Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1073000 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #6975 on: February 07, 2013, 01:59:53 PM »
On the radio this morning, they were doing a call-in segment, asking listeners if they paid their kids for certain things. Several callers talked about paying their kids for good grades. One woman in particular seemed to not have a grasp of financial realities. She pays her kids $100 for As. She does this because her kids like expensive things that the family can't afford, so she pays them so they can afford it themselves.

My dad hurt my brain when I was a kid.  Many of my friends got money rewards for good grades.  I didn't and I asked about it.  I was in third or fourth grade at the time.  My dad said "why should I pay you for good grades?  Its your job to get good grades, you shouldn't need to be bribed."

I was a kid sure, but I was old enough to know my dad didn't go to work every morning for fun, or for free.  He went because it was his job and he was paid for it.  It wasn't bribery, it was payment for a job done.

A better argument would have been "education is the reward."  Not that would have resonated with a kid any better...

Oh for sure.  Or even to say "its your responsibility to get good grades", but it killed me he said the word "job" and then tried to justify why I shouldn't be paid for a job.  I remember even calling him out on it and getting a parent shut down (something like "regardless you aren't getting paid for grades, now go do your homework" or the like). 

ScubaGirl

« Reply #6976 on: February 07, 2013, 02:38:17 PM »
On the radio this morning, they were doing a call-in segment, asking listeners if they paid their kids for certain things. Several callers talked about paying their kids for good grades. One woman in particular seemed to not have a grasp of financial realities. She pays her kids $100 for As. She does this because her kids like expensive things that the family can't afford, so she pays them so they can afford it themselves.

I listen to the same station and heard the same thing - and thought the same thing.  I wondered if she meant that by doing it this way the money was spread over time.  But, even that doesn't make a lot of sense.

LB

« Reply #6977 on: February 07, 2013, 02:54:58 PM »
My MIL got a computer for Christmas, which has also caused us many brain hurting conversations. She calls my DH at least once a week because the computer is "garbage", "frozen", or "screwed up."

Once, she couldn't get it to turn on. DH told her to charge the battery. Wow! That fixed it!

Once, she called to say it was frozen, nothing was coming up when she clicked on it. DH went over to look at it. She had IE open 56 times!

And her friend gives her computer advice like "Click on anything you want! Anything can be fixed!"  :o

DH just told me the other day she wants me to come over and teach her about Pinterest.  :P Hmm. My schedule is suddenly very full.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6978 on: February 07, 2013, 03:14:39 PM »
My boss is also brain-hurty about computers. She buys a lot of them for use at the office and knows they're important to have. She's quite paranoid about viruses and downloading things from the Internet in general. But, she doesn't like/trust the anti-virus software we have (mandated by the company). So, she's afraid of viruses... but she doesn't want us to keep the anti-virus software updated... so she just keeps some of the most important computers unplugged from the Internet. So they never get any kind of software updates. But, you know, those could be viruses in disguise, so... And she won't hire or designate anyone knowledgeable and make it their job to maintain the computers responsibly. Or ask the company IT guys to do it for us, because they might want to do extra stuff (mandated by the company!) that she doesn't want.

Another one. There's a built-in projector in a room she uses three times a week. It's been acting weird lately, because it's old, and the blinking or whatever actually makes her nauseous and dizzy. She complains about it to me every single time, all day. She complained to the IT people and made them order a new one (at their expense). Which they probably should have anyway, but she dreads going down and using the old one each day until the new one arrives. I said, "What about that [new, modern] portable projector we have? You could take that to the room and set it up." Oh, that's way too much trouble to go through every time! She'd rather get nauseous and dizzy and complain about it to me three days a week, apparently.

On a different subject, a co-worker really made my brain hurt about food on a conference trip we took together. She has religious restrictions on food ingredients but her way of dealing with it was so inconsistent. First, although we'd discussed the food options and her restrictions several times well in advance, she did nothing to help herself beforehand, like bringing her own food, looking up menus for chain restaurants that would be nearby, or contacting the conference management to ask about the food they'd be providing. Then she would do stuff like refuse to eat the provided breakfast pastries because they might have a forbidden ingredient... but then happily chow down on sandwiches, i.e. bread, without asking about the ingredients. She had a meal at one place she really enjoyed; and only when we went back there a second time did she ask about the ingredients and learn that what she'd eaten had a forbidden thing in it (so she had to get food from somewhere else). Or she'd ask me if I thought something had a forbidden ingredient, instead of asking a server (to which I said, "I don't know. You should ask the server"). Twice she wanted to order a "burger" to eat... she's a vegetarian. The descriptions didn't say anything about meat, she claimed. Yes, she is from another country, but she's lived in the US for at least three years, as an adult (married, small child, PhD).
~Lynn2000

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6979 on: February 07, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »
Twice she wanted to order a "burger" to eat... she's a vegetarian. The descriptions didn't say anything about meat, she claimed.

That doesn't make my brain so much hurt, as crawl into a corner rocking and humming to itself.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

snowflake

« Reply #6980 on: February 07, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »

My dad hurt my brain when I was a kid.  Many of my friends got money rewards for good grades.  I didn't and I asked about it.  I was in third or fourth grade at the time.  My dad said "why should I pay you for good grades?  Its your job to get good grades, you shouldn't need to be bribed."

I was a kid sure, but I was old enough to know my dad didn't go to work every morning for fun, or for free.  He went because it was his job and he was paid for it.  It wasn't bribery, it was payment for a job done.

A better argument would have been "education is the reward."  Not that would have resonated with a kid any better...

Oh for sure.  Or even to say "its your responsibility to get good grades", but it killed me he said the word "job" and then tried to justify why I shouldn't be paid for a job.  I remember even calling him out on it and getting a parent shut down (something like "regardless you aren't getting paid for grades, now go do your homework" or the like). 

My dad told us we didn't get paid for grades because he didn't want us to be motivated by impure motives.  Sadly, it didn't work at all.  My siblings and I are all hopeless in that regard.   ;D

mmswm

« Reply #6981 on: February 07, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »
This isn't a conversation, but my brain is hurting trying to figure out the "why" of what I saw in the way home today.

We passed a car crash.  This isn't brain-hurty, or even notable. What's hurting my brain is that the emergency response to the crash included the venom response unit.  My brain is going all kinds of crazy trying to figure out why that unit would be necessary for a car crash.  The only thing I can come up with is that a coral snake slithered into a car, distracted the driver and caused the crash.  Or maybe a venomous spider. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Shalamar

« Reply #6982 on: February 07, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
My MIL made my brain hurt about computers, too.  My husband is a database administrator for a well-known "blue" company, and this company often offers its employees the opportunity to buy new or gently used computers at reduced prices.  When MIL started saying that she wanted a computer, my husband offered to get her one through work.  She turned him down (no idea why - it wasn't a matter of money, since she didn't even know how much they would have been charging).  Instead, she bought the computer that my brother-in-law recommended.  Now, BIL is a great guy, but he's a trucker by trade, and the only time he ever uses his home computer is to send an e-mail or play a game.   My point is that my husband knows a bit more about them than BIL does, but that wouldn't matter a bit if his recommendation had been a good one.  It wasn't, and now MIL complains all the time about how the computer is "garbage" and tries to get my husband to fix it.  (Maybe if she didn't happily open every single e-mail she gets, including spam from people she doesn't know, it wouldn't be in such bad shape.)

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #6983 on: February 07, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »
This isn't a conversation, but my brain is hurting trying to figure out the "why" of what I saw in the way home today.

We passed a car crash.  This isn't brain-hurty, or even notable. What's hurting my brain is that the emergency response to the crash included the venom response unit.  My brain is going all kinds of crazy trying to figure out why that unit would be necessary for a car crash.  The only thing I can come up with is that a coral snake slithered into a car, distracted the driver and caused the crash.  Or maybe a venomous spider.

Maybe the vehicle was transporting venomous snakes, spiders, or scorpions and their cages broke on impact.

mmswm

« Reply #6984 on: February 07, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »

Maybe the vehicle was transporting venomous snakes, spiders, or scorpions and their cages broke on impact.

There's that.  There's also the possibility that that truck just happened to witness the accident, or was nearby, and stopped to help.  My brain still hurt for a while trying to come up with options.  Anything's possible, I suppose.  This is South Florida.  There's a reason why we even have a venom response team. The possibilities really are endless.  It has, however, proven to be an amusing source of speculation for me and the kids, coming up with ever more wild stories.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #6985 on: February 08, 2013, 05:46:44 PM »
My husband volunteers at the library once a month. He works in the used book sales section, and it's usually very slow. This afternoon after he got home, he was telling me about how he got halfway to work this morning and realized he hadn't brought his iPad or the book he's been reading along to "keep himself busy while volunteering." Yeah. Because it's not like that place you're volunteering at would have anything there to read. (facepalm)
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Jocelyn

« Reply #6986 on: February 08, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »

Maybe it was a slow day for the venom response unit, and they were in the neighborhood, and stopped by to see what their colleagues were doing and if they could help?

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6987 on: February 09, 2013, 07:45:02 AM »
My husband volunteers at the library once a month. He works in the used book sales section, and it's usually very slow. This afternoon after he got home, he was telling me about how he got halfway to work this morning and realized he hadn't brought his iPad or the book he's been reading along to "keep himself busy while volunteering." Yeah. Because it's not like that place you're volunteering at would have anything there to read. (facepalm)

*snerk*

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6988 on: February 09, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
While I'm not a supervisor, I do handle escalated calls at my call center. Today I had one because a customer who lives in Utah was angry that the letter we sent yesterday (February 6, 2013) from Florida wasn't at her house today (February 7, 2013).

It took me five minutes to finally get through to her why she wouldn't have gotten the letter yet. I did offer to fax or email it to her, but she didn't want anything to do with that. She just kept insisting that the post office should have gotten it to her by now.  ???

I had one of these the other day too!  A guy called in and wanted to know why he hadn't received the letter confirming that his claim was approved; he thought whoever he'd talked to on the phone had been messing with him and that his claim really wasn't approved after all.  ???  That part kind of made my brain hurt too - I don't know why he would think that's likely to happen.  Anyway, I looked it up in our system, and saw that we had approved his claim and set up the letter to go out on Wednesday.  Our letters only go out once a day, so it probably went out Thursday.  This was Friday, and the guy is on the opposite side of the US.  I tried to explain that he needed to allow for mail time for the letter to reach him.  I don't think he ever understood or believed me, but eventually he just hung up the phone. 

Then there are the people who have extreme views on what information we should have once their claim is filed.  On the one hand are the people who believe that filing an insurance claim gives us access to their entire lives, and are stunned to find out it doesn't work that way (no, I can't see that you just got a promotion/went to your doctor yesterday/filed a police report).  I had one guy yell at me for 10 minutes because I told him that I couldn't see in my system that he'd visited his doctor's office earlier that day.  I shouldn't need to ask those questions, because I should already know!  ::)  On the other hand are the people who don't want us to have any information, and spend half the time they're on the phone with us yelling about how we don't need this information and we're just going to use it for nefarious purposes.  One guy refused to give us permission to contact his doctors for information at all, and was infuriated when we denied his claim due to lack of supporting information.  Apparently we were just supposed to take his word for it as to what happened, because he's a trustworthy person.  :o

Reika

« Reply #6989 on: February 09, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »

Then there are the people who have extreme views on what information we should have once their claim is filed.  On the one hand are the people who believe that filing an insurance claim gives us access to their entire lives, and are stunned to find out it doesn't work that way (no, I can't see that you just got a promotion/went to your doctor yesterday/filed a police report).  I had one guy yell at me for 10 minutes because I told him that I couldn't see in my system that he'd visited his doctor's office earlier that day.  I shouldn't need to ask those questions, because I should already know!  ::)  On the other hand are the people who don't want us to have any information, and spend half the time they're on the phone with us yelling about how we don't need this information and we're just going to use it for nefarious purposes.  One guy refused to give us permission to contact his doctors for information at all, and was infuriated when we denied his claim due to lack of supporting information.  Apparently we were just supposed to take his word for it as to what happened, because he's a trustworthy person.  :o

I get the same exact calls, but then again, I think I work for a similar type of insurance.