Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1038362 times)

mw8242

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7590 on: March 13, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »
Yep.  And as with the historically-challenged lumping all history as "The Olden Days" here we see the geographically challenged lumping all the world as "Not Here."  Or perhaps "No Place I Have Ever Been."  I was in Oregon visiting my sister, went to buy some wine, and the cashier noted from my ID that I lived in Maryland.  "Is that near Missouri?"  Only alphabetically, dearie. 

ETA: The US would have far fewer states if the East Coast was divided into sensible chunks instead of teeny-tiny little states the size of western counties.  All of New England ought to be one state.  Delaware should be part of Maryland. New Jersey should be part of New York.
As a native New Yorker, I have to say: TAKE THAT BACK!

LOL

As a proud NJ'ian totally agree - we don't want to be NY!  ;D

lowspark

« Reply #7591 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »
Ya might wanna be careful about eliminating or combining states as it can dilute representation in Congress. Remember, every state gets two (and only two) senators, regardless of size. That gives those tiny states much better representation in the Senate than the big ones.

In fact, Texas, when it joined the union, reserved the right to, at any future date, break up into five states for this exact purpose. It would increase our representation in the Senate from two to ten.

And regarding geographical ignorance, years ago when I was getting married, my sister and I went to the shop where I was getting the bridesmaids' dresses so she could be fitted. I lived in Houston, and she lived in Sugar Land which is a suburb of Houston, less than 25 miles from downtown Houston. As my sister was filling out the paperwork the sales clerk noticed the Sugar Land address and commented on how nice it was that she could get her fittiing done while she was in visiting from out of town. We had a good laugh over that!

Shalamar

« Reply #7592 on: March 13, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »
I have another geographic brain hurt.  My family and I were visiting Orlando a few years ago, and I wanted to send my parents in Vancouver a postcard.  I asked the drug store clerk for a stamp, adding "How much postage do I need to mail a postcard to Canada?"  She looked blank and said "Canada?  Which state is it in?"  I said "Um, no - Canada.  You know - the country."

She still looked blank.  I gave up at that point.

Kariachi

« Reply #7593 on: March 13, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
Yep.  And as with the historically-challenged lumping all history as "The Olden Days" here we see the geographically challenged lumping all the world as "Not Here."  Or perhaps "No Place I Have Ever Been."  I was in Oregon visiting my sister, went to buy some wine, and the cashier noted from my ID that I lived in Maryland.  "Is that near Missouri?"  Only alphabetically, dearie. 

ETA: The US would have far fewer states if the East Coast was divided into sensible chunks instead of teeny-tiny little states the size of western counties.  All of New England ought to be one state.  Delaware should be part of Maryland. New Jersey should be part of New York.

LOL

As a proud NJ'ian totally agree - we don't want to be NY!  ;D

As my mother says, we'll give you guys NYC and the lot of you can stay over there. Don't want either of ya.

And that includes the relatives.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

mmswm

« Reply #7594 on: March 13, 2013, 11:48:38 AM »
I made my own brain hurt they day I made a shocking discovery...

For whatever reason, I'd assumed all through high school and my first year of college that the Continental US and Canada were roughly the same size geographically. Somewhere in my second year of undergrad, I really looked at a map and it dawned on me that Canada is MUCH larger.  Once you see it, it's amazing how anybody could not realize the difference in size. Canada is huge, and dwarfs the US in physical size.  Even when you add Alaska into the total area, Canada is still bigger. I blame teenage oblivion for that oversight.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7595 on: March 13, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »
On the subject of geography, I'm sure I've told this story before, but it's a good one. I was at a restaurant on my college campus and my server began working with a table of people right behind me. It was four people who had come to town to look around, I guess, and they were asking her about her studies and what she liked about the university. Someone asked her if the campus was diverse, and she said, "Oh, yes! The other day I met a Panamanian, and I'd never even heard of Panamania* before!" The table went very quiet, I tried not to choke on my food, and they hurried to place their orders.

It was such a classic gaffe that I probably wouldn't believe it if I hadn't been sitting right there. To this day I wonder if she did it on purpose, maybe because she was getting tired of just standing there chatting. I somehow doubt it, though.

*Panamanian = from Panama. Because sometimes I don't always get the mistakes here. :)
~Lynn2000

Reika

« Reply #7596 on: March 13, 2013, 12:04:15 PM »
The lady I had a few pages back that didn't know how to void a check struck again.

I had given her very clear, details instructions on how to handle an issue she was having. This morning my supervisor forwards an email from her, "Per my conversation with Reika, I'm sending this" with a note asking me if I remembered this customer.

She completely left out the item I told her to send, she also didn't include the cover letter with her policy number as I told her. I shouldn't be suprised, she didn't follow any of my other instructions before that.

My "Noooo, not her again!" gave my supervisor some much needed humor at my expense.

Melle

« Reply #7597 on: March 13, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »
I probably caused some collateral brain damage when a friend told me he now lived in "Stockton, CA" and I took the state abbreviation to mean "Canada"... in my feeble defense, I'm from neither the US or Canada ;)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7598 on: March 13, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »

For whatever reason, I'd assumed all through high school and my first year of college that the Continental US and Canada were roughly the same size geographically. Somewhere in my second year of undergrad, I really looked at a map and it dawned on me that Canada is MUCH larger.  Once you see it, it's amazing how anybody could not realize the difference in size. Canada is huge, and dwarfs the US in physical size.  Even when you add Alaska into the total area, Canada is still bigger. I blame teenage oblivion for that oversight.

According to my research, Canada is 3.85 million sqaure miles. Contiguous US + Alaska is 3.79 million square miles.

It just looks so much larger because it is north of us and so the sphere is stretched to make it fit the flat map.

I looked up some maps of the world to show you, but the address are too long to fit into my paste feature. Sorry.

mmswm

« Reply #7599 on: March 13, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »

According to my research, Canada is 3.85 million sqaure miles. Contiguous US + Alaska is 3.79 million square miles.

It just looks so much larger because it is north of us and so the sphere is stretched to make it fit the flat map.

I looked up some maps of the world to show you, but the address are too long to fit into my paste feature. Sorry.

Right, when you consider Alaska, the US and Canada aren't too far apart in size, but my feeble HS brain was comparing just the 48 continuous states.  Alaska alone is 663,300 sq miles (1,718,000 km˛), and added to the roughly 350,000 sq foot difference in Canada's favor, the difference between the to land masses I was equating at "roughly equal" is actually about 1,000,000 square miles.  That's not chump change.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

snowflake

« Reply #7600 on: March 13, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
In the same vein as the geography thing, when I was in college (in the Bay area) a friend of mine got a new roommate from a pig farm in Idaho.  On meeting him he insisted that he was NOT a backwards hick and that deep down he always knew he was going to end up living his life in a big city.  And then we went out for the first time. 

He asked, "Why do there have to be so many traffic lights? It's annoying!"

I had never thought about this before and started out with what was probably a very bad explanation of how traffic needed to be directed.

He broke in.  "You don't need them.  At home we have only one light in the whole town.  You just need all the drivers to have common sense and be polite."

I then tried to explain that while having a 4-way stop at every intersection was fine and dandy for a town of 500, it really was going to cause much more grid-lock and chaos once you added a couple million cars to the mix.  But like I said, I hadn't really thought about it much so by the time I was done I hurt my own brain and I'm sure I pulverized his.

But I was still right!

We teased him (gently) about being a country boy after that.  He came back with gentle teasing about California airheads so it was all good.

BTW, part of the problem with this whole perception problem is the projection we use in most maps.  The best discussion of this problem I have seen is right here: http://x959fm.com/blogs/post/savery/2013/feb/08/maps-will-blow-your-mind/

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7601 on: March 13, 2013, 12:27:11 PM »
I remember watching a program on how states got their shapes and they said that Maryland, Delaware and PA got their borders for religious reasons.   Maryland was a Catholic state, or at least mostly Catholic.  Pennsylvania was full of the Amish/Pennsylvania-Dutch and Delaware had Quakers.  That's about all I remember though, as it's been a while since we saw that episode.

In high school, we often had foreign exchange students and one was a guy from Holland who ran on the cross country team during his time here.  One guy, when we were getting to know him, asked "So if you're from Holland, what are you called, Hollish?"  ::)  The guy was a joker so I'm not convinced he was serious. Least I hope not, as he was a senior at the time and I'd sure hope he knew by 12th grade that "Hollish" is not the right term.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7602 on: March 13, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »

LOL

Yeah. Serious?  Dems fightin' words.

drzim

« Reply #7603 on: March 13, 2013, 01:12:13 PM »

I agree.  Looking at it geographically, it should be part of Pennsylvania.  In fact, I propose that we break off Western PA and make that a state, and absorb NJ into PA.  West PA can have Harrisburg and Pittsburgh, and East PA will take Philadelphia s its new capital.

While we're at it, let's break up California.  There's two, maybe three distinct states there.  We can also merge a few New England states, since they're each about the size of a decent IHOP.
[/quote]

There's always been many in favor of splitting up into two states: Northern and Southern California because the culture is so different and very distinct, plus the north tends to be more liberal politically while the south in more conservative.

However, since Northern California provides all the water for dry Southern California, I don't think it'll ever happen.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7604 on: March 13, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
I remember watching a program on how states got their shapes and they said that Maryland, Delaware and PA got their borders for religious reasons.   Maryland was a Catholic state, or at least mostly Catholic.  Pennsylvania was full of the Amish/Pennsylvania-Dutch and Delaware had Quakers.  That's about all I remember though, as it's been a while since we saw that episode.

In high school, we often had foreign exchange students and one was a guy from Holland who ran on the cross country team during his time here.  One guy, when we were getting to know him, asked "So if you're from Holland, what are you called, Hollish?"  ::)  The guy was a joker so I'm not convinced he was serious. Least I hope not, as he was a senior at the time and I'd sure hope he knew by 12th grade that "Hollish" is not the right term.

If it ever comes up again, the answer is "Hollandaise".  :D