Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1088478 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7545 on: March 12, 2013, 09:00:41 AM »
When my mom was growing up on a farm during WWII, they named the pigs which were destined to become pork chops Hitler and Mussolini, so no one would get too attached to them.

OK, that's funny!  Or I just have a twisted sense of humour...

My maternal grandfather was a butcher, amoung other things.  Mom talked about the only part of the pig they didn't use was the squeal!  When I was a kid, my parents used to buy a side of beef from a local farmer.  Dad butchered it himself on the kitchen table (with lots of plastic sheeting both on the table and the floor).
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Betelnut

« Reply #7546 on: March 12, 2013, 09:25:48 AM »
For the working Moms AND librarians out there:

I was sitting at the indoor pool watching my daughter take a swimming lesson.  Another mother, whose daughter was in the same class, struck up a conversation. The girls are both 6, close to 7 years-old.  At one point I mention I work at the regional library.  Later in the conversation, we are talking about spring break and our plans.  I said that I had to work so my daughter would be at daycare all day for those days.

The lady:  Why can't you take her to work and let her be at the library?
Me:  ...  uh...Well, she's kind of young to be by herself for 8 hours...?

Thunk <head on desk>  Yes, librarians don't work? Libraries are daycare centers?  What the...?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Kariachi

« Reply #7547 on: March 12, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
For the working Moms AND librarians out there:

I was sitting at the indoor pool watching my daughter take a swimming lesson.  Another mother, whose daughter was in the same class, struck up a conversation. The girls are both 6, close to 7 years-old.  At one point I mention I work at the regional library.  Later in the conversation, we are talking about spring break and our plans.  I said that I had to work so my daughter would be at daycare all day for those days.

Thunk <head on desk>  Yes, librarians don't work? Libraries are daycare centers?  What the...?

Sorta depends on the kid. At that age, in a library, I wouldn't have left whatever table I found myself at for the full 8 hours and would have had to be dragged away. If the other lady's daughter is like that it's understandable why she would not get why its a bad idea for you.*

On the subject of where meat comes from, I always knew and never really cared. Okay, so maybe I cared a little but I love bacon more than I love piglets so they lose out. Actually, my parents are planning on raising geese this year(if we like them, yay, if we don't, dinner) which should be interesting. My only worry is that I'm expected to play Mama Goose. This has the potential to end badly.  :-\

*For the short period my sister and I were homeschooled my mom worked part-time at the Air Force Academy library, so she'd take us in for her shift and we'd help her and the other librarians out. Surprised the librarians when we went back to school and kept wandering around fixing the places where other students had messed up the shelves...
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7548 on: March 12, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »
At 8 I would have to be dragged from the library too. Especially if they had a comfy place to sit and read for that long. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #7549 on: March 12, 2013, 10:15:37 AM »
When my mom was growing up on a farm during WWII, they named the pigs which were destined to become pork chops Hitler and Mussolini, so no one would get too attached to them.

My maternal grandfather was a butcher, amoung other things.  Mom talked about the only part of the pig they didn't use was the squeal!  When I was a kid, my parents used to buy a side of beef from a local farmer.  Dad butchered it himself on the kitchen table (with lots of plastic sheeting both on the table and the floor).

My FIL butchers his own meat. Unfortunately he doesn't follow, uh, standard diagrams of meat cuts. He ends up with ground meat and "roasts." I've been given roasts that have odd-shaped bones in the middle (I swear one time he gave us a pelvis he'd cut in thirds. That "roast" was 2/3 bone.) He thinks I'm weird for not wanting his mystery meat.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #7550 on: March 12, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »
At 8 I would have to be dragged from the library too. Especially if they had a comfy place to sit and read for that long.

Well, my 6-year-old would probably be happy to sit and read for *most* of that time... but I can imagine that she'd want to take some breaks to go run around outside, eat lunch, etc.  Also, at least with many 6-year-olds... the challenge would be to not *talk* for that long.  A few hours, sure, but usually she likes to come running up to me and say, "Oh, no!  Patrick and Beth have been made slaves!  I don't think they're ever going to escape Egypt!  Agh!" and give a little squeal, then run back to her book.

audhs

« Reply #7551 on: March 12, 2013, 11:17:31 AM »

My oldest is 8 and will read for hours but I could never guarantee what day she would sit quietly and what day she's be restless and in the way.

I worked at my local public library before I had kids and during a teachers strike they asked all of us to take a shift of two in the branches shelving books to help out because of the number of working parent who seemed to think that the library was a free babysittingservice

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7552 on: March 12, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »

My FIL butchers his own meat. Unfortunately he doesn't follow, uh, standard diagrams of meat cuts. He ends up with ground meat and "roasts." I've been given roasts that have odd-shaped bones in the middle (I swear one time he gave us a pelvis he'd cut in thirds. That "roast" was 2/3 bone.) He thinks I'm weird for not wanting his mystery meat.

Oh, ick.  My Dad worked in a butcher shop and has the diagrams so his cuts were all pretty good.  In fact, the couple of times my brother has shot moose, my Dad did most of the butchering for him.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Shalamar

« Reply #7553 on: March 12, 2013, 11:20:17 AM »
A long time ago when my first daughter was just over a year old, my husband wanted to paint our spare bedroom.  I arranged to take our little girl out for the day so that he'd be able to work in peace.   When my friend heard that, she said "You didn't stay to help him?"  "No, because then Daughter wouldn't have any supervision."  "Well, you could have let her help, too!  Kids love to paint!"

Yes, except that Daughter was at that stage when everything went into her mouth.  I really didn't want her eating paint.

The real brain-hurty part of that story was that my friend had a little boy of her own who was only a few months older than my daughter.  Maybe he didn't go through the "everything goes into the mouth" stage, but he'd be the first, as far as I know.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7554 on: March 12, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »

My friends had Oscar, Myer, and Weiner. Worked perfectly.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #7555 on: March 12, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »

Oh, ick.  My Dad worked in a butcher shop and has the diagrams so his cuts were all pretty good.  In fact, the couple of times my brother has shot moose, my Dad did most of the butchering for him.

Yeah, I feel badly for wasting it (we tell him over and over we don't want meat but he gives it to us anyway) but I just...don't know what the heck to do with a random sack of deer meat. Yes, I could just crock pot it, but I really like knowing exactly what I'm cooking before I cook it! He just keeps bringing over unlabeled ziploc bags full of hunks of venison (which is completely unappealing in itself.) :X
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #7556 on: March 12, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »

I grew up on a sort of farm (my parents had non-farm jobs but we had chickens, rabbits, horses, geese etc.)

We just never named the animals that were going to be dinner one day.   :-\ 

Funny story about kids and where food comes from:  When my kids were smaller, my oldest worked out that she was eating chicken but it wasn't real chicken because it didn't have feathers.

They've since been educated.   ;D

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7557 on: March 12, 2013, 12:41:33 PM »
Since farming has turned into a real discussion, perhaps it can have it's own thread.  :)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #7558 on: March 12, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
Yesterday my internet connection decided to slow down to dial-up speeds, making it near impossible for me to work from home. I called Large Phone and Internet Service Provider to report the problem.

The first-level technical support person was quite frustrating. At one point she asked what my signal strength was. Having no clue, I asked how I would go about finding that out. She replied, "Oh, it's on the main screen of the internet connection application." After much searching I failed to find it and asked for clarification. Turns out that you have to click Menu, then Support, then Settings, then Diagnostics to get to the page that shows signal strength. And it's not listed as "signal strength," either: it's called LSRX MME. But I was apparently just supposed to know all of that.

She then informed me that similar problems to mine were being reported in central Texas and since I lived so close to there perhaps I was experiencing the same thing. I live in southern Arizona...

Eventually I was transferred to second-level support. That lady also mentioned the problems in Texas and suggested that I might be affected "since I'm so close." I advised her that I live in Arizona and she replied, "Yeah, but it's just the next state over."  ???

And no, the problem has not been resolved.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

PeterM

« Reply #7559 on: March 12, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »

My friend's father is the source of a few brain-hurting anecdotes. They raised goats, and he carefully labeled all the packages of meat in the freezer with the names of the dearly departed. So one night they might have Millie for dinner, and the next night it might be Bob.