News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 23, 2017, 06:54:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1910412 times)

Luci

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5175 on: October 17, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
I went to the grocery store today.  The woman in front of me didn't have a lot of stuff, so I thought I'd get through pretty quickly.  Ha ha.  The cashier told the woman, "Okay, that will be $38.81!" 
Customer: "$38.31?" 
Cashier: "No, $38.81." 
Cashier: "$38.81.  3-8-8-1."
Customer: "Oh.  So $38.31, then?"
Cashier: "Here, let me show you."  <turns the screen to show the total to the customer.
Customer: "Oh.  So it's basically $38!"
Cashier: "Yes.  And 81 cents."
Customer: "31 cents?"
Cashier: "No, 81 cents."
Customer, slowly shaking her head, hands the cashier two 20s.  She's still looking bewildered and putting her things away *very* slowly (taking the conveyor belt to fiddle with her wallet on, preventing me from being able to load all my groceries because it won't roll down until she takes her wallet off it), so the cashier takes her last bag and puts it in her cart for her.  That's when the cashier notices that she has a reusable freezer bag in her cart with a carton of ice cream in it.
Cashier: "Did you know that you have ice cream in your freezer bag?"
Customer: "Oh, yes, that's mine."
Cashier: "You know you have to pay for it."
Customer: "Oh, yes, of course."
Cashier takes ice cream out of freezer bag, rings it up, then tells her, "That will be $3.29."
Customer: "For what?"
Cashier: "The ice cream."
Customer: "Oh.  $3....29.  Will this do?"  <hands her a $5 bill>
Cashier: "Thank you."
Finally, the saga ended and she went on her way.  The cashier and I shared a smile as she started ringing my things up.  Oy vey!

That is incredibly sad, and scary. That poor woman.

gramma dishes

« Reply #5176 on: October 17, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »
I went to the grocery store today.  The woman in front of me didn't have a lot of stuff, so I thought I'd get through pretty quickly.  Ha ha.  The cashier told the woman, "Okay, that will be $38.81!" 
Cashier: "Here, let me show you."  <turns the screen to show the total to the customer.
Customer, slowly shaking her head, hands the cashier two 20s.  She's still looking bewildered and putting her things away *very* slowly (taking the conveyor belt to fiddle with her wallet on, preventing me from being able to load all my groceries because it won't roll down until she takes her wallet off it), so the cashier takes her last bag and puts it in her cart for her.  That's when the cashier notices that she has a reusable freezer bag in her cart with a carton of ice cream in it.
Cashier takes ice cream out of freezer bag, rings it up, then tells her, "That will be $3.29."
Finally, the saga ended and she went on her way.  The cashier and I shared a smile as she started ringing my things up.  Oy vey!

I agree.  Some things are funny.  This isn't.  This is just sad.  :(

Adelaide

« Reply #5177 on: October 17, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »

I agree.  Some things are funny.  This isn't.  This is just sad.  :(

Maybe, maybe not. This is the way my grandma is, only because she's too stubborn to get a hearing aid.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5178 on: October 17, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »
It was rather strange, really.  She didn't strike me as having hearing difficulties, although that could have been the problem.  She didn't speak louder or anything.  And it was that one digit she was really stuck on.  I was unclear if she just wasn't paying attention, if she got a certain thing in her head and was having trouble getting it that she was wrong, or what.  She seemed a bit distracted in that she was digging through her wallet during much of the exchange.  She did seem surprised to see that it was around $38, though, even after she'd seen it on the screen.  She didn't seem to have mental problems, though.  No idea what it was all about.  I was trying very hard not to get frustrated, but I was just finishing my first shopping trip with my 5-day-old newborn, my stomach muscles were absolutely aching (don't lift anything heavier than the baby, ha, given that my husband was on a business trip and the rest of us need to eat), and I'd really thought this would be a short line.  The smile with the cashier was more of shared understanding than making fun of the woman, just so you know.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14

Iris

« Reply #5179 on: October 18, 2012, 12:34:12 AM »
There's an urban myth that people in Queensland refuse to get daylight saving, because it fades the curtains. (more sun, see).

I knew someone who thought this (in NSW though). They were right, in a way. Her set routine was that you eat dinner at X o'clock, and then after dinner you close the curtains and watch telly. Hence the curtains WERE being exposed to an extra hour of sunlight than usual. Of course, that explanation has its own level of brain hurtiness.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

snowfire

« Reply #5180 on: October 18, 2012, 01:09:07 AM »
The lady in this call in radio show who actually thinks that deer only cross the road at "deer crossing" signs, therefore the signs should be moved to low traffic areas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8UPHMzZm8

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #5181 on: October 18, 2012, 03:26:45 AM »
The lady in this call in radio show who actually thinks that deer only cross the road at "deer crossing" signs, therefore the signs should be moved to low traffic areas.

I saw that! lol.

I was talking today to a woman about ds who has a name not so much common anymore, more used as a last name these days.
Woman: I like that name, it's a classic.
Me: Yeah it's old.
Woman: No, not old but a classic.
Me: Um yeah but it literally means old in it's own language and it's been around for a long, long time, which makes it old *doh*
Stewart/Colbert '16

cabbageweevil

« Reply #5182 on: October 18, 2012, 06:06:14 AM »
And arguments against changing the currency from pounds, shillings and pence included (supposedly) that doing so would confuse the old people so that the change should be delayed until all the old people had died.
That's lovely -- wonderfully flawed "logic". Feel it perhaps slightly akin to a proposal I recently read about, raised by a government member in one of the states of Australia.  This person suggested that to combat the tobacco menace, the sale of tobacco should be forbidden, for ever after, to anyone born in or after a certain year; but allowed, for anyone born before that date. So basically, if this were implemented: no tobacco sales ever, to anyone who was aged under 12, or 14, or whatever, at the time that the decree became law. The present generation of "addicts" would thus not be made to suffer, via universal "prohibition"; but after they, in the natural course of things, were gone -- no more tobacco problem.  I get a sort of feeling that this "does not work" in practical terms, though can't put my finger on why it wouldn't; that aside, the idea strikes me as fundamentally unfair / creepy -- whatever one's views on smoking.

Further on the pounds-shillings-and-pence thing: a dear late uncle of mine, who was very conservative-with-a-small-c, had strong views on that -- he deplored the introduction of decimal currency in Britain.  He propounded a theory that it is better to base currency,  measurements, or such things, on "twelve whatever, makes...", than "ten, ditto..." -- because twelve is divisible by more numbers, than ten is: thus, calculation is easier.  The comical thing about that was, my uncle was all but totally innumerate -- had trouble adding 2 and 2 and making 4.  Monetary calculation had been utter misery for him, in the "old money" era too; and would have been in any system, whether based on 10, 12, or the square root of two-hundred-and-forty-seven-and-three-quarters.

Adelaide

« Reply #5183 on: October 18, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
It was rather strange, really.  She didn't strike me as having hearing difficulties, although that could have been the problem.  She didn't speak louder or anything.  And it was that one digit she was really stuck on.  I was unclear if she just wasn't paying attention, if she got a certain thing in her head and was having trouble getting it that she was wrong, or what.  She seemed a bit distracted in that she was digging through her wallet during much of the exchange.  She did seem surprised to see that it was around $38, though, even after she'd seen it on the screen.  She didn't seem to have mental problems, though.  No idea what it was all about.  I was trying very hard not to get frustrated, but I was just finishing my first shopping trip with my 5-day-old newborn, my stomach muscles were absolutely aching (don't lift anything heavier than the baby, ha, given that my husband was on a business trip and the rest of us need to eat), and I'd really thought this would be a short line.  The smile with the cashier was more of shared understanding than making fun of the woman, just so you know.

When you wrote that I immediately thought of my grandmother-my grandfather is the stereotypical loud elderly person who will go "WHAT? WHAT DID YOU SAY? WHAAAT?" if he can't hear you so it's pretty obvious that he needs a hearing aid. (He has one but won't wear it.) My grandmother won't get one period, but she doesn't raise her voice. She thinks she can get by on reading lips or going off of the "script" that's the typical exchange during business transactions. At times when people like waiters or cashiers deviate from the script or have to tell her something really specific, it may seem as though she has slight mental problems or something else is going on besides hearing impairment. 

Luci

« Reply #5184 on: October 18, 2012, 10:01:35 AM »

Further on the pounds-shillings-and-pence thing: a dear late uncle of mine, who was very conservative-with-a-small-c, had strong views on that -- he deplored the introduction of decimal currency in Britain.  He propounded a theory that it is better to base currency,  measurements, or such things, on "twelve whatever, makes...", than "ten, ditto..." -- because twelve is divisible by more numbers, than ten is: thus, calculation is easier.  The comical thing about that was, my uncle was all but totally innumerate -- had trouble adding 2 and 2 and making 4.  Monetary calculation had been utter misery for him, in the "old money" era too; and would have been in any system, whether based on 10, 12, or the square root of two-hundred-and-forty-seven-and-three-quarters.

Years ago the US tried to go to the metric system for measurements. The old people at the time said it was stupid and just wouldn't even try to wrap their heads around it.

Our family has a strong science background, so it made total sense to us. Our daughter actually had a pretty good introduction to it in the classroom in the '70's.

So here we are, now old, and still stuck with the imperial measurements with just enough metric to make things inconsistent.

G-r-r-r-r-r!

BarensMom

« Reply #5185 on: October 18, 2012, 10:18:04 AM »

How would one even start to explain the signs to a deer?

Wonder what she would have thought of the "Newt Crossing" signs that used to dot a certain country road near the Briones Dam.

Snooks

« Reply #5186 on: October 18, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »

Do you think the girl deer would get confused as to whether or not they can use the crossing because the deer on the sign have antlers?

Jones

« Reply #5187 on: October 18, 2012, 10:44:39 AM »

Do you think the girl deer would get confused as to whether or not they can use the crossing because the deer on the sign have antlers?
And what about the poor young spikes wondering if they are old enough to cross on their own?
“A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems.” CS Lewis

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #5188 on: October 18, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »
Many years ago, before voice mail existed, we had a receptionist whose job was to answer phones and take written messages if the person being called was not available. The receptionist developed a minor hearing problem, and we got some fairly bizarre messages until she got it taken care of.

A couple that I remember: I got a message to call the FBI. It turned out to be someone whose first name was Effie. A coworker was told that his rich uncle had called. The coworker was certainly amused--he didn't even know he had an uncle, much less a wealthy one. Unfortunately, the coworker also recognized the number. It was a friend with a name like Rick Honkel.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

cabbageweevil

« Reply #5189 on: October 18, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »

Years ago the US tried to go to the metric system for measurements. The old people at the time said it was stupid and just wouldn't even try to wrap their heads around it.

Our family has a strong science background, so it made total sense to us. Our daughter actually had a pretty good introduction to it in the classroom in the '70's.

So here we are, now old, and still stuck with the imperial measurements with just enough metric to make things inconsistent.

G-r-r-r-r-r!

It’s rather the same nowadays in the UK – a bit of an unhappy mixture of the two.

My already-mentioned uncle, God rest him, was (of course) a diehard loather of the metric system. Largely because of its being a French invention, from Revolutionary / Napoleonic times – he made a big deal of the theoretical calculation of the distance round the globe at the Equator, made as basis of metric system, having been inaccurate. Even if it had been totally spot-on, I’m sure he’d have found some other reason to hate and reject “metric”.

(Mental image of Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe and his riflemen, in the Peninsular War, advancing with fury on the French troops, yelling, “These so-and-so’s want to forcibly replace our measures with their metres and kilograms and such rubbish – give ‘em what they deserve !”)

I’m pretty much like my uncle – borderline-innumerate – but, I feel, calmer about the issues surrounding it. I can sort-of handle metric linear measurements, and weights, about as well (or not) as Imperial equivalents. Litres and stuff, I’m lost. I take the position, “it’s mostly next door to black magic and Harry Potter to me, anyway. I muddle through how I can, asking help from the more-clued-up, when needed.”

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.