Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1044541 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7575 on: March 12, 2013, 07:22:26 PM »
Texas is 268,580 square miles. There is a reason we measure distance in time.

You could fit DC and the smallest 13 states in Texas and still have about 34,434 square miles left over. If Texas was a independent country today it would be about the rank around 76 largest.

My boss at the museum came from back east. One day he decided to drive and see Eden, Texas a small town outside of San Angelo. He thought it would take 10 - 15 min - and ended up thinking he had driven into the Twilight Zone with the same scenery going on a loop for ever - and Eden is only 45 min away.

Another time we were all going to an see a museum in Amarillo for a meeting. Every native born Texan showed up with a cooler of drinks for the van - just in case. He got that it was a 4 hour drive there and 4 hours back - but not just how lonely US 84 was going to be. Especially if something happened between towns. Given the timing deer were a big hazard both ways.
Something I read, maybe in Michener's Texas, how to demonstrate the size of the US to people of other countries.  Take a globe and something like a compass or measuring tape or even a strip of paper.  Use your chosen tool to measure from X to Y in the US, like Texas from east to west or north to south.  Now take that measurement and put one end on the capital of your country.  Swing the other end around in a circle, and see how far that takes you.  Texas east to west is about the same distance as London to Prague.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

figee

« Reply #7576 on: March 12, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »
About the distance thing, it's the same here.  We regularly have tourists in Sydney who inform us that they're planning to go to Ayers Rock and Kakadu for the day tomorrow.  Uh.  No.  You're not.  And we also measure distance in time, which caused us to hurt a cousin of DH's brain a few years ago.

He is English and had visited Australia and was familiar with the '9 hours to Melbourne from Sydney' style of measurement.  We were staying in Edinburgh and planned to drive down to York to visit him and his family for the weekend.  He asked when we would arrive.  We had to go for lunch in the Borders with another family member so we did the Australian maths.  1.5 hours Edinburgh to lunch.  1.5 hours for lunch.  2 hours from lunch to York.  Add 30 minutes for traffic and getting lost.  If we leave at 10.30, we'll get to York by 4.  Cousin told us that it didn't work that way here.  He was right.  We were 15 minutes late because he hadn't given us his house number in the small village he lived in, but instead had told us to look for the 'house with the dig tree in front of it'.  (which hurt our brains).  Who knew so many houses had big trees in the front?   ::) :P

Barney girl

« Reply #7577 on: March 12, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »
I'm not surprised he said that. What speed were you doing to get from the Borders to York in two hours? I'd reckon that from my home town, going south to York and the same going north to the border. Even knocking off a bit of time to allow for getting to the A1 that seems incredibly fast.

figee

« Reply #7578 on: March 12, 2013, 08:40:30 PM »
We were on the backroads most of the way, and lunch was quite a long way sound in the Borders, so we weren't travelling as fast as it sounds.  Had we driven straight through on main roads, it should have taken us about 4 hours, so 6 hours including lunch was reasonable.

Browyn

« Reply #7579 on: March 12, 2013, 10:14:08 PM »
When my mom was growing up on a farm during WWII, they named the pigs which were destined to become pork chops Hitler and Mussolini, so no one would get too attached to them.

Many years ago, My Uncle bought a pair of pigs to raise for meat.  He named them after his wife and her sister (my Mom) because "all they do is chatter all day".

Mom and Aunt were not pleased with his sense of humour.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #7580 on: March 13, 2013, 03:23:29 AM »
Yesterday my internet connection decided to slow down to dial-up speeds, making it near impossible for me to work from home. I called Large Phone and Internet Service Provider to report the problem.

The first-level technical support person was quite frustrating. At one point she asked what my signal strength was. Having no clue, I asked how I would go about finding that out. She replied, "Oh, it's on the main screen of the internet connection application." After much searching I failed to find it and asked for clarification. Turns out that you have to click Menu, then Support, then Settings, then Diagnostics to get to the page that shows signal strength. And it's not listed as "signal strength," either: it's called LSRX MME. But I was apparently just supposed to know all of that.

She then informed me that similar problems to mine were being reported in central Texas and since I lived so close to there perhaps I was experiencing the same thing. I live in southern Arizona...

Eventually I was transferred to second-level support. That lady also mentioned the problems in Texas and suggested that I might be affected "since I'm so close." I advised her that I live in Arizona and she replied, "Yeah, but it's just the next state over."  ???

And no, the problem has not been resolved.

The New Mexico Magazine has a regular column - One of our 50 is missing (http://www.nmmagazine.com/one-of-our-50-is-missing/ )You might like to suggest your internet provider becomes a subscriber.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

cabbageweevil

« Reply #7581 on: March 13, 2013, 05:17:54 AM »
...She then informed me that similar problems to mine were being reported in central Texas and since I lived so close to there perhaps I was experiencing the same thing. I live in southern Arizona...

Eventually I was transferred to second-level support. That lady also mentioned the problems in Texas and suggested that I might be affected "since I'm so close." I advised her that I live in Arizona and she replied, "Yeah, but it's just the next state over."  ???

The New Mexico Magazine has a regular column - One of our 50 is missing (http://www.nmmagazine.com/one-of-our-50-is-missing/ )You might like to suggest your internet provider becomes a subscriber.

In recent years, I have come across quite a number of accounts from people in the US, of dealings with compatriots who basically had not heard of the state of New Mexico, and thought that Mexico the country was being referred to. (Am not meaning to mock America and Americans, in this -- plenty of people here in the UK are highly "geographically challenged".)  I can't help feeling that when the United States acquired this area, a more convenient name for the state might have been hit on, than "New Mexico". In the light of how easily confused, and not very clued-up, people can be; the choice of name, was perhaps inviting this problem.

With bansidhe's "just the next state over" lady: in Harry Turtledove's "How Few Remain" alternative-history series, that applies, but "the other way round", as it were. In this series of novels, the history of North America works out somewhat differently from "our time line" (and often, rather nastily). In the series, there are not quite as many western states, as in "our time line": there's no Arizona -- what is Arizona and New Mexico in "our time line", is all just New Mexico.  Perhaps, by reason of this, in the novels' "universe" New Mexico turns up "missing", less than it does with us...

Redsoil

« Reply #7582 on: March 13, 2013, 06:30:27 AM »
How peculiar.  I just checked to to get an idea of just "how big" Texas is, and it's smaller than NSW!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

bloo

« Reply #7583 on: March 13, 2013, 07:39:39 AM »
...She then informed me that similar problems to mine were being reported in central Texas and since I lived so close to there perhaps I was experiencing the same thing. I live in southern Arizona...

In recent years, I have come across quite a number of accounts from people in the US, of dealings with compatriots who basically had not heard of the state of New Mexico, and thought that Mexico the country was being referred to. (Am not meaning to mock America and Americans, in this -- plenty of people here in the UK are highly "geographically challenged".)  I can't help feeling that when the United States acquired this area, a more convenient name for the state might have been hit on, than "New Mexico". In the light of how easily confused, and not very clued-up, people can be; the choice of name, was perhaps inviting this problem.
With bansidhe's "just the next state over" lady: in Harry Turtledove's "How Few Remain" alternative-history series, that applies, but "the other way round", as it were. In this series of novels, the history of North America works out somewhat differently from "our time line" (and often, rather nastily). In the series, there are not quite as many western states, as in "our time line": there's no Arizona -- what is Arizona and New Mexico in "our time line", is all just New Mexico.  Perhaps, by reason of this, in the novels' "universe" New Mexico turns up "missing", less than it does with us...

No kidding.

I was startled by reading account after account on notalwaysright.com of Americans that are clueless that New Mexico is not another country. I always thought that my geography skill were poor because I didn't know all the US territories but I do know all the states!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7584 on: March 13, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »
How peculiar.  I just checked to to get an idea of just "how big" Texas is, and it's smaller than NSW!

Yep, Australian's are not impressed with the size of Texas since Australia divides their continent/country up into 6 states. Where as Texas is just one of 50 US states.

The size of Western Australia was staggering. It's about a third of the entire continental US.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7585 on: March 13, 2013, 09:42:29 AM »
Yep.  And as with the historically-challenged lumping all history as "The Olden Days" here we see the geographically challenged lumping all the world as "Not Here."  Or perhaps "No Place I Have Ever Been."  I was in Oregon visiting my sister, went to buy some wine, and the cashier noted from my ID that I lived in Maryland.  "Is that near Missouri?"  Only alphabetically, dearie. 

ETA: The US would have far fewer states if the East Coast was divided into sensible chunks instead of teeny-tiny little states the size of western counties.  All of New England ought to be one state.  Delaware should be part of Maryland. New Jersey should be part of New York.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:47:22 AM by Elfmama »
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Margo

« Reply #7586 on: March 13, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »
Melding together the Geography and Historical brain hurts..

I'm British, and last time I visited the US I was there over 4th July and a day or two before the 4th was chatting to an assistant in a book store and she asked me how we celebrated 4th July in England...

I found this particularly brain-hurt as I was buying a book about local history and she had been telling me she loved history and studying History at University...

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7587 on: March 13, 2013, 09:54:32 AM »
Yep.  And as with the historically-challenged lumping all history as "The Olden Days" here we see the geographically challenged lumping all the world as "Not Here."  Or perhaps "No Place I Have Ever Been."  I was in Oregon visiting my sister, went to buy some wine, and the cashier noted from my ID that I lived in Maryland.  "Is that near Missouri?"  Only alphabetically, dearie. 

ETA: The US would have far fewer states if the East Coast was divided into sensible chunks instead of teeny-tiny little states the size of western counties.  All of New England ought to be one state.  Delaware should be part of Maryland. New Jersey should be part of New York.

It was! but those 4 stoopid counties just had to have things their way :)

Cami

« Reply #7588 on: March 13, 2013, 10:10:51 AM »

As a native New Yorker, I have to say: TAKE THAT BACK!

LOL

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7589 on: March 13, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »

As a native New Yorker, I have to say: TAKE THAT BACK!

LOL
I agree.  Looking at it geographically, it should be part of Pennsylvania.  In fact, I propose that we break off Western PA and make that a state, and absorb NJ into PA.  West PA can have Harrisburg and Pittsburgh, and East PA will take Philadelphia s its new capital.

While we're at it, let's break up California.  There's two, maybe three distinct states there.  We can also merge a few New England states, since they're each about the size of a decent IHOP.