and she tells me "Ok, when you go to your appointment, you have to bring proof that you're not in college"  ??? I was confused, and she didn't tell me exactly how I'm supposed to prove I'm not in college.

I would be able to prove that I'm *in* it , but does one know how to prove that I'm not in it ?

My brain was hurting quite a bit after getting off of the phone with her ..

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #271 on: December 31, 2011, 10:17:21 AM »
I think she may have meant that you show proof you graduated college, thinking that you are a graduate. Otherwise, I agree that that makes no sense.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Daffodil

« Reply #272 on: December 31, 2011, 10:35:40 AM »
I think she may have meant that you show proof you graduated college, thinking that you are a graduate. Otherwise, I agree that that makes no sense.

I figured if she meant that, she would have said proof of graduation / certificate or diploma. She just simply said "proof that you aren't in college"  :-\ I guess I'll see at my appt. next week !

DottyG

« Reply #273 on: December 31, 2011, 10:41:33 AM »
Will you update us on what they say next week? I'm curious now!

violinp

« Reply #274 on: December 31, 2011, 10:43:26 AM »

Me too!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

pwv

« Reply #275 on: December 31, 2011, 10:46:38 AM »
My father was military and we were sent to Hawaii in the late 50s.  When we returned to the mainland, people wanted to know if we lived in a grass shack and if there were wild pigs running loose.  Also, mom and I had brought back several muumuu's (ankle-length "dresses").  We visited our grandparents while traveling to his next assignment on the east coast.  When they visited at Christmas, grandma mentioned that several of herneighbors had complained to her about mom and I going outside in our "nightgowns."

TomOBedlam

« Reply #276 on: December 31, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »
How do you mail a pigeon, should you need to?

Bigger pigeons.

::rimshot::

I'm in training right now, and my instructor this week told a story about a previous student (an adult, mind you) with whom he had the following conversation:

Student: Copperheads smell like cucumbers.
Instructor: What do cucumbers smell like?
Student: Cucumbers have absolutely no smell.
Instructor: So copperheads have no smell.
Student: No, they smell like cucumbers.
Instructor: But you just said that cucumbers have no smell.
Student: Right.

Apparently, this conversation went around in circles for about five minutes until the instructor gave up.  He says the student was entirely serious and could not understand why the instructor couldn't understand what he was saying.  Nobody else in the class had any idea what he was getting at, either.

And from what I understand about snakes, anyone who thinks any snake smells like cucumbers should really clean out the vegetable compartment in their refrigerator more often.

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #277 on: December 31, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »
How do you mail a pigeon, should you need to?

Bigger pigeons.

::rimshot::

I'm in training right now, and my instructor this week told a story about a previous student (an adult, mind you) with whom he had the following conversation:

Apparently, this conversation went around in circles for about five minutes until the instructor gave up.  He says the student was entirely serious and could not understand why the instructor couldn't understand what he was saying.  Nobody else in the class had any idea what he was getting at, either.

And from what I understand about snakes, anyone who thinks any snake smells like cucumbers should really clean out the vegetable compartment in their refrigerator more often.

Actually, I was taught that rattle snakes had a musty smell. Also, I do think cucumbers have a real smell.

MayHug

« Reply #278 on: December 31, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
I do quality control for a small company. I was making a few changes on an account on Tuesday (the only day I am in the office to do the changes) .
On Friday afternoon a co-worker asked me about the changes and why something particular wasn't done. I replied that it wasn't in the paperwork I was given. She replied in a very snotty manor that it was on the fax!
I said I wasn't given a fax just an internal paper asking for the changes.
She then says " the fax came in on Thursday" I replied oh, sorry I did  the work on Tuesday" she then begins to berate me for not doing the particular change Tuesday that came over by fax on Thursday!!
I asked her how I could have done it when it came in two days later? she stood there sputtering for words.

Then says she is going to our boss, because this has happened before and she feels I'm not doing my job. (She is not my supervisor and does a completely different job than I do)

I bang my head on my desk consistently with this co-worker over these kind of exchanges!

kitty-cat

« Reply #279 on: December 31, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
I have been asked several times if Apollo 18 was real.

When DH and I went to see Apollo 13 with a friend and his quite a bit younger girlfriend, we exited the theatre talking about our memories of the Apollo program, the first moon landing and the mess with 13.  She was looking back and forth between the three of us as if she was watching a ping pong game.  Out of her mouth came the words: "You mean that really happened???"

She had NEVER heard about the Apollo program or the moon landing!!! Yes, we are in the U.S.  Don't they teach about that in school?????

Relatively recent graduate of the US public school system. Let's see, I learned world history up to the renaissance, US history from colonial to Vietnam. (That one irked me. "Vietnam has never been on the AP test". Guess what the essay question was that year?), and then European history from the Italian Renaissance up to WWII for once. Honestly, I only knew about WWII before then because I read ahead in my book.

NE Florida

Daffodil

« Reply #280 on: December 31, 2011, 12:52:05 PM »

Me too!

For sure ! I wouldn't leave you all hanging like that  :P

Luci

« Reply #281 on: December 31, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »

Actually, I was taught that rattle snakes had a musty smell. Also, I do think cucumbers have a real smell.

Just ask Bath and Body Works. And I've made enough salads that I know that cucumbers DO have a smell! I think my grandson just posted of FaceBook that his python smells like vanilla. (I don't know what kind of cage-filler they are using. I know what he eats, so it's not that!)

violinp

« Reply #282 on: December 31, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »
I'm US, and I learned from colonial times to the present day (though the nearer it was, the skimpier it got, because the teachers didn't want to talk politics). I took AP European history and learned from early medieval times to the middle of Soviet Russia. I don't think that my education is standard by any means, though.

gramma dishes

« Reply #283 on: December 31, 2011, 01:01:22 PM »
I do not know whether this was actually true or not, but a person I knew who was a high school teacher in the late 1940s and 50s told me that their high school curriculum included very little about World War II because there was concern that foreigners living here (U.S.) from some of the other countries involved in that war would be harassed and treated badly.  Apparently there was much animosity running around loose for awhile after that war.   

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #284 on: December 31, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »
I have been asked several times if Apollo 18 was real.

When DH and I went to see Apollo 13 with a friend and his quite a bit younger girlfriend, we exited the theatre talking about our memories of the Apollo program, the first moon landing and the mess with 13.  She was looking back and forth between the three of us as if she was watching a ping pong game.  Out of her mouth came the words: "You mean that really happened???"

She had NEVER heard about the Apollo program or the moon landing!!! Yes, we are in the U.S.  Don't they teach about that in school?????

Relatively recent graduate of the US public school system. Let's see, I learned world history up to the renaissance, US history from colonial to Vietnam. (That one irked me. "Vietnam has never been on the AP test". Guess what the essay question was that year?), and then European history from the Italian Renaissance up to WWII for once. Honestly, I only knew about WWII before then because I read ahead in my book.

Yeah, I had to take the AP US test that year. The Vietnam one wasn't so bad, but I'm pretty good about pulling those essays out of nowhere. Still annoying, though.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.