Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1049721 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6180 on: December 17, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »
Pen^2 wrote:

"This was five years ago, and I still can't work it out. And let me tell you, nothing is more awkward than having a phone conversation with someone within arm's length."

Beyond his being a secret comedian, I'd bet the policy exists because they record phone calls so they have a voice record, so there's logic in the idea that an in-person reservation doesn't leave any information trail.  Most sane people would handle that by having you sign something, but either someone is inflexible about it or he was having you on.

Virg

MrTango

« Reply #6181 on: December 17, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »
Pen^2 wrote:

"This was five years ago, and I still can't work it out. And let me tell you, nothing is more awkward than having a phone conversation with someone within arm's length."

Beyond his being a secret comedian, I'd bet the policy exists because they record phone calls so they have a voice record, so there's logic in the idea that an in-person reservation doesn't leave any information trail.  Most sane people would handle that by having you sign something, but either someone is inflexible about it or he was having you on.

Virg

Abe Froman?  The Sausage King of Chicago?

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #6182 on: December 17, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »
MrTango, are you getting snooty?  or snotty?
 >:D >:D >:D

(movie reference)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

MrTango

« Reply #6183 on: December 17, 2012, 03:37:54 PM »
MrTango, are you getting snooty?  or snotty?
 >:D >:D >:D

(movie reference)

8)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6184 on: December 17, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
I wonder if she tried to report you for child abandonment after you got off!

I wonder if you had looked back, you could have seen her yelling through the glass, "Wait! Wait! You forgot your children!"?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Snowy Owl

« Reply #6185 on: December 17, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »
I wonder if she tried to report you for child abandonment after you got off!

I wonder if you had looked back, you could have seen her yelling through the glass, "Wait! Wait! You forgot your children!"?

It wouldn't actually surprise me given her complete unwillingness to take on board what I was saying.   Afraid I was more keen to get where I was supposed to be going and get on with my Christmas task list than to check her reaction to my departure so I've no clue what she once I left the train.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

snowflake

« Reply #6186 on: December 17, 2012, 07:08:26 PM »
This reminds me that I actually got banned from a boutique in the Bay area in a similar vein.  I was looking at something else when some older women grabbed some earrings off a rack and threw them on the ground when they decided that they didn't want them.  Since the earrings were on a mega-clearance I picked them up to check them out, and then I put them back on the rack.  (I'm sort of type A.)

The clerk began yelling at me for "throwing merchandise around without a reason."  I pointed out the miscreants and said I was simply putting the stuff back. I asked why on earth I'd make a mess when I was the one picking them up. 

She told me to stop getting fresh, did a great job of insulting me and calling me names, and told me that they didn't need hoodlums like me.  Apparently being a teen wearing a sweatshirt and jeans meant I was up to no good so she banned me from the store.

I stopped there two years later while shopping an old friend and refused to go in.  When the clerk asked me if I was interested in their merchandise.  I know this is petty, but I pointed out that I was banned rude clerk earlier.  I said that while I planned to do lots of retail therapy that day, I wasn't buying anything there.  The new woman actually told me that I was probably one of "those" teens who thought I could do anything and deserved to be banned. 

So I'm technically still banned. I wouldn't have worried about it but seriously?  I was picking up the items!  Why did she assume I was the one who threw them around in the first place?  Who makes random messes for the fun of cleaning it up?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6187 on: December 17, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »
This reminds me that I actually got banned from a boutique in the Bay area in a similar vein.  I was looking at something else when some older women grabbed some earrings off a rack and threw them on the ground when they decided that they didn't want them.  Since the earrings were on a mega-clearance I picked them up to check them out, and then I put them back on the rack.  (I'm sort of type A.)

The clerk began yelling at me for "throwing merchandise around without a reason."  I pointed out the miscreants and said I was simply putting the stuff back. I asked why on earth I'd make a mess when I was the one picking them up. 

She told me to stop getting fresh, did a great job of insulting me and calling me names, and told me that they didn't need hoodlums like me.  Apparently being a teen wearing a sweatshirt and jeans meant I was up to no good so she banned me from the store.

I stopped there two years later while shopping an old friend and refused to go in.  When the clerk asked me if I was interested in their merchandise.  I know this is petty, but I pointed out that I was banned rude clerk earlier.  I said that while I planned to do lots of retail therapy that day, I wasn't buying anything there.  The new woman actually told me that I was probably one of "those" teens who thought I could do anything and deserved to be banned. 

So I'm technically still banned. I wouldn't have worried about it but seriously?  I was picking up the items!  Why did she assume I was the one who threw them around in the first place?  Who makes random messes for the fun of cleaning it up?

It's not petty, it's valuable customer feedback.  And the feedback you received in return is far more valuable.  :)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6188 on: December 19, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »
The bank I work at has online bill pay.  You can set up recurring payments (the same amount on the same date every month) or one time payments.  I received this call from a customer.

Customer:  I can't change the amount for my recurring payment.

Me:  I can help with that.  You can cancel the current payment plan and set up a different amount.

Customer:  That's going to be a pain to cancel each month. 

Me: ...???.  Are the monthly payments a different amount each month?

Customer:  Yes.

Me.  Those are called one time payments.  You can go the the merchant name and plug in the amount and due date whenever you wish.  Recurring payments mean the same amount of money on the same date each month.

Customer:  NO!  That's what you think it means.  I just want to change the amount each month without cancelling the recurring payment.

Me:  I'm sorry sir.  That's not possible with our system.  I understand you pay the bill each month, but since the amount is different each month, they are called one time payments.  Recurring payments mean the same amount each month so people don't have to log into the system and change it each month.  Since you have to log into the service and put in different amounts each month anyway, you can simply do it as a one time payment.  Because you are only paying $23 this one time and next month, you will pay a different amount one time.

Customer:  NO!  These are recurring payments.  You don't know what you're talking about. 

Round and round it goes.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6189 on: December 19, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »
^ I actually get both of your frustrations.  On his end, I agree its ridiculous and quite frankly untrue to call it a "one time payment" - he's paying it every month, not just one time.  Lets say its his credit card - so the amount if going to vary every month, but he still needs to pay every month, so its not "one time" by any definition of the word "one".

I totally get from your end its not a "reoccurring payment" because while its a regular monthly bill the amount changes and doesn't exactly reoccur int eh same amount to be paid.

So I think it just needs to be explained to him "ok what you need to do is set it up the first time as a 'payee' and then every month when you log on you got to 'pay my bills' and simply click on this payee - it will stay there - and then you just type in the amount each month. Since you want to change the amount every month you shouldn't use 'reoccurring', just leave the company in there as a payee."  Leave out the words "one time" (and perhaps inform your higher ups its bad terminology so at next update they can change it).

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6190 on: December 19, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »
^ Oh, the language and instructions got simpler and simpler.  He just didn't get it no matter how I tried to explain.  From his history, he has made one time payments (for example, he goes in to pay for game tickets every year), so he knows the payees are always there on his list.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6191 on: December 19, 2012, 04:51:15 PM »
^ I actually get both of your frustrations.  On his end, I agree its ridiculous and quite frankly untrue to call it a "one time payment" - he's paying it every month, not just one time.  Lets say its his credit card - so the amount if going to vary every month, but he still needs to pay every month, so its not "one time" by any definition of the word "one".

I totally get from your end its not a "reoccurring payment" because while its a regular monthly bill the amount changes and doesn't exactly reoccur int eh same amount to be paid.

So I think it just needs to be explained to him "ok what you need to do is set it up the first time as a 'payee' and then every month when you log on you got to 'pay my bills' and simply click on this payee - it will stay there - and then you just type in the amount each month. Since you want to change the amount every month you shouldn't use 'reoccurring', just leave the company in there as a payee."  Leave out the words "one time" (and perhaps inform your higher ups its bad terminology so at next update they can change it).

He is paying that specific amount only one time, though, which is why it is a one time payment.  It makes sense to me. *shrugs*
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Ereine

« Reply #6192 on: December 19, 2012, 05:18:05 PM »
There may be a reason for it but a letter I received from an organization made my brain hurt a little. It was a reminder that of payments due, that they had checked their records and I hadn't paid the membership fee for a few months (I actually hadn't paid it because the fee is a percentage of my wages and I hadn't been paid yet so it made sense). The letter was something like six pages lomg and page number two confused me, it said "This letter was printed by accident, ignore it. Sorry :(." I've been trying to think why they have to send out letters that were printed by accident and can't really think of one.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6193 on: December 19, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
There may be a reason for it but a letter I received from an organization made my brain hurt a little. It was a reminder that of payments due, that they had checked their records and I hadn't paid the membership fee for a few months (I actually hadn't paid it because the fee is a percentage of my wages and I hadn't been paid yet so it made sense). The letter was something like six pages lomg and page number two confused me, it said "This letter was printed by accident, ignore it. Sorry :(." I've been trying to think why they have to send out letters that were printed by accident and can't really think of one.

:) That reminds me of the documents i get that midway through, for no apparent reason, will have a page saying

THIS PAGE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK

right in the middle of the page. Ok, well ... um ... but it says THIS PAGE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK ... so ... it isn't blank. And why? One day i will ask. For now i am satisfied with the mystery. It's the little things, y'know. :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6194 on: December 19, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »
There's actually a very good reason for "This Page Intentionally Left Blank," despite the apparent absurdity. When you have documents printed on two sides of the page, you'll frequently have one side blank. Sometimes it isn't easy to tell whether the blank page is because there's no text, or if it's blank because of a printing error. They print a bit of text on those pages to make it clear that there wasn't a mistake. Very useful when you have stacks of forms to copy and someone forgets to hit the "duplex" button.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain