News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 19, 2017, 05:57:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1953562 times)

Coralreef

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7365 on: March 07, 2013, 08:25:50 AM »
We had a neighbour who had plastic over everything, furniture, plastic runners on the floor, her kids were not allowed in the house except to eat and sleep, because they could make a mess.

Then she always wondered why they left home so early in life and never came back to see her. 

Lady, YOU pushed them out, don't complain now. 
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

Luci

« Reply #7366 on: March 07, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »
Car upholstery used to be pretty weak, so whenever anyone bought a new car we would get ads for seatcovers that even included lots of samples. (I played with them when I was little  :) ) Many people did buy the covers, then remove them when it was time to sell the car, and others would use the original upholstery and then buy the covers when it wore out. The former always made my brain hurt - they paid for it, they ought to enjoy it without the inconvenience of uncomfortable or illfitting or not quite matching covers.

Now upholstery  it much, much better. We have over 120,000 miles on our motorhome, and if you remember that I am a bit overweight and yet swivel in the seat, sliding on the fabric about every hour to get in and out of the seat when traveling and it doesn't show a bit of wear, it is really amazing.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7367 on: March 07, 2013, 08:46:25 AM »
We had a neighbour who had plastic over everything, furniture, plastic runners on the floor, her kids were not allowed in the house except to eat and sleep, because they could make a mess.

Then she always wondered why they left home so early in life and never came back to see her. 

That's quite possibly the worst thing I have ever heard.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #7368 on: March 07, 2013, 08:48:19 AM »
That is pretty sad.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

« Reply #7369 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:08 AM »

That was always a kind of brain-hurt.  People have beautifully holstered furniture and then cover it in plastic.  A house is a place to live.  It shouldn't be enclosed in a baggie. 

We also had a friend who, while she didn't have a velvet rope blocking off her living room, was darn close.  We always joked that she should because nobody ever set foot in there.  Another brain-hurry
 thing about her home was that the only books in evidence were Reader's Digest Condensed books and they were all color co-ordinated with the decor of the rooms.  The ones in the sacrosanct living room were all pink and beige while those in the den were all green.

You had to wonder how much thought was expended on something so silly. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:55:40 AM by Thipu1 »

Coralreef

« Reply #7370 on: March 07, 2013, 09:02:53 AM »

That's quite possibly the worst thing I have ever heard.

Pretty much the reason my house was not up to House and Garden standards when the kids were growing up.  One wall was dedicated to their arts and crafts, floor to ceiling tacked on and taped on stuff.  As long as you were not wearing shoes, feet on couch and chair were OK.  General rule was that if it could be washed, it was not a problem. 
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

Thipu1

« Reply #7371 on: March 07, 2013, 09:10:07 AM »
What was that old saying?

Our house is clean enough to be healthy and messy enough to be happy. 

Coralreef

« Reply #7372 on: March 07, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »
What was that old saying?

Our house is clean enough to be healthy and messy enough to be happy.
YES!  This is the perfect way to describe it. 

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #7373 on: March 07, 2013, 09:15:37 AM »
My parents always expected me to keep my house model worthy clean.  Baseboards always pristine, floors vacuumed anytime anyone dropped something, no handprints on windows or fridge) I tried to keep it as clean as possible but really, at the time I worked 40 hours a week and had 2 young boys.  My brother's theory was that they didn't understand what it was like to have two young kids close in age, since he and I are 8 years apart and I was old enough to keep him occupied while my mother cleaned and we had a maid come in every 2 weeks.

I like the saying that keeping a pristine house with children around is like shoveling the walk before it's stopped snowing.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

magicdomino

« Reply #7374 on: March 07, 2013, 09:24:43 AM »

My sister swears one of her friends put a velvet rope across the entrance to her living room.  No one ever went in there.   :)

Did your sister happen to live in Illinois?  We knew a family like that too.  They really did have one of those velvet ropes on poles strung across the entrance into their living room.  No one in the family was permitted in there.  To the best of my knowledge, no guest ever crossed that barrier either.  No one ever went near the living room, the dining room or the real family room on the ground floor.  The mother vacuumed and dusted those rooms once a week, but otherwise they were untouched by human hands or feet.

They used the kitchen, and they used their bedrooms and upstairs baths, but otherwise all activities took place in the basement.

Virginia, I think.  Same situation though.

Roodabega

« Reply #7375 on: March 07, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »
When I was in college, my then GF now wife, had a suitemate who loved sour cream.  She would buy tubs of it and just eat it by the spoonful.  Until someone else in the room told her what sour cream was.  Whether it's done deliberately though a chemical process or naturally through aging, sour cream is "soured" cream.

She never considered the possibilities generated by the name.  Also she never really looked at what was in sour cream.  All the fats in it wouldn't really make it a good snack food in large quantities.  My wife said when she was told, she Ew'ed and didn't eat it again for the rest of the school year.  Evidently the fact that it was "sour" made it unsuitable for consumption, even after being told that being "sour" was OK and not bad (except in the calorie department) for you.

Amara

« Reply #7376 on: March 07, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
I have light colored furniture and furnishings for the most part, gorgeous things I love. I also have three black cats who not only shed but cough up hairballs, vomit up dinner, and occasionally--how can I phrase this delicately?--leave the litter before they should and feel a need to scrape their bottoms on the rug. Also, they have claws. One corner of one sofa is a goner. The comforters have tiny threads sticking out. I can have perfection or I can have cats who love me. I choose the latter.

Seriously, though, I never understood the mindset of those who says things are too good to use. My paternal grandmother would always say that about her Christmas gifts like purses. We never saw her use them even though she claimed to love them. (I think she meant it too.) Furniture, clothes, accessories, kitchen items, rugs, etc. are meant to be used up, to wear out, in other words, to be loved.

I can still see in my mind's eye a page out of an old (ca. 1974) Architectural Digest book on the homes of celebrities that showed Joan Crawford with her husband, Alfred Steele, at home in their white living room. The two sofas on which each of them was shown lying down with a book, were completely "plasticized." (Ah ha! Found one from the same shoot: http://www.joancrawfordbest.com/newyorkcoveroct0906.jpg ) Sure, it's perfect. It's just lifeless.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #7377 on: March 07, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »
Joan Crawford, as in "Mommie Dearest"? "No wire hangers" Joan Crawford?

Amara

« Reply #7378 on: March 07, 2013, 11:31:46 AM »
One in the same. All plastic, wood and ... well, scary.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7379 on: March 07, 2013, 11:33:18 AM »

That was always a kind of brain-hurt.  People have beautifully holstered furniture and then cover it in plastic.  A house is a place to live.  It shouldn't be enclosed in a baggie. 

We also had a friend who, while she didn't have a velvet rope blocking off her living room, was darn close.  We always joked that she should because nobody ever set foot in there.  Another brain-hurry
 thing about her home was that the only books in evidence were Reader's Digest Condensed books and they were all color co-ordinated with the decor of the rooms.  The ones in the sacrosanct living room were all pink and beige while those in the den were all green.

You had to wonder how much thought was expended on something so silly. 

That would be Mother's living room when we were older. Some of the things had the original plastic wrapper left on, and books and magazines arranged carefully on the coffee table and never moved for ages except to dust. I referred to it as 'funeral decor'. It always looked to me like someone had died and their relatives had cleaned the room and taken all the personal effects out in preparation for the funeral service.

My own housekeeping is awful. :-[ I think part of that may be because I just can't stand looking at a perfectly sterile, empty room. It reminds me too much of my childhood.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.