Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1012893 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #4890 on: September 18, 2012, 08:44:14 PM »
I have a really brain hurty one.

So there is a girl that is in ASL club, who told me that we need to have reeelections. Even though everyone has actually only held positions for 6 weeks if that. She also in that conversation told me she wanted to be President. Not brain hurty, right? Except in a previous conversation where she told me she no longer had time for the club... so... is she going to be an absentee president?

Well, that's been known to happen.  ::) 'I don't really want to serve the club, I just want something to put on my resume'.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4891 on: September 18, 2012, 08:50:38 PM »
I have a really brain hurty one.

So there is a girl that is in ASL club, who told me that we need to have reeelections. Even though everyone has actually only held positions for 6 weeks if that. She also in that conversation told me she wanted to be President. Not brain hurty, right? Except in a previous conversation where she told me she no longer had time for the club... so... is she going to be an absentee president?

Well, that's been known to happen.  ::) 'I don't really want to serve the club, I just want something to put on my resume'.

best part? she doesn't know what being a president entails. I told her about replying to emails from a bunch of people wanting to be in the club. her reply? "I don't see what that has to do with being President of the ASL Club though."

"As President you have to do those things."

"But that has nothing to do with being president!"

O.o

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4892 on: September 18, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Okay, if you are at a church where people share things they want people to pray for, it probably should occur to you that a modicum of tact should be respected. For instance, if your relative is pregnant, it's not necessary to go into whether this pregnancy was planned, what complications there have been all through the pregnancy, and so on. Yes, church is a safe place, but sharing time is not a time to vent and make people a little uncomfortable with the TMI - ness of what you're saying.

I can't imagine this woman's relative would be best pleased knowing that her very private business is being told to people she's never met.  :o
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

snowfire

« Reply #4893 on: September 18, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »
Nikko-chans idiot sounds like a yahoo that was in a club DH & I belong to.  He badgered DH into running for vice president.  He was running for president & he assured DH that he was here for the long haul, no problems, vp wasn't a hard job, yada yada..... Less than 6 weeks later he was moving to take a new job out of state & DH gets the fun of moving up to President.

(This was the same donkey who called me 3-4 times a day to get me to run as Sec./Treas. for the same club, while I was running a 102-103 degree fever with the flu.  I finally agreed to run just to get him to shut the heck up and quit calling me.  I now have much more spine than that.  Now I would tell him not only no, but not even if hell was frozen over and they were holding the winter Olympics there, and if he didn't quit calling I would drag my contagiously germy butt over to his house and cough all over him.  >:D)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4894 on: September 18, 2012, 09:23:05 PM »
Nikko-chans idiot sounds like a yahoo that was in a club DH & I belong to.  He badgered DH into running for vice president.  He was running for president & he assured DH that he was here for the long haul, no problems, vp wasn't a hard job, yada yada..... Less than 6 weeks later he was moving to take a new job out of state & DH gets the fun of moving up to President.

(This was the same donkey who called me 3-4 times a day to get me to run as Sec./Treas. for the same club, while I was running a 102-103 degree fever with the flu.  I finally agreed to run just to get him to shut the heck up and quit calling me.  I now have much more spine than that.  Now I would tell him not only no, but not even if hell was frozen over and they were holding the winter Olympics there, and if he didn't quit calling I would drag my contagiously germy butt over to his house and cough all over him.  >:D)

That sucks snowfire!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4895 on: September 18, 2012, 10:23:21 PM »
We had that club problem in high school, where a certain group of kids (top of the class) took on the titled positions for all of the major school clubs, and then never came to meetings or did any of the work, leaving everybody else to fill in and take charge of the club without actually getting any credit for it.  One of them is now a popular radio personality in my area, and all of my friends used to joke about calling him on the show and taking him to task for not dealing with arranging a high school reunion (something he was supposed to be on the committee for) and suchforth.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4896 on: September 19, 2012, 06:56:19 AM »
Okay, if you are at a church where people share things they want people to pray for, it probably should occur to you that a modicum of tact should be respected. For instance, if your relative is pregnant, it's not necessary to go into whether this pregnancy was planned, what complications there have been all through the pregnancy, and so on. Yes, church is a safe place, but sharing time is not a time to vent and make people a little uncomfortable with the TMI - ness of what you're saying.

I can't imagine this woman's relative would be best pleased knowing that her very private business is being told to people she's never met.  :o

Me neither.  I've been to a church like that and I swear half the people who stood up were doing it for attention or trying to compete for how pitiful they could make their story.  Not everyone did that but some folks just were like that Journey song (It goes on and on and on...)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4897 on: September 19, 2012, 07:48:17 AM »
We had that club problem in high school, where a certain group of kids (top of the class) took on the titled positions for all of the major school clubs, and then never came to meetings or did any of the work, leaving everybody else to fill in and take charge of the club without actually getting any credit for it.  One of them is now a popular radio personality in my area, and all of my friends used to joke about calling him on the show and taking him to task for not dealing with arranging a high school reunion (something he was supposed to be on the committee for) and suchforth.

Our faculty advisors had the power to do something about that. I do remember hearing of a couple  people having 'conferences' and getting back to their duties. One was not reelected the following year. Schoolground (or I guess you would say campus) gossip at its best.

magicdomino

« Reply #4898 on: September 19, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »

best part? she doesn't know what being a president entails. I told her about replying to emails from a bunch of people wanting to be in the club. her reply? "I don't see what that has to do with being President of the ASL Club though."

O.o

So, what does she think being president entails?  She'd be president, not queen, so she can't just order people around.  I doubt an ASL club would have it's own version of Air Force One and the White House, so no free transportation or housing.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4899 on: September 19, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »

O.o

So, what does she think being president entails?  She'd be president, not queen, so she can't just order people around.  I doubt an ASL club would have it's own version of Air Force One and the White House, so no free transportation or housing.

It looks great on your resume.  Bonus points if the club gets a lot of press during your tenure

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #4900 on: September 19, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »

I am going to write down the bolded.  I can never think of these things when I need them.  The best I ever did was the time my dad called and was crying on my shoulder about my sister, and I told him, "Dad, I need to hang up because I'm going to throw up."  He kept right on complaining, so I hung up in his ear because what I'd told him was true.  He had the nerve to be upset with me for that.

BB-VA

« Reply #4901 on: September 19, 2012, 01:36:50 PM »

O.o

It looks great on your resume.  Bonus points if the club gets a lot of press during your tenure

That might depend on what KIND of press the club gets.  >:D
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4902 on: September 19, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »

O.o

That might depend on what KIND of press the club gets.  >:D
he he he >:D

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4903 on: September 19, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »

I am going to write down the bolded.  I can never think of these things when I need them.  The best I ever did was the time my dad called and was crying on my shoulder about my sister, and I told him, "Dad, I need to hang up because I'm going to throw up."  He kept right on complaining, so I hung up in his ear because what I'd told him was true.  He had the nerve to be upset with me for that.
Would it have been rude to NOT hang up, but just drop the phone so that Dad can hear the resultant explosion?  >:D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4904 on: September 20, 2012, 09:50:44 AM »
This is one that I have to face over and over, despite the fact that it appears perfectly obvious to me.

I do training. Now, for a training class, certain things MUST be covered. And in our situation, they are covered in a group setting, not one-on-one.

So, why do people assume that the length of the training is dependent, not on the materials that I'm covering, but the number of people in the group? Telling me, "Oh, you can cut the training time in half, I'm sure. We don't have many people in the class," makes me cry inside. I suppose that I could save a little time in group introductions, and maybe not have as many questions to field. But let's assume my training presentation was the equivalent of reciting the Gettysburg address. The length of time it takes to say it is not dependent on the number of people listening, is it?

I swear people believe that the training is done by approaching the person in the first seat, telling them everything they need to know, and then moving to the next person and repeating myself, until I've spoken to everyone in the room. That's the only way it makes sense that a group of five people would take half the time as a group of 10.

(Oh, and don't get me started on the "We don't need your 8 hour session on how to do this complex but vital process. Just give us an hour or so, because we only do that process twice a year," people. Would you want your doctor only to spend a few minutes in medical school learning about a complicated and life-threatening operation "because I don't do it very often"?)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."