Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1012132 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7515 on: March 11, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
My dad used to say "rump steak is a posh way of saying bum meat".

Reminds me of this entry from NotAlwaysRight  ;D

Jones

« Reply #7516 on: March 11, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
I grew up with a hunting father, in a farming community, and can't remember a time I didn't know where meat came from.

My brain breaker is from a distinct memory  age 5 or 6, when I found out the Muppets were puppets, not real, um, people. Oh tragedy! I have no clue why I thought they were real people, but I did until that day.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7517 on: March 11, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
I broke my own brain a few days ago. I can get pretty kooky - putting peanut butter in the fridge when it's not the kind that needs it, almost putting a whole thing of mayonnaise in the trashcan, etc.

However, I've never been absentminded enough that I got a dinner plate to put my ice cream on. Yes, a dinner plate. I only realized my error when I put the scoop in the ice cream and looked over to the dish I'd gotten on which to put my ice cream. After I'd gotten a bowl and put the plate back, I laughed like a loon for a minute straight.
The most brain hurty part for me is why you did not continue with eating from the plate that you got out. It doesn't really matter for the ice cream eqating experience, and it only makes for slightly more dishes. Getting a bowl is more trouble then the extra dishes are.

I got the plate down, realized I got a plate instead of a bowl, and got a bowl before I even scooped out the ice cream. The plate and the ice cream never met. I just switched dishes before I plated (bowled?  :P) the ice cream.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7518 on: March 11, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
About where meat comes from...

Niece was about 5YO and we were vacationing at a family farm.  They men went to the barn to dispatch the bull (mean thing, it charged someone one too many times).  Us "weak wymyn folks" were told to stay at home and watch the kiddies.  Niece escaped and went to the barn.  She came back scandalized that they were removing the bull's "carpet".

That's what happens when they don't match the drapes, people.

Shalamar

« Reply #7519 on: March 11, 2013, 04:50:35 PM »
My brain breaker is from a distinct memory  age 5 or 6, when I found out the Muppets were puppets, not real, um, people.

I've known for decades that the Muppets were puppets, and yet, every time we play our "Christmas on Sesame Street" CD, I envision all of the Muppets in a sound studio - as opposed to the actors.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7520 on: March 11, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »
About where meat comes from...

Niece was about 5YO and we were vacationing at a family farm.  They men went to the barn to dispatch the bull (mean thing, it charged someone one too many times).  Us "weak wymyn folks" were told to stay at home and watch the kiddies.  Niece escaped and went to the barn.  She came back scandalized that they were removing the bull's "carpet".

That's what happens when they don't match the drapes, people.

I believe you win the internet for the day

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7521 on: March 11, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
I'm working on having one of those nice bucolic farms. At least in part because a lot of people will pay more for meat knowing the animal was well treated.

What makes me giggle is the different ways people name alternate sources of meat so people will eat it. Many people won't touch goat meat, but if it's labelled chevon they will.

And those marsh rabbits people eat, are really just muskrat. It's all in the name.

Fortunately, because of this there is a niche for people who are willing to raise healthier and alternative animals for meat. Thus, we'll have rabbits, fish, and goats as some of our major meats.

Me too, except we really have marsh rabbits here. We want to farm freshwater shrimp.

Dr. F.

« Reply #7522 on: March 11, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »
My brain breaker is from a distinct memory  age 5 or 6, when I found out the Muppets were puppets, not real, um, people.

I've known for decades that the Muppets were puppets, and yet, every time we play our "Christmas on Sesame Street" CD, I envision all of the Muppets in a sound studio - as opposed to the actors.

I remember an interview with someone (I forget who) who was a guest star on the old Muppet Show. He said it was amazing the way he just blanked out that there were people below him and above him working the muppets and being their voices - he said he just interacted with the muppets as if they were people, and got something of a shock every time the scene ended. I guess it was particularly rough after a love scene with Miss Piggy  ;).

BarensMom

« Reply #7523 on: March 11, 2013, 06:39:50 PM »
I haven't been keen on beef ever since I drove down I-5 and saw the Harris Ranch on the side of the freeway.

My mother grew up on a farm and saw her share of butchering animals.  Mom told me that she was so traumatized by her pet pig, chicken, calif, and/or lamb being slaughtered, that she never could eat any meat that resembled part of the animal.  She would only serve ground or canned meats on her table.  I didn't have a full roasted turkey until DH and I moved into our own house.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7524 on: March 11, 2013, 06:41:44 PM »
I haven't been keen on beef ever since I drove down I-5 and saw the Harris Ranch on the side of the freeway.

My mother grew up on a farm and saw her share of butchering animals.  Mom told me that she was so traumatized by her pet pig, chicken, calif, and/or lamb being slaughtered, that she never could eat any meat that resembled part of the animal.  She would only serve ground or canned meats on her table.  I didn't have a full roasted turkey until DH and I moved into our own house.

Some people just aren't suited to farm life...

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7525 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »

I remember an interview with someone (I forget who) who was a guest star on the old Muppet Show. He said it was amazing the way he just blanked out that there were people below him and above him working the muppets and being their voices - he said he just interacted with the muppets as if they were people, and got something of a shock every time the scene ended. I guess it was particularly rough after a love scene with Miss Piggy  ;).

I can't find the source, so I'll call this story apocryphal, that when Kermit was a guest star on some show, the sound folks tried to mike HIM, not Jim Henson.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7526 on: March 11, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »
I grew up with a hunting father, in a farming community, and can't remember a time I didn't know where meat came from.

My brain breaker is from a distinct memory  age 5 or 6, when I found out the Muppets were puppets, not real, um, people. Oh tragedy! I have no clue why I thought they were real people, but I did until that day.

Don't be ridiculous. Muppets are real, I saw the movie!

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #7527 on: March 11, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »

Don't be ridiculous. Muppets are real, I saw the movie!

Many, many years ago, I met Kermit the Frog and Jim Henson.  I had a brief conversation with the two of them, and shook Kermit's hand.  Being around the two of them convinced me that Kermit was his own person (frog?) and more than just a puppet.

Dr. F.

« Reply #7528 on: March 11, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »

I can't find the source, so I'll call this story apocryphal, that when Kermit was a guest star on some show, the sound folks tried to mike HIM, not Jim Henson.

Following up on my own post:

It was *Morley Safer* when he did an interview for 60 Minutes! There was a bit where he was chatting with Miss Piggy, and she was flirting, and he said something like, "I bet most of you viewers would be willing to swear that Miss Piggy just batted her eyelashes at me. She can't - the eyes are fixed. But it's still a shock when Frank Oz says something to you in his own voice right after the camera stops." (NOTE: Total paraphrase - that's how I remember it.)

I also remember him saying that he'd interviewed most of the world leader politicians and businessmen, and I've only met two people who I think could run the world. One was Barbara Woodhouse. The other is Miss Piggy.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7529 on: March 11, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »

When Jim Hensen was still alive, I do remember Johnny Carson and Martha Stewart both saying they had trouble not remembering that Kermit and Elmo were just hands. They kept up the conversation during the breaks and thought of it later.