Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1072624 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5520 on: November 04, 2012, 10:17:52 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8897662/EU-bans-claim-that-water-can-prevent-dehydration.html

I remember reading this and it hurt my brain-
water cannot be listed as a preventative for dehydration

:o :o
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5521 on: November 04, 2012, 10:54:56 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8897662/EU-bans-claim-that-water-can-prevent-dehydration.html

*blink* *blink*   woooooooow!!!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5522 on: November 04, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
I had to check that to make sure it wasn't some kind of satire by the Onion!

Minmom3

« Reply #5523 on: November 05, 2012, 12:09:30 AM »
The thing that stopped me from eating the Olestra chips, after a taste test, was that they didn't taste 'right' and they didn't smell 'right', and I'm REALLY fussy that way.  It was immaterial that it might be bad for me, I thought it was nasty stuff, so I haven't had it since.  I've gotten used to Splenda in my tea, so that's OK.  DH made me try Stevia, which I didn't like in my tea at all, it was like adding a citrus tang other than the intentional lemon!  Urgh!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #5524 on: November 05, 2012, 01:10:45 AM »
It makes my brain hurt when people say that, while dieting, you shouldn't drink diet soda or Crystal Light-type drinks because of the artificial sweeteners possibly causing sugar cravings. Yes, I'd love to only drink water or tea, but sometimes I want something sweet and if a Diet Coke keeps me from eating a slice of cake, well, that seems like a win to me. Plus I've never had that issue with artificial sweeteners but I have with sugar, so I know which I prefer to avoid.

I remember reading once that your body retains about 75% of the water in water but only 50-65% of the water in sodas. I don't have a source and it was a long time ago, so take it for what it's worth.

magician5

« Reply #5525 on: November 05, 2012, 04:28:23 AM »
I just can't wrap my brain around why he would think "yeah, whatever" was an appropriate response.

That's why he did it. He was making a show of independence (he's a kid, they don't rebel in non-irritating ways). "If my totally lame parents are gonna make me come to this totally lame church, and do this totally lame communion thing, I'm gonna drag my feet and go through with it in an impolite show of total disinterest ... that'll show them!"
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5526 on: November 05, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »

*blink* *blink*   woooooooow!!!

I had to check the date. I was hoping it was April 1.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5527 on: November 05, 2012, 01:05:23 PM »
I just can't wrap my brain around why he would think "yeah, whatever" was an appropriate response.

That's why he did it. He was making a show of independence (he's a kid, they don't rebel in non-irritating ways). "If my totally lame parents are gonna make me come to this totally lame church, and do this totally lame communion thing, I'm gonna drag my feet and go through with it in an impolite show of total disinterest ... that'll show them!"

Possibly he was at the stage where "yeah, whatever," is all he will say to adults, period.

"Here's an iPad, an ATV and a million dollars, all for you!"

"Yeah, whatever."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

HorseFreak

« Reply #5528 on: November 05, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »
I was watching Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Making the Team the other day and heard this gem from their *nutritionist*:

"Carbonation gives you cellulite by robbing your body of oxygen." (paraphrased)

I wanted to bang my head against the wall. There are better ways to keep your cheerleaders trim and off soda than spreading a total myth. Frankly, a real nutritionist should know better considering how much CO2 is in the air we breathe.

Oh, thank you so much.  I was so annoyed watching that episode.  She repeated that one three times . . .

I've heard since that one of the cheerleaders posted on Twitter that the "nutritionist" was brought in by the network to cause some drama.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5529 on: November 05, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
^ Well this might make your brains hurt more: in many states "nutritionist" is a meaningless title.  A "dietician" is a clinical, legal title that requires certain educational and practical standards.  But "nutritionist" is just a word and absolutely anyone can print up some business cards, hang up a sign and start charging people for their knowledge - even if that knowledge is 100% made up fairy tales.  One does not even need a high school diploma let alone any expertise to work as a nutritionist.  Trust me I know, I am one (I do have actual credentials though).

In fact if you eat, you are by strict definition a nutritionist, as you are someone who participates in nutrition.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #5530 on: November 05, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »

Possibly he was at the stage where "yeah, whatever," is all he will say to adults, period.

"Here's an iPad, an ATV and a million dollars, all for you!"

"Yeah, whatever."

His way of reverently addressing the Almighty?

suzieQ

« Reply #5531 on: November 05, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »
I got into a discussion on Friday at the hair salon I go to. We were talking about going to the local gym, and the conversation turned to fat vs. muscle. The stylists were trying to convince me that muscle turns into fat; and fat turns into muscle. Um, no, does not work that way. Then I was told that, "5 pounds of muscle weighs more than 5 pounds of fat."  :o There was NO convincing them just how wrong on so many levels that statement was.

LOL. Muscle does weigh more than fat, but five pounds is five pounds! Did you try telling them the old "which weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of elephant"?
Now you're making my brain hurt!  Muscle is denser than fat.  It took a college physics course to get my brain trained to know the difference between mass, weight, momentum, and speed.  You aren't going to seduce me back into my old ways of thinking! ;)
LOL Sorry about that! Let me rephrase. Hmmm. I can't think of  a way to put it! LOL How about a handful of muscle weighs more than the same size handful of fat? And looks better too! LOL
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

lilfox

« Reply #5532 on: November 05, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »
It makes my brain hurt when people say that, while dieting, you shouldn't drink diet soda or Crystal Light-type drinks because of the artificial sweeteners possibly causing sugar cravings.
<snip>

I hadn't heard this version, but I have heard/read to avoid diet sodas for weight control purposes because the feeling of virtue from picking a diet soda can translate into letting yourself splurge on something else high-calorier...  Possibly brain-hurty but at least partially backed by a 2005 study discussed here:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

suzieQ

« Reply #5533 on: November 05, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »

Everyone here knows the north east US has been severely damaged by Hurricane Sandy.  There is a hotel chain with more than 200 hotels in the storm area that have lost electricity, gas, running water, or some combination of the three.  I exercise with someone who works at the reservation center for that chain.  Tonight she told me that she spent much of today answering the phone, telling people ďno, you canít stay in <hotel> because they donít have <utility that has failed>.    She thinks some of the calls were from people in the area whose homes are also suffering from failure of those same utilities.  But others were from parts of the US far from the damage. 

There was a really nasty ice storm a few years back where I used to live and I lost power for several days. However, all the businesses around the corner less than a mile away weren't affected and were open. Doesn't hurt to call and check as long as you're being polite.

Yes, we did that when our power was out for several days over the summer. DS's insulin has to be kept cold, or it's only good for a month. We have some extra insulin that I did not want to go bad but he wouldn't use within a month. I took it (in a cold bag) to our local Publix and the wonderful pharmacist there put it in their fridge, because they had power.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

Shalamar

« Reply #5534 on: November 05, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »
I have one!

My department used to do a big potluck lunch for Christmas.   The plan was that you could either contribute $10, or you could donate a food item worth roughly that much.  I pretty much ran the whole thing.

My coworker Jim, who's always been an odd duck, told me "I'll contribute a casserole, but you'll have to cook it for me.".  I said "Um ... no.   I won't have time for that.".  "Then someone else can do it.". "NO.  They can't.   You can either cook it yourself or bring something else."

He then hurled a ten dollar bill at me, spitting "I can't cook it; it's too much work!"

Funny how it became too much work when HE was the one who'd have to do it.