Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1008859 times)

Kariachi

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7695 on: March 19, 2013, 12:31:47 PM »
Call my hip, but why must we further complicate our lives worrying about whether our sock match? Back in my day we didn't care as long as they were clean and didn't have holes!*

*Not attempting to offend, just what my brain responded with.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7696 on: March 19, 2013, 12:48:34 PM »
Yes, if they're clean and keep your feet warm, that's what matters!

*says the girl who will wear a Halloween sock on one foot and a St. Patrick's Day sock on the other.*
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7697 on: March 19, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
Now I know why I was saving my orphaned socks!  I thought I would use them to polish shoes or saddles, but now I know I can still wear them ... with each other. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

exitzero

« Reply #7698 on: March 19, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
I swear I just had this conversation at work five minutes ago:

Me, to coworker who was changing out of this boots: (He's a friend, so I was teasing him): Hey, your socks don't match!

Him: Yes, they do! They're exactly the same, they're just different colors!

Me:  ???

Him: And they come in pair of three!

Which is useful if you're a Puppeteer.

How old is your co worker?  I though this was only a trend for little girls. They are sold in sets of three with coordinating, but not matching colors and patterns. Look up the store "little Miss Matched" (spelling unknown)
He's a forty-something year old man, but he has his little kid side. Socks are his "thing" he must have 100 crazy pairs.

Susiqzer

« Reply #7699 on: March 19, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »
Stance has several items like that; three socks in a pack, none the same.

http://www.stance.com/shop/harrington-3

I'd have to buy two identical packs...   :o

exitzero

« Reply #7700 on: March 19, 2013, 01:01:53 PM »
Stance has several items like that; three socks in a pack, none the same.

http://www.stance.com/shop/harrington-3

Even they say "Three socks sold as one pair" I don't think they know what "pair" means!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7701 on: March 19, 2013, 01:38:18 PM »
Call me unhip, but why must we further complicate our lives with odd numbers of socks? Back in my day when we walked to school 12 miles in the snow uphill both ways, we wore our socks in matching pairs and we liked it that way! <curmudgeonly grumbling>

Not only did we buy our socks in matching pairs, we also bought two packages of six pairs (white because white goes with 'everything') so that as they began to wear out, we could just match the remaining sock with one of the many. many others!!  They seemed to never go away!!   :-\

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7702 on: March 19, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
I have officially found the most useless product.  Wow.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7703 on: March 19, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
It sounds like something I'd totally have fun with. I like fun socks!

It does, however, remind me of a job interview question, where you have to solve a riddle involving an alien with 3 feet who doesn't want to wake his wife in the morning by turning on the light to find 3 matching socks in his drawer.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

alkira6

« Reply #7704 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
After dealing with my husband stealing and wearing out my cute sock, trouser socks, toe sock, and knee highs, I just buy 4 packs of hanes crew socks a year - 2 black, 2 white, and dump them into the communal sock drawer.  My thick hiking socks and my toe socks are in a storage box on the shelf that he touches on pain of horrible bodily harm.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7705 on: March 19, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »
I have officially found the most useless product.  Wow.

Try it! You'll Like it!  ;D ;D ;D

Honestly? I'll never wear mismatched socks and I (smiling) roll my eyes at the DDs because they do.

The three to a pack? I think that's a fun marketing ploy so that you buy 2 packs, all different colors, making 6 pairs of mismatched socks . . . or they're giving you the third sock for when a sock mysteriously disappears in the wash . . . or you can mix and match and not wear the same different colored socks all the time!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7706 on: March 19, 2013, 03:55:01 PM »
Okay, this may be a "thing" but it was new to me and I had a hard time keeping a straight face!  MIL and the girls and I went out to a new(-to-us) restaurant in town, a little hole-in-the-wall soul food place.  It was plopped down in the kind of residential neighborhood where we're getting strange looks for being white folk driving down that particular street.  It had a great review in the local paper and I've been trying to find good fried okra here for the last ten years, though, so it was worth a shot.  (And it was really good!)

Anyway, the menu was a list of meats and sides scrawled on a whiteboard on the wall, and neither MIL or I could figure out whether "Jesus eggs" was an abbreviation for something or whether it was some dish we'd never heard of before, so she asked.

MIL: "Excuse me, but what are "Jesus eggs?  I've never heard of those."
Cook (also, I suspect, owner and the woman the restaurant is named for): "Lord almighty, you've never had Jesus eggs?  Jesus eggs is like deviled eggs except [stage whisper] the devil ain't welcome 'round here no more!"

I had a really hard time not breaking into giggles but I figured she'd probably be really offended if I did  :P  It's like "freedom fries," I guess - I got the impression she wasn't changing the name to be silly or tongue-in-cheek, she really was trying to avoid involving the devil in her restaurant.  Anyway, MIL and I both tried them and they were really good deviled eggs  ;D  Between that and the okra, I'm definitely coming back!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7707 on: March 19, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »
There are people who advocate that the standard greeting "hello" should be changed to "heaveno."

In fact, in 1997, the coiner of the greeting convinced a town to mandate that its employees use that greeting.  Texas town says goodbye to 'hello'.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7708 on: March 19, 2013, 05:13:38 PM »
I had to read that a few times. My mind wanted to break heaveno into "heave no" instead of heaven-o. I couldn't comprehend what vomit had to do with greeting someone.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7709 on: March 19, 2013, 05:20:11 PM »
Some people have far too much time on their hands.  And you know what they say about idle hands...