Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1072714 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7530 on: March 11, 2013, 07:34:31 PM »
I grew up with a hunting father, in a farming community, and can't remember a time I didn't know where meat came from.

My brain breaker is from a distinct memory  age 5 or 6, when I found out the Muppets were puppets, not real, um, people. Oh tragedy! I have no clue why I thought they were real people, but I did until that day.

Don't be ridiculous. Muppets are real, I saw the movie!

Exactly. They're not people, but they're still real!

Minmom3

« Reply #7531 on: March 11, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »
I broke my own brain a few days ago. I can get pretty kooky - putting peanut butter in the fridge when it's not the kind that needs it, almost putting a whole thing of mayonnaise in the trashcan, etc.

However, I've never been absentminded enough that I got a dinner plate to put my ice cream on. Yes, a dinner plate. I only realized my error when I put the scoop in the ice cream and looked over to the dish I'd gotten on which to put my ice cream. After I'd gotten a bowl and put the plate back, I laughed like a loon for a minute straight.

I do that sometimes. I go about my business and have a sudden moment of clarity--WHY am I attempting to place the Cheerios in the freezer?

I have walked away from the fridge very confused....  I went back, still mystified, and found the carton of milk carefully put into the trash, and the full glass of milk in the fridge on the shelf...  The REALLY bad thing is it took me several minutes to a) figure out WHY I was confused AND empty handed, and b) track down the relevant portions of what I'd had and what I'd wanted!  High school was a tough time, I guess.   ;)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Minmom3

« Reply #7532 on: March 11, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »
I haven't been keen on beef ever since I drove down I-5 and saw the Harris Ranch on the side of the freeway.

My mother grew up on a farm and saw her share of butchering animals.  Mom told me that she was so traumatized by her pet pig, chicken, calif, and/or lamb being slaughtered, that she never could eat any meat that resembled part of the animal.  She would only serve ground or canned meats on her table.  I didn't have a full roasted turkey until DH and I moved into our own house.

Harris Ranch didn't put me off beef, because I didn't TRULY connect the beef on my plate with The Stinking Cows....  My kids did, and didn't care.  But, Holy Moly, we all wanted really effective nose clips so we wouldn't have to SMELL it anymore.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

BB-VA

« Reply #7533 on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »
I grew up with a hunting father, in a farming community, and can't remember a time I didn't know where meat came from.

My brain breaker is from a distinct memory  age 5 or 6, when I found out the Muppets were puppets, not real, um, people. Oh tragedy! I have no clue why I thought they were real people, but I did until that day.

Many, many years ago, I met Kermit the Frog and Jim Henson.  I had a brief conversation with the two of them, and shook Kermit's hand.  Being around the two of them convinced me that Kermit was his own person (frog?) and more than just a puppet.
\

The sculptor who created the statue for the Henson Memorial Garden at the University of MD thought so too...

Jay Hall Carpenter later said of his design, "I think everyone else sort of had them in the traditional pose of Kermit sitting on Jim's shoulders. My idea was a little different. Jim always presented Kermit as a separate entity so I wanted to do that as well.  The way I see it, they're talking about their next big project, and, so they're in this animated discussion, and in the middle of it, Kermit reaches over and touches Jim, as a little gesture of solidarity."

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Jim_Henson_Statue

This page has some nice details:

http://www.oddthingsiveseen.com/2010/01/jim-henson-memorial.html

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7534 on: March 11, 2013, 09:20:56 PM »
I didn't know Jim Henson attended College Park! :) I didn't attend there myself, but my brother did for about a year.  I never did see it though, guess I was never at the right part of the campus!  (he attended in 2005)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #7535 on: March 11, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »
What a great statue! 

... Man, I miss Henson.

Library Dragon

« Reply #7536 on: March 11, 2013, 10:37:07 PM »
Forgive me if I've vented before....it happened again today.

A patron came and complained that our Internet was broken. I checked and the research desk computer was working.  Let's see what's wrong. The gentleman walked over and clicked on the IE icon. The library's homepage came up.  "See it just goes to the library." He closed the browser and repeated the action.  'Yes sir, that's the library's webpage.  Where are you trying to go? Okay, put the Victorias Secret address in the address bar.'

On meat farms....

DS1 when he was 3-6 years old would puzzle people.  We lived in Italy and he loved to watch butchers or fishmongers prepare meat.  We were wandering the streets in one town and he stood and watched as the butcher prepped a whole sheep.  The butcher kept telling us that nothing exciting was going to happen.  It didn't matter, our son was fascinated by thechnicality of it. 

He's now a line cook in a fine dining restaurant.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #7537 on: March 11, 2013, 11:18:27 PM »
I didn't know Jim Henson attended College Park! :) I didn't attend there myself, but my brother did for about a year.  I never did see it though, guess I was never at the right part of the campus!  (he attended in 2005)

I knew he attended, because there were references to him all over, but I'm pretty sure I never saw the statue!  I can only offer, in justification, that the school was renovating the student union most of the time I was there and much of it was out of service, we used a different entrance, etc.  In fact, half the campus was constantly under what to us students seemed like unnecessary and constant renovation that wouldn't be done until we left and so seemed pointless and just raised our tuition ridiculously.  The statue does look really fun, though.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7538 on: March 11, 2013, 11:37:14 PM »
Hello UMCP alums!!! The founder of Under Armour is also a UMCP grad and played on the football team :)

/threadjack

BarensMom

« Reply #7539 on: March 12, 2013, 12:50:25 AM »

Many, many years ago, I met Kermit the Frog and Jim Henson.  I had a brief conversation with the two of them, and shook Kermit's hand.  Being around the two of them convinced me that Kermit was his own person (frog?) and more than just a puppet.
\

The sculptor who created the statue for the Henson Memorial Garden at the University of MD thought so too...

Jay Hall Carpenter later said of his design, "I think everyone else sort of had them in the traditional pose of Kermit sitting on Jim's shoulders. My idea was a little different. Jim always presented Kermit as a separate entity so I wanted to do that as well.  The way I see it, they're talking about their next big project, and, so they're in this animated discussion, and in the middle of it, Kermit reaches over and touches Jim, as a little gesture of solidarity."

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Jim_Henson_Statue

This page has some nice details:

http://www.oddthingsiveseen.com/2010/01/jim-henson-memorial.html

I'll bet Miss Piggy was highly offended at being left out.

Iris

« Reply #7540 on: March 12, 2013, 02:30:10 AM »
I'm working on having one of those nice bucolic farms. At least in part because a lot of people will pay more for meat knowing the animal was well treated.

What makes me giggle is the different ways people name alternate sources of meat so people will eat it. Many people won't touch goat meat, but if it's labelled chevon they will.

And those marsh rabbits people eat, are really just muskrat. It's all in the name.

Fortunately, because of this there is a niche for people who are willing to raise healthier and alternative animals for meat. Thus, we'll have rabbits, fish, and goats as some of our major meats.

I'm one of those people. I figure if I'm going to eat something, the least I can do is make sure it is treated well when it is alive and killed humanely. I'm aware that that's a weird argument, but it works for me.

I find though that people can take personal offense when I say that. Not sure why, since I'm not reflecting on them at all, simply assuaging my city-girl guilt. When people ask me why I buy certified free range meat I've learnt to reply that "Happy meat is yummy meat". If I phrase it that way it seems more acceptable to people. Go figure.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7541 on: March 12, 2013, 03:00:16 AM »
I'm working on having one of those nice bucolic farms. At least in part because a lot of people will pay more for meat knowing the animal was well treated.

What makes me giggle is the different ways people name alternate sources of meat so people will eat it. Many people won't touch goat meat, but if it's labelled chevon they will.

And those marsh rabbits people eat, are really just muskrat. It's all in the name.

Fortunately, because of this there is a niche for people who are willing to raise healthier and alternative animals for meat. Thus, we'll have rabbits, fish, and goats as some of our major meats.

I'm one of those people. I figure if I'm going to eat something, the least I can do is make sure it is treated well when it is alive and killed humanely. I'm aware that that's a weird argument, but it works for me.

I find though that people can take personal offense when I say that. Not sure why, since I'm not reflecting on them at all, simply assuaging my city-girl guilt. When people ask me why I buy certified free range meat I've learnt to reply that "Happy meat is yummy meat". If I phrase it that way it seems more acceptable to people. Go figure.

If I ever actually hit the lottery, that's how I'll get all my meat, from steaks to burgers.  Sadly, I've got to go with lowst-common denominator meat.  I think it's cows that were part of a bizarre murder-suicide pact.

Shalamar

« Reply #7542 on: March 12, 2013, 07:09:03 AM »
I get that!   I only buy eggs from a local farm where the chickens are free-run and fed a vegetarian diet.    They cost about twice as much, but I can afford it.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #7543 on: March 12, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »
I ordered a new iPod and went to fill in the delivery information. All my mail is sent to my PO Box (we don't have the option of home mail delivery in my town) and for bigger-ticket stuff like that, I kind of like the security. Unfortunately FedEx would not let me enter a PO Box, so I had to enter my home address. Sigh, fine.

The day it was supposed to be delivered, they didn't even try to bring it to my house. They just left it--guess where--at the post office. What the...argh.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Hillia

« Reply #7544 on: March 12, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »
When my mom was growing up on a farm during WWII, they named the pigs which were destined to become pork chops Hitler and Mussolini, so no one would get too attached to them.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools