Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 948264 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5760 on: November 19, 2012, 10:39:10 AM »
^ That hurts my brain... why not just give the address originally as where you want it delivered to begin with?  I UPS daily, you can absolutely deliver stuff to be dropped off in weird places. I had one customer who's UPS delivery was "Joe Schmoe, Throw box over fence, 123 Anywhere St, Brooklyn NY" and I've sent my niece boxes addressed via UPS delivery label "Amy Jones, The Cupboard under the stairs, 987 Townhouse Rd, Sacramento, CA".  Why not just put your address in as "Rashea Smith, Shed next to the mailbox, 105 Pitkins Rd, Yourtown, ST" to begin with? (Simply use the "company name" line for the "shed next to mailbox" bit.)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #5761 on: November 19, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »
Rashea, UPS will not leave any package by my house: it's their policy to not leave packages in my town. Instead they leave a notice and I'm supposed to drive to a warehouse in the middle of nowhere 45 minutes away to pick it up before 7, otherwise it goes back out on the truck so they can NOT deliver it another day. If I'm busy 3 days in a row until 7? Too bad, it gets returned to the shipper.

Right now my 91 year old grandmother is very upset and anxious that the present she shipped me did not make it to me and now I'm going to have to ask her to ship it again.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5762 on: November 19, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »
^^^^   ???

Why won't UPS leave packages in your town?  I never heard of such a thing!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #5763 on: November 19, 2012, 12:06:12 PM »
It sounds like a scam if they take money to deliver parcels to you when they know they won't.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Hillia

« Reply #5764 on: November 19, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
It sounds like a scam if they take money to deliver parcels to you when they know they won't.
[/quote

I think what she means is they won't leave the package unattended; someone has to be there to accept delivery, probably because of high theft rates in the area

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5765 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:49 PM »
I remember hearing stories last year around the holiday season where in some areas of Maryland a woman was seen going around and stealing packages off porches, and I think it might have happened in other parts of the country too, so I can see where the delivery guys may be doing the CYA thing.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5766 on: November 19, 2012, 12:43:19 PM »
^ That hurts my brain... why not just give the address originally as where you want it delivered to begin with?  I UPS daily, you can absolutely deliver stuff to be dropped off in weird places. I had one customer who's UPS delivery was "Joe Schmoe, Throw box over fence, 123 Anywhere St, Brooklyn NY" and I've sent my niece boxes addressed via UPS delivery label "Amy Jones, The Cupboard under the stairs, 987 Townhouse Rd, Sacramento, CA".  Why not just put your address in as "Rashea Smith, Shed next to the mailbox, 105 Pitkins Rd, Yourtown, ST" to begin with? (Simply use the "company name" line for the "shed next to mailbox" bit.)

Because I didn't know it would be UPS. Everyone else has managed to deliver to us. And because with this particular product, the shipping address and billing address needed to match.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5767 on: November 19, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »
When I first moved into this home I was expecting a UPS delivery. I wasn't home at the time of delivery, but there was a note taped to my door saying the package was delivered to "Bush."*

I hadn't met my neighbors yet so I went up and down the street, both sides knocking on doors asking if they were the Bush family and if a package for me was delivered to them.

I called UPS to ask which specific address the package was delivered to.

They told me that the package was left behind my front bushes. ::)

In my childhood home, my next door neighbors had the surname of "Bush"

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5768 on: November 19, 2012, 05:01:44 PM »
I'm actually surprised at the general honesty of society where packages presumably contain new shinies can be left on doorsteps, and not disappear forthwith (most of the time).
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5769 on: November 19, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »
I'm actually surprised at the general honesty of society where packages presumably contain new shinies can be left on doorsteps, and not disappear forthwith (most of the time).
True. My laptop was left on my porch without a signature and was there when I got home. They were supposed to deliver to apartment office.

I ordered a Chromebook and put the school address in. It was backordered - and they shipped it today. I am hoping that it gets to the school before the school closes for the holiday.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #5770 on: November 20, 2012, 02:12:54 AM »

I think what she means is they won't leave the package unattended; someone has to be there to accept delivery, probably because of high theft rates in the area

I don't know about high rates of theft in my area, since FedEx leaves packages by my door all the time and they're always there, but neither UPS or the Post Office will leave packages at an empty hosue. UPS not only needs a signature, they want a picture id as well. I spoke to my grandmother, who also lives in a small town, and she marched down to the UPS office and demanded they refund part of her money and they did! "I pay you to deliver packages and since you wouldn't do that, I deserve my money back." After she gave them a stern talking to, she swore to never ship via UPS again and this woman sends a lot of presents to her 4 children, 14 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.

While I'm still furious with UPS, I have firmly decided that I want to be like Grandma when I grow up.

Edited to fix the quote tree.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:01:06 AM by mbbored »

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5771 on: November 20, 2012, 02:45:22 AM »
It made my brain hurt when we first got computers at work.  I didn't have one at home and rarely used one in my previous jobs.  There was a problem with the computer.  I called our new computer tech (CT) over for help. 

CT: Did you reboot?
MK: Reboot?
CT: Turn it off and on again.
MK: Why would turning it off help?
CT: It usually does.
MK: How would that change anything?
CT: Try rebooting first.  Then call me if that doesn't help.
MK: I don't understand: How can turning it off fix the problem?
CT: Just try it.

OK, her brain probably hurt, too.  I don't think she had an answer as to how rebooting fixes problems, only that it usually works.

To be fair, rebooting often will help.  It lets the hard drive spin down and park, and that's often enough to make the computer "forget" the software glitch that's giving you grief.

Now you are probably thinking "OK, just buy the house and paint it." Noooooo.  The last time it came on the market the sellers insisted on a covenant in the sales paperwork.  Any new owners had to agree to leave everything pink.  IIRC, they also had a condition that the old owners could inspect the house on an annual basis to check that it hadn't been repainted.  Not surprisingly, they didn't find any buyers willing to agree to that.

No, no, nuh-uh.  When I buy a house, I will be *buying* it. Not purchasing a license to use said house, so I will not be signing a glorified EULA thankyouveryruttingmuch.  I'm sorry, built once you sell it, it's GONE.  Paint your new house Pinkie-Pie pink for all I care, crazy over-obsessed former house owners, but leave me out of it.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #5772 on: November 20, 2012, 08:10:21 AM »
[/quote

I don't know about high rates of theft in my area, since FedEx leaves packages by my door all the time and they're always there, but neither UPS or the Post Office will leave packages at an empty hosue. UPS not only needs a signature, they want a picture id as well. I spoke to my grandmother, who also lives in a small town, and she marched down to the UPS office and demanded they refund part of her money and they did! "I pay you to deliver packages and since you wouldn't do that, I deserve my money back." After she gave them a stern talking to, she swore to never ship via UPS again and this woman sends a lot of presents to her 4 children, 14 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.

While I'm still furious with UPS, I have firmly decided that I want to be like Grandma when I grow up.

I wanna be like your Grandma too!!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5773 on: November 20, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »
Midnight Kitty wrote:

"OK, her brain probably hurt, too.  I don't think she had an answer as to how rebooting fixes problems, only that it usually works."

If you want an answer as to why rebooting often fixes problems with computers, it's both simple and complex.  Computers store the data they need for running programs in RAM (random access memory, in case you care about the acronyms).  RAM only works when it's powered, which is why a computer forgets everything you were doing when the power goes out.  Many problems that computers develop are because something in RAM went wrong, like a program getting scrambled or loading into the wrong section of memory or whatever.  Rebooting a machine clears the RAM and forces the computer to reload it all, which will sort out a pretty big variety of errors and get things working as expected again.  The reason for turning it off and back on is that sometimes a computer will reboot without properly powering down the RAM, which means that the (messed up) data can still be there when the system restarts, and power-cycling the machine prevents that.  How memory gets messed up can be a very complex issue, but the simple answer is that a lot of computer problems are related to messed up programs in memory and rebooting is a simple and usually effective fix for it, so most technicians will suggest it as a first resort to try to clear up a problem.

Virg

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5774 on: November 20, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
Now you are probably thinking "OK, just buy the house and paint it." Noooooo.  The last time it came on the market the sellers insisted on a covenant in the sales paperwork.  Any new owners had to agree to leave everything pink.  IIRC, they also had a condition that the old owners could inspect the house on an annual basis to check that it hadn't been repainted.  Not surprisingly, they didn't find any buyers willing to agree to that.

No, no, nuh-uh.  When I buy a house, I will be *buying* it. Not purchasing a license to use said house, so I will not be signing a glorified EULA thankyouveryruttingmuch.  I'm sorry, built once you sell it, it's GONE.  Paint your new house Pinkie-Pie pink for all I care, crazy over-obsessed former house owners, but leave me out of it.
[/quote]

Don't give my DH any ideas!  Lord, no! The man loves Pinkie Pie and I wish I had enough money to retaliate with toy pirates!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata