Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1101158 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7710 on: March 19, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »
Okay, this may be a "thing" but it was new to me and I had a hard time keeping a straight face!  MIL and the girls and I went out to a new(-to-us) restaurant in town, a little hole-in-the-wall soul food place.  It was plopped down in the kind of residential neighborhood where we're getting strange looks for being white folk driving down that particular street.  It had a great review in the local paper and I've been trying to find good fried okra here for the last ten years, though, so it was worth a shot.  (And it was really good!)

Anyway, the menu was a list of meats and sides scrawled on a whiteboard on the wall, and neither MIL or I could figure out whether "Jesus eggs" was an abbreviation for something or whether it was some dish we'd never heard of before, so she asked.

MIL: "Excuse me, but what are "Jesus eggs?  I've never heard of those."
Cook (also, I suspect, owner and the woman the restaurant is named for): "Lord almighty, you've never had Jesus eggs?  Jesus eggs is like deviled eggs except [stage whisper] the devil ain't welcome 'round here no more!"

I had a really hard time not breaking into giggles but I figured she'd probably be really offended if I did  :P  It's like "freedom fries," I guess - I got the impression she wasn't changing the name to be silly or tongue-in-cheek, she really was trying to avoid involving the devil in her restaurant.  Anyway, MIL and I both tried them and they were really good deviled eggs  ;D  Between that and the okra, I'm definitely coming back!

In an interview, Katy Perry said that her family called them "angeled (as opposed to deviled) eggs," because they were so against promoting the devil or some such. I had this face --> :o for a while.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7711 on: March 19, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »
Cook (also, I suspect, owner and the woman the restaurant is named for): "Lord almighty, you've never had Jesus eggs? Jesus eggs is like deviled eggs except [stage whisper]  the devil ain't welcome 'round here no more!"

I LOVE this! ;D

DD#2 makes the best deviled eggs in the world. I'll bring this up to her and ask her if she would like to serve Jesus eggs for the next party!

This should probably go in the "Stupid Question" thread . . . but how did Deviled eggs get their name any way?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7712 on: March 19, 2013, 05:55:57 PM »
I swear I just had this conversation at work five minutes ago:

Me, to coworker who was changing out of this boots: (He's a friend, so I was teasing him): Hey, your socks don't match!

Him: Yes, they do! They're exactly the same, they're just different colors!

Me:  ???

Him: And they come in pair of three!

Which is useful if you're a Puppeteer.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7713 on: March 19, 2013, 05:57:15 PM »
Cook (also, I suspect, owner and the woman the restaurant is named for): "Lord almighty, you've never had Jesus eggs? Jesus eggs is like deviled eggs except [stage whisper]  the devil ain't welcome 'round here no more!"

I LOVE this! ;D

DD#2 makes the best deviled eggs in the world. I'll bring this up to her and ask her if she would like to serve Jesus eggs for the next party!

This should probably go in the "Stupid Question" thread . . . but how did Deviled eggs get their name any way?

I wouldn't swear to it - but I think it might have something to do with the "heat" from various spices used in making them.

Either that - or it was that they were just too tempting to over-eat for some people!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7714 on: March 19, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
HA!  Reminds me of a children's book with a scene of a church supper.  The girl wondered if it was right to bring devil's food cake to church.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7715 on: March 19, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
Stance has several items like that; three socks in a pack, none the same.

http://www.stance.com/shop/harrington-3

I always joke that i have a sock neurosis; they have to match, socks even from the same package are marked so they are always worn as the same pair, i don't like to even wash them separately. It's unsettling to have one of a pair dirty and the other clean. This...i don't like it. I want to go bury my head in the sand. If it was anything but socks, ok ... but i can't deal with that.  :-[ :P ::)<--at me
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Jocelyn

« Reply #7716 on: March 19, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »
Some people have far too much time on their hands.  And you know what they say about idle hands...
My mother used to say that...until I observed that it was she who was finding things for my idle hands to do... >:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7717 on: March 19, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »

I always joke that i have a sock neurosis; they have to match, socks even from the same package are marked so they are always worn as the same pair, i don't like to even wash them separately. It's unsettling to have one of a pair dirty and the other clean. This...i don't like it. I want to go bury my head in the sand. If it was anything but socks, ok ... but i can't deal with that.  :-[ :P ::)<--at me

When my MIL bought socks for DS, she marked the toes of each pair, so they would always be matched exactly. Twenty-four pairs of identical socks. All marked.

That lasted about two weeks.

Snooks

« Reply #7718 on: March 19, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »

Can my socks and I come and live with you please?  For about the past fifteen years all my socks have had to be identifiable pairs.  I think my mother was secretly pleased that she no longer found me laying socks out on the railings trying to find the "true" pair of the one I had in my hand.

Bethczar

« Reply #7719 on: March 19, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »

I'd have to buy two identical packs...   :o
Me too. Little Miss Matched has some cute socks, I just can't wear them the way they are intended.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7720 on: March 19, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »
My own brain hurt. I realize that my DS will be 15 in 9 weeks and will be eligible for a learner's permit. It makes me happy and proud, and is a little bittersweet to see my baby growing up.

DS: Mom, can you take me to the DMV on my birthday?
Me: No, what day is your birthday on?
DS: Sunday. Oh, they won't be open. How about Monday?
Me: Look at the calendar.
DS: Oh, that is Memorial day. How about you keep me out of school Tuesday, then I can drive all day.
Me: No. I will leave early and take you to the DMV after school.
DS: Oh   :(

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7721 on: March 19, 2013, 07:50:57 PM »
My own brain hurt. I realize that my DS will be 15 in 9 weeks and will be eligible for a learner's permit. It makes me happy and proud, and is a little bittersweet to see my baby growing up.

DS: Oh, that is Memorial day. How about you keep me out of school Tuesday, then I can drive all day.

Hey May Baby!  :)  My Bday is May 31
/threadjack

KimberlyM

« Reply #7722 on: March 19, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »

Mine got his license 2 weeks ago.  I haven't slept since.  It's terrifying!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7723 on: March 19, 2013, 07:56:49 PM »
Thanks and yes, May for DH and DS. It is a busy month for us.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7724 on: March 19, 2013, 08:00:39 PM »

Can my socks and I come and live with you please?  For about the past fifteen years all my socks have had to be identifiable pairs.  I think my mother was secretly pleased that she no longer found me laying socks out on the railings trying to find the "true" pair of the one I had in my hand.

Sure, you can come, too Between us we can drive Gish and your mom totally crazy :)
It's so nice to know i'm not alone.
~Gaslight Anthem