Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1038286 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7665 on: March 15, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »

AC brightly says, "So how old are your parents?".  MC sounds kind of stunned, but answers.  AC continues to grill MC about his parents, any siblings he has, any siblings his parents have, who will be at the funeral, does he know who the executor of the estate is, and on and on and on.  ...

I kind of agree with Piratelvr1121 above about the Alzheimer's thing.  Although your CW phrased it incredibly clumsily, his point has a certain validity.

However the rest of the inquisition was just way over the top.  What business is it of his how old anyone's parents are or who will be at the funeral?  And it most CERTAINLY is none of his business who the executor of the estate may be!!  Good grief!

Phrase it right?  How about just not saying it at all?

I understand what you're both saying, but there is no right way to phrase that after just learning someone's loved one died, just no right way at all.  It is better left unsaid.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7666 on: March 15, 2013, 10:30:18 PM »

AC brightly says, "So how old are your parents?".  MC sounds kind of stunned, but answers.  AC continues to grill MC about his parents, any siblings he has, any siblings his parents have, who will be at the funeral, does he know who the executor of the estate is, and on and on and on.  ...

I kind of agree with Piratelvr1121 above about the Alzheimer's thing.  Although your CW phrased it incredibly clumsily, his point has a certain validity.

However the rest of the inquisition was just way over the top.  What business is it of his how old anyone's parents are or who will be at the funeral?  And it most CERTAINLY is none of his business who the executor of the estate may be!!  Good grief!

Phrase it right?  How about just not saying it at all?

I understand what you're both saying, but there is no right way to phrase that after just learning someone's loved one died, just no right way at all.  It is better left unsaid.

Agreed. Ideally nothing should have been said at all beyond the words "I'm sorry."

Library Dragon

« Reply #7667 on: March 15, 2013, 10:41:24 PM »

Unfortunately he was flying from LA to Oakland, and could not tell Immigration here how he managed without a passport or boarding pass. 

It almost happened domestically to one flyer on a flight a few years ago.  I had to make a made 5 minute dash to change planes in a large southern airport.  When I arrived at the gate there was no one there but the door was open.  This was not a walk way that attatched to the plane, but where you go outside and there are three walkways to different planes.  I get a gate agents attention and she visually checks my boarding pass.

I boarded the plane and quickly sat down near the front.  The flight attendant checked our boarding passes and announced three times over the speaker, "This is the flight to MyAirport.  Everyone is going to MyAirport?" I nod and say how happy I am to make the plane.  We taxi out to the runway and the attended says over the speaker, "We are now leaving for MyAirport."

A voice comes from the back, "MyAirport!  I'm not going to MyAirport." We taxi back and are delayed because we have used enough fuel to require refueling. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Minmom3

« Reply #7668 on: March 15, 2013, 10:43:49 PM »

Yes, the POINT is valid, but SAYING it to the person's grandchild has NONE!  It will be a relief when my own mother goes, as her confusion is mounting rapidly, but NOBODY but 2 besties and family had best SAY that to me.  Certainly nobody I work with....   >:(
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7669 on: March 15, 2013, 10:50:39 PM »
I had a coworker make that point to me, but in a gentler way, when my grandma was dying.  I was upset about it and she said "Well one way to look at it is that she won't be suffering anymore." She told me of how her grandfather had Parkinson's, another one of those illnesses where you just get worse as time goes on.  She said it was a relief to see him go. 

It helped but again, she phrased it better than that guy did.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jocelyn

« Reply #7670 on: March 15, 2013, 10:57:09 PM »
I had a coworker make that point to me, but in a gentler way, when my grandma was dying.  I was upset about it and she said "Well one way to look at it is that she won't be suffering anymore." She told me of how her grandfather had Parkinson's, another one of those illnesses where you just get worse as time goes on.  She said it was a relief to see him go. 

I'm glad you found it a comforting comment, but really, I think you'd have to know someone exceedingly well, to know if they were ready to see a death as a blessing. If a person is sorrowful about a loss, they may not be ready to see it as anything but a loss, and this could come off as 'Cheer up! It's not so bad!'

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7671 on: March 15, 2013, 10:57:16 PM »

My father didn't technically have Alzheimer's but he did have profound memory loss from another cause.  He also had several physical things wrong with him.  I loved that man to pieces (and was always quite a Daddy's girl) but when his body finally passed away (years after the man who had lived inside already had) I was honestly relieved.  I think the first word out of my mouth when my brother called to tell me he had passed away was "good".  He'd been through so much and he would have hated 'living' the way he was.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7672 on: March 15, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »

I'm glad you found it a comforting comment, but really, I think you'd have to know someone exceedingly well, to know if they were ready to see a death as a blessing. If a person is sorrowful about a loss, they may not be ready to see it as anything but a loss, and this could come off as 'Cheer up! It's not so bad!'

I guess.  This girl and I didn't really know each other that well but I didn't really take it that way, especially since she told me about her own grandfather it was clear that she understood the feeling of knowing you'll miss the person dearly but not wanting to see them suffer anymore.  And her tone was sympathetic more than "Cheer up, it's not so bad!"

Though another coworker at the same place...ugh...earlier that year my dad told me that Grandma was found wandering the halls of her assisted living calling out for Grandpa who had passed 4 years earlier.  She was scared and couldn't find him and had forgotten he'd passed away.  That already had me sad as it was and this coworker asked me what's wrong (I should never, ever play poker) and I told her.

She said "You know, a lot of people see their already deceased loved ones right before they die..." That comment bothered me even more!!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7673 on: March 15, 2013, 11:33:13 PM »
Texas is 268,580 square miles. There is a reason we measure distance in time.

You could fit DC and the smallest 13 states in Texas and still have about 34,434 square miles left over. If Texas was a independent country today it would be about the rank around 76 largest.

My boss at the museum came from back east. One day he decided to drive and see Eden, Texas a small town outside of San Angelo. He thought it would take 10 - 15 min - and ended up thinking he had driven into the Twilight Zone with the same scenery going on a loop for ever - and Eden is only 45 min away.

Another time we were all going to an see a museum in Amarillo for a meeting. Every native born Texan showed up with a cooler of drinks for the van - just in case. He got that it was a 4 hour drive there and 4 hours back - but not just how lonely US 84 was going to be. Especially if something happened between towns. Given the timing deer were a big hazard both ways.

We sold a car to a small town preacher from a nearby "village" while living in San Angelo.  They picked it up two days later with a comment that their college aged DD was going to wait on getting "her" car taken to where she was going to school.  Mom was a nurse on the night shift and had run into a deer the night before on her way home....the car was being seen by their insurance adjuster to see if it was getting repaired or replaced....

Speaking of small town life, I drove out to the small town to cash the check and the teller was going to call "The Preacher" first...when the banker in shirt sleeves told her to just cash, the preacher had mentioned the purchase to him at church the night before...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:58:46 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Tia2

« Reply #7674 on: March 16, 2013, 01:41:45 PM »

Unfortunately he was flying from LA to Oakland, and could not tell Immigration here how he managed without a passport or boarding pass.  This was before 9/11 though.

I have gone to get on a plane from LA to Auckland, and had the sky cap query why we need international departures.  To the NZ ear there is a distinct difference between Auckland and Oakland but perhaps you need a kiwi accent to pull it off.

He must have had a passport since he had already flown from the UK to LA - as for the boarding pass, if you are in transit, in the past when people didn't go into the body of the airport, I can see the staff not noticing that the boarding pass was only for the Heathrow/LA leg and not for the whole trip (you only get one pass and have to re-present it on re-boarding).  If it's in the right format and shows the correct starting airport (Heathrow), the attendants are trying to board several hundred people and it probably slipped past.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7675 on: March 16, 2013, 02:38:38 PM »
If a person is sorrowful about a loss, they may not be ready to see it as anything but a loss, and this could come off as 'Cheer up! It's not so bad!'
When someone who has already experienced a similar loss says something like this, maybe it will hurt one's brain less if you consider that they are telling you "there is a light at the end of the tunnel" instead of "cheer up, it's not so bad."  If they have gone through something similar, they know it is bad, they just want to you to know if can get better.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #7676 on: March 16, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »
He lived in LA, and his flighht was from LA to Oakland.  so how he got onto thatmflight without  passport and the correct boarding pass was a mystery.  The airline was fined heavily by NZ Authorities for this. 

daisy1679

« Reply #7677 on: March 16, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
I remember watching a program on how states got their shapes and they said that Maryland, Delaware and PA got their borders for religious reasons.   Maryland was a Catholic state, or at least mostly Catholic.  Pennsylvania was full of the Amish/Pennsylvania-Dutch and Delaware had Quakers.  That's about all I remember though, as it's been a while since we saw that episode.

Ouch. You made my brain hurt with this!

Pennsylvania was originally a parcel of land given to William Penn, who was a Quaker. He allowed Amish and Mennonite settlers to move in as well as Quakers, and he established a treaty with the Indian tribes of the Delaware Valley which sits on the borders of Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. He wanted access to the coast.

I had to look the state lines up - my religion classes were a VERY long time ago, and I didn't recall Delaware (the state) featured in any of them. I was starting to wonder if the teacher had missed something...

Well I'm willing to admit that either 1) I remembered it incorrectly or 2) the show got it wrong.  Which is possible, I think it's on the History Channel which isn't all it used to be.

If they were trying to drum up some excitement for the topic "Religious groups were wary of each other and stayed on their own land" comes across as much more titillating than "Everyone was friendly and they put the state line where it was convenient." :P

I think you were remembering incorrectly. I watched that show, and they were very clear that the main reason the eastern states got their funny shapes were for easier access to the ocean, so they could have a port. In a time before planes, trains, and automobiles, states needed a port to ship goods back and forth. Hence the reason most of them have a piece of the coast, and get larger as they go inland.

Tia2

« Reply #7678 on: March 17, 2013, 06:37:01 AM »
He lived in LA, and his flighht was from LA to Oakland.  so how he got onto thatmflight without  passport and the correct boarding pass was a mystery.  The airline was fined heavily by NZ Authorities for this.

According to the article he was on his way back from a European vacation and had already travelled from London.  I accept that the press don't always get that sort of thing right, though, in which case like you say, how he managed it without a passport or some sort of Air New Zealand boarding pass is very worrying.

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-04-11/local/me-11793_1_auckland
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:38:55 AM by Tiamet »

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7679 on: March 18, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »
I remember watching a program on how states got their shapes and they said that Maryland, Delaware and PA got their borders for religious reasons.   Maryland was a Catholic state, or at least mostly Catholic.  Pennsylvania was full of the Amish/Pennsylvania-Dutch and Delaware had Quakers.  That's about all I remember though, as it's been a while since we saw that episode.

Ouch. You made my brain hurt with this!

Pennsylvania was originally a parcel of land given to William Penn, who was a Quaker. He allowed Amish and Mennonite settlers to move in as well as Quakers, and he established a treaty with the Indian tribes of the Delaware Valley which sits on the borders of Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. He wanted access to the coast.

I had to look the state lines up - my religion classes were a VERY long time ago, and I didn't recall Delaware (the state) featured in any of them. I was starting to wonder if the teacher had missed something...

Well I'm willing to admit that either 1) I remembered it incorrectly or 2) the show got it wrong.  Which is possible, I think it's on the History Channel which isn't all it used to be.

If they were trying to drum up some excitement for the topic "Religious groups were wary of each other and stayed on their own land" comes across as much more titillating than "Everyone was friendly and they put the state line where it was convenient." :P

I think you were remembering incorrectly. I watched that show, and they were very clear that the main reason the eastern states got their funny shapes were for easier access to the ocean, so they could have a port. In a time before planes, trains, and automobiles, states needed a port to ship goods back and forth. Hence the reason most of them have a piece of the coast, and get larger as they go inland.
I saw that same series and I thought that majority of the state lines in the eastern US were determined by natural boundaries like rivers and mountains. Then when the states in the midwest and west were created, and there were fewer natural "lines" to follow they just sort of made them rectangular-ish like No. and So. Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams