Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1052811 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7455 on: March 08, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »
If you can use Windows XP, then Windows 7 will be easy (says a 55 year old grandmother of one).  I am personally not wild about Windows Vista.....being asked if I am sure that I want to do thing every single time makes me a bit crazy.

If you want a NEW computer with Windows 7, buy now.  If you don't mind a used computer with Windows 7 - there's always eBay.

I'm sitting at one of two "matching" eBay laptops, both running Windows 7 right now (two story house and a fear of not having a working computer when it comes to running my embroidery machine - which will not be getting updated to run on Windows 8, according to the manufacturer). 

I've heard from several people that Linux is easier - but my embroidery machine won't run on Mac or Linux, either. 

Once I get a newer embroidery machine (gotta talk to VorGuy, my accountant of Scotts descent about when that might happen, before or after Phoenix, Arizona and Death Valley freeze over, I hope) - I'll think about upgrading to a more current operating system.

In the meantime - Windows 7 is advanced enough......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7456 on: March 08, 2013, 09:34:23 PM »
If you can use Windows XP, then Windows 7 will be easy (says a 55 year old grandmother of one).  ...

...   If you want a NEW computer with Windows 7, buy now.  If you don't mind a used computer with Windows 7 - there's always eBay.

I only have a PC.  What I have been thinking of doing would be get myself a laptop with Windows 7 (if I can still get one) and hope my PC lasts until something more appropriate for my needs than Windows 8 becomes available as a PC.  That would give me time to 'adjust' to a newer if not newest system and would also tide me over for awhile if the PC does actually eventually just give out so I wouldn't be entirely computerless in the interim. 

What do you think of that idea?

andi

« Reply #7457 on: March 08, 2013, 09:50:41 PM »
I hate Vista - I'd love to trow that laptop out the window and get 8. (hubby is no longer allowed to make computer purchase decisions alone)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7458 on: March 08, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »
Ready for a brain hurt re: computers?

I currently have an I-Phone, a Snow Leopard Mac, a Kindle, and a Windows 8 PC.  I refuse to get an I-Pad, though; why would I need one?  I use Windows XP at work, btw.  Talk about versatility...

I can't really tell you which one I prefer, but as far as knowing how to do the most on one versus the other, Windows XP is the most familiar.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7459 on: March 08, 2013, 10:20:35 PM »
Ready for a brain hurt re: computers?

I currently have an I-Phone, a Snow Leopard Mac, a Kindle, and a Windows 8 PC.  I refuse to get an I-Pad, though; why would I need one?  I use Windows XP at work, btw.  Talk about versatility...

I can't really tell you which one I prefer, but as far as knowing how to do the most on one versus the other, Windows XP is the most familiar.

My boyfriend is always complaining about how I hurt his brain: I have an iPad and use OSX (Snow Leopard at home, Mountain Lion at work), but I refuse to get an iPhone in favor of my Android. I love my iPad and iOS as a tablet interface, but it just doesn’t work for me as a phone interface.

I really dislike Windows in general, but I do have Vista installed as a dual boot for embroidery stuff. I greatly prefer XP, but it’s no longer supported for what I need to do on it. I’ve fooled around with 8 a bit at work, though, and I actually like it pretty well… not more than OSX though.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7460 on: March 08, 2013, 10:30:18 PM »
I'm really embarrassed to ask this, but what's OSX?  I've never heard of it.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7461 on: March 08, 2013, 10:35:30 PM »
It's the operating system used by Apple computers. They give "cat" names to different versions: Panther, Cheetah, Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard, etc.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7462 on: March 08, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »
It's the operating system used by Apple computers. They give "cat" names to different versions: Panther, Cheetah, Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard, etc.

Oh.

Okay, thanks!  And thanks for not making me feel totally stupid for asking.    :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7463 on: March 08, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »

Ah, like Android uses dessert names for their OS like jellybean, ice cream sandwich, etc.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7464 on: March 08, 2013, 11:07:14 PM »

Also, OS stands for Operating System...so a Windows OS may be Windows XP or Windows 8 while a Mac OS may be Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7465 on: March 08, 2013, 11:28:38 PM »
I was an early adopter of Windows Vista and I liked it, then early adopted to Windows 7. I strongly dislike Windows 8, and that many of the new machines built to run it no longer have a start button on the keyboard.  ???

I have 7 at work and on all 5 home computers, an Android tablet running Ice Cream Sandwich, an Android phone running Ice Cream Sandwich, and an iPad running the latest in Mac mobile software. I am dreading the day someone will want me to help them with Windows 8.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7466 on: March 08, 2013, 11:54:45 PM »
I think I will make all of your brains hurt.

We went from Windows XP to Windows Vista with no problem once all of the upgrades worked out the glitches.

My laptop is Windows 7 and my iPad first edition and I get  along very nicely, thank you. Microsoft and Apple can play nicely in my little brain.

I have more trouble going from Explorer 7 to Explorer 8, but now I have that figured out, even without a manual! I'm wary of upgrading the desktop that Lucas uses to Explorer 8 because I just don't want to deal with it.

Now you guys are making me leary of Windows 8, you meanies, you!

On the other hand, I am afraid to upgrade my iPhone for fear that I can't handle it. Sigh.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #7467 on: March 09, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »

Ah, like Android uses dessert names for their OS like jellybean, ice cream sandwich, etc.

It hurt my brain a bit when I saw the iPhone covers that look like food--that are available only for iPhones--and one looked like an ice cream sandwich  :D
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Pen^2

« Reply #7468 on: March 09, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »
I had a brain straining conversation today.

Have you even had one of those conversations where, for most of it, you are struggling to keep up and can't quite follow what the other person says, and you assume it's because they're smarter than you? And then they say something and you realise that it's the opposite: you were having trouble because they're not smart at all, and they're making all sorts of nonsense statements, which is why it's hard to understand--just for a different reason!

I saw a comic somewhere once that said the word for this moment should be 'dumbpifany' or something like that. I like that word.

I was in a fossil shop (ohhh how I love fossils) and went to buy a trilobite from an order I had no samples of yet; a shipment had come in recently and I was hoping they'd have a few of the type I wanted. The lady at the counter was very nice and, because it's a small shop where the staff and customers are generally very friendly with each other, we started up a bit of a conversation. I had nowhere to be urgently, after all. But quickly I realised that I could hardly keep up with what she was saying. I was reduced to "mmm" and "ah" and "oh really?" as she said all sorts of profound-sounding things which seemed just beyond me. It was getting frustrating and distressing. At one point early on she had mentioned that she was a cancarian, and I had stupidly assumed that it was like a piscarian (a person who limits their meat consumption to fish only) except she ate crustaceans ('cancer' meaning crab in Latin, just as 'piscis' means fish). After five minutes, it clicked for me: she meant that she was of the star sign cancer, and all her gibberish was cliched new age stuff mixed with misinterpreted quantum theory. My brain was hurting so badly until I realised what was going on...

Jocelyn

« Reply #7469 on: March 09, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »
I really felt for this lady, but after explaining 50 times and apologizing 100 more times that there was NOTHING I could do to help her, I was sort of feeling less sympathetic by the moment.
You might want to refer her to BookBub and Pixel of Ink. They are the reason that I now have over 1200 books on my Kindle, and no hope of ever reading them all. ::) But they're freeeeeeeee. And I enjoy the option of trying a book and if I can't get into it, just deleting it and moving on. Every so often I pick up a bunch of 99 cent books.
Anyone who is going to Europe can surely spend $10 to get some bargain Kindle books to take with them.
Anything that costs, I add to my wish list, print it off, and go to the library. ;)