Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 954275 times)

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #5925 on: November 29, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »
Major brain hurt with this Dear Prudie letter, "Should I tell my infertile Asian wife that I want all-white babies?"

SERIOUSLY?  I hope this guy has some seriously amazing redeeming qualities, or he's not going to be married for long  :-\

The part that caught me was how he wanted his future kids to look like their cousins. DD and DS's cousins are half Asian, and it doesn't bother them in the least.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:40:07 PM by hermanne »
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #5926 on: November 29, 2012, 09:39:58 PM »
Curiously, we also have sales taxes (national, state and municipal) and excises. They vary by product type, by city and by state. There are products that are exempt. There are products that have additional taxes. Yet stores still manage to display the total price, with tax, on the displays.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5927 on: November 29, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »
The middle child.

"Mom, I think I'm getting chubby."
"You are not, but if you are concerned about that, you should perhaps get more exercise so that you can maintain your weight."
"Okay.  Can I have some cookies while I watch tv?" 
"You clearly aren't that concerned after all, once I mention the exercise..."

He isn't chubby, but he does have DH's stocky build. Or as we say, he's solid.   He always felt heavier than the oldest one did, even when they were within a few pounds of each other.   He does now outweigh my oldest but pirateboy1 is also very slight of build, like a reed. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #5928 on: November 29, 2012, 10:04:56 PM »
Major brain hurt with this Dear Prudie letter, "Should I tell my infertile Asian wife that I want all-white babies?"

SERIOUSLY?  I hope this guy has some seriously amazing redeeming qualities, or he's not going to be married for long  :-\

He doesn't have a problem with his wife's race? How so very open-minded of him. I bet she thanks her stars every day that she married such a completely not racist guy.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5929 on: November 30, 2012, 12:56:29 AM »

He doesn't have a problem with his wife's race? How so very open-minded of him. I bet she thanks her stars every day that she married such a completely not racist guy.

I particularly enjoyed this line from his letter: "I don't think my wife has ever experienced racism..."

...except for maybe every time he interacts with her?

I actually find his attitude so offensive that I really have no words. Then again, I am a white person married to a non-white person, and I wouldn't want my children to look nothing like their father so that they can look exactly like me.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #5930 on: November 30, 2012, 04:26:06 AM »
In Hawaii, we don't have any sales tax.  We have an excise tax.  The selling party is responsible for paying the state for everything that sells, whether it is goods or services, food or medicine.  The stores add it after totalling all the items.  I think the current rate is something like 4.712%.  Many visitors from Mainland US think our "sales tax" rate is low, but they aren't seeing the full picture.  Every time the goods or services change hands, the excise tax is assessed.  Sales tax only gets paid by the last one to buy it.

I must admit, sales tax and tipping are two of the most brain hurty parts of life in these Unites States. :-\

It feels that posters keep telling of fresh variations on all these bewildering doings !  Your excise-tax thing -- by any chance, do people call it "Lili'uokalani's Revenge"? (I've recently been reading stuff concerning Hawaii, a region about which I'd hitherto known almost nothing.  It sounds a fascinating place.)

TomatoBunny

« Reply #5931 on: November 30, 2012, 05:17:50 AM »
All the tax talk made me think of a grocery store that semi-recently just opened in my area. Their set up really hurts my brain and I don't understand why they can't just act like all the other stores.

Their ads make a big deal about how they sell everything at cost to save us money. Then the 'small print' is all "oh yeah, we add 10% at the register".  ::)  So, I don't understand why they don't just factor in the 10% and price it accordingly on the shelf. The shelves are tagged like any other store, so the effort of prices/price changes is already there. Only now there are oodles of colorful signs reminding people that it's +10% at the register. OODLES of signs. Everywhere.

So they wind up being; Marked Item Price + 10% + Sales Tax = Final Price you are charged. All I can figure is that they're trying to look cheap for those who don't think ahead. :-\ 

Louie_LI

« Reply #5932 on: November 30, 2012, 06:36:36 AM »
The documents my office creates are in a large format: 11"x17" (Ledger).
Unfortunately, most office desks aren't sized for documents that large.
Folks make do.

Cue brain hurty conversation with my coworker:

Jed {via email} "Hey, can you please order me some 11x17 hanging file folders?"

Me {via email} "Sorry, but I'm not sure they actually make that size. Also, that size doesn't fit in our desks."

Jed then came over to my desk and opened the drawer. "See? It's the right size."
"Well, my desk is different than yours, and the documents won't fit in yours."

Jed "No, I'll show you"and he lead me back to his office.

Jed "See?" {holds up a file} "These fit in my desk."
Shows how file fits in his desk. Then he holds file beside one of the large documents.
Puzzled "Why doesn't this match?"  ???

Me "Um...because the file you're holding is 8 1/2 "x14" and the other document is 11"x17"?" ::)

Jed {headdesk}.

Poor guy. He was just having a brain hurty day. We had a similar circular conversation about taxes and I kept explaining that 5% of the total was going to be the same amount as...5% of the total.

Yeah. He works with numbers. Does it show?  :)

I don't know about your desk, but the frame in my hanging file drawer allows for files to be hung either parallel or perpendicular to the front of the door, which means that the hanging folders can be either for standard or for 11x17 paper. Of course, all the hanging folders have to be the same size, then.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5933 on: November 30, 2012, 06:41:15 AM »

I particularly enjoyed this line from his letter: "I don't think my wife has ever experienced racism..."

I actually find his attitude so offensive that I really have no words. Then again, I am a white person married to a non-white person, and I wouldn't want my children to look nothing like their father so that they can look exactly like me.

Reading his letter actually made me nauseous. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5934 on: November 30, 2012, 06:50:42 AM »

What really got me was that he wanted his kids to be all-white so they would look like him, their cousins and his neighbours.
... Might she not want them look like HER????

It makes me sick :(

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #5935 on: November 30, 2012, 09:00:35 AM »

Wow, ouch. Says the adopted Asian married to a white man.

Yeah, I'm so sure she's never experienced racism. Married to this guy AND living in a primarily white area? Doubtful.  ::)

Hillia

« Reply #5936 on: November 30, 2012, 09:33:40 AM »
I have an employee who works out of an office in a different state.  She has back problems and the standard office chairs aggravate them and cause her pain.  So several years ago, she went through the corporate ergonomic assessment, tried several different chairs, and found one that worked for her. 

Since then, HR and all related areas (like health and safety, who do the ergonomics) has been outsourced, and the people she worked with are no longer at the company.  She was never given anything in writing about her chair.

Wednesday of this week, the facility manager at her office sent out an email stating that EVERYONE's chair would be replaced next week. If you were on a list that the department admin had, your chair would be left alone.  Of course my employee's name is not on the magic list, so she contacted the facilities manager to ask what she could do - she's perfectly willing to try the new wonderful chair, but she'd like to keep her current chair available for a few days or a week to be sure the new chair will work.

Facilities manager told her to contact HR. HR gave her the new health and safety contact.  Health and safety's advice is...try the new wonderful chair, and if it doesn't work, we'll work with you to find a new one.  Which sounds great, except that if the new chair doesn't work, she's stuck with potentially several weeks/months of back pain while the wheels grind through ordering a new chair, trying it for a few days, trying another one...all of which could be saved if they'd just let her keep her current chair.

I suggested hiding it in an empty office or storeroom, but Facilities Manager has made it very clear that they will be going into all empty offices, storage spaces, conference rooms, etc, to stamp out the evil that is Nonconforming Chairs.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MerryCat

« Reply #5937 on: November 30, 2012, 09:36:55 AM »

That is exactly what I was thinking! He's probably one of those "that's not really racism," guys who minimizes the experiences of others. His poor wife could do so much better.

That said, I wish Prudie hadn't given her reply such a political slant because it distracts so much from the issues at hand. I wish she'd just focused on the fact that the husband was being both insensitive and racist himself, in spite of his alleged open mindedness.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5938 on: November 30, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »
Amen to all that have posted on this. 

This guy's attitude is so abhorrent it's hard to believe that such people still exist.  Niece and nephews are half-Asian.  Their children are also mixed.  So far as I know, no one has ever found this a problem.  Even my notoriously intolerant Aunt didn't turn a hair when I married Mr. Thipu.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5939 on: November 30, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »
I made a co-workers wife brain hurty by mistake yesterday.  Co-worker and I both normally work from home but when we go into the office, you're normally use the same office and there is a desk phone we can log into to have our calls routed to us.  He had been in the day before and hadn't logged out of the phone and I was running late and forgot to log in.

Around 10 I answer a call
Me: Hello, this is Hmmmm
Caller: sorry I dialed the wrong number
Few secs later, I answered again same way.
Caller: um, is Don there?
Me still thinking she is calling my number: Don Jones? I'm not sure if he is here today.
Caller: who is this?
Me: may I ask who is calling?
Caller: this is Dons wife.
Me: oh, this is Hmmm, are u trying to reach him? Do you want me to see if he's online? (when what Im really thinking is you crazy lady just call Don.)
Caller: are you at my house?  Dons working from home today and I'm calling his number so you must be at my house?

The light bulb finally goes off for me and we crack up once I explained what had happened.  She had decided I was some burgler who'd knocked Don out and decided to start answering his phone.