Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1002784 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7725 on: March 19, 2013, 08:01:43 PM »
There are people who advocate that the standard greeting "hello" should be changed to "heaveno."

In fact, in 1997, the coiner of the greeting convinced a town to mandate that its employees use that greeting.  Texas town says goodbye to 'hello'.

Mind goes, irresistibly, to a thing heard nearly fifty years ago, from a schoolmate who came from South Africa. Back then anyway, South African English-language slang had the expression "o" -- basically meaning a male person (=guy, bloke, fellow, whatever).  As well as using it as a noun, assorted derivatives were thought of.  For instance --

a "bulawayo" (alluding to the second city of what is now Zimbabwe), was a guy who copiously and habitually spouted a great deal of "bull".

a "hello" was a guy who was reckoned at best very unlikely to get to heaven...

mmswm

« Reply #7726 on: March 19, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
Stance has several items like that; three socks in a pack, none the same.

http://www.stance.com/shop/harrington-3

I always joke that i have a sock neurosis; they have to match, socks even from the same package are marked so they are always worn as the same pair, i don't like to even wash them separately. It's unsettling to have one of a pair dirty and the other clean. This...i don't like it. I want to go bury my head in the sand. If it was anything but socks, ok ... but i can't deal with that.  :-[ :P ::)<--at me

Can my socks and I come and live with you please?  For about the past fifteen years all my socks have had to be identifiable pairs.  I think my mother was secretly pleased that she no longer found me laying socks out on the railings trying to find the "true" pair of the one I had in my hand.

Sure, you can come, too Between us we can drive Gish and your mom totally crazy :)
It's so nice to know i'm not alone.

Add me to the sock mating party.  I'm absolutely obsessive about matching socks.  If a pair gets really dirty and cleans unevenly, I have to throw them out because they no longer match.  I'm terrible.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7727 on: March 19, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »
I had to read that a few times. My mind wanted to break heaveno into "heave no" instead of heaven-o. I couldn't comprehend what vomit had to do with greeting someone.

My mind goes to "heaven no" which isn't any better than the original hello >:D

Dr. F.

« Reply #7728 on: March 19, 2013, 08:16:49 PM »
A thing that makes my brain hurt (and will do the same for all of my fellow sock-mating fans).

I bought a set of 4 pairs of black trouser socks recently. I didn't realize at the time, but they all have *slightly* different patterns, that are only obvious when stretched under bright light. They have been driving me INSANE trying to keep pairs together. The probability of anyone besides me knowing that I would be wearing unmatched socks is minimal, but that knowledge causes me intense mental anguish. I have taken to safety-pinning pairs together after taking them off, so that I can be sure to keep them together.

clio917

« Reply #7729 on: March 19, 2013, 08:18:48 PM »

I always joke that i have a sock neurosis; they have to match, socks even from the same package are marked so they are always worn as the same pair, i don't like to even wash them separately. It's unsettling to have one of a pair dirty and the other clean. This...i don't like it. I want to go bury my head in the sand. If it was anything but socks, ok ... but i can't deal with that.  :-[ :P ::)<--at me

Can my socks and I come and live with you please?  For about the past fifteen years all my socks have had to be identifiable pairs.  I think my mother was secretly pleased that she no longer found me laying socks out on the railings trying to find the "true" pair of the one I had in my hand.

Sure, you can come, too Between us we can drive Gish and your mom totally crazy :)

Add me to the sock mating party.  I'm absolutely obsessive about matching socks.  If a pair gets really dirty and cleans unevenly, I have to throw them out because they no longer match.  I'm terrible.

DH insists that once a pair of socks have been on his feet that they are permanently a "right" sock or a "left" sock, depending on which foot they were on. He will unroll socks that I have folded from the dryer and inspect the toes of the socks until he finds a right sock and a left sock. I can see no discernible difference, but he says he can feel when a sock is on the wrong foot. Makes my brain hurt...

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7730 on: March 19, 2013, 08:28:01 PM »

DH insists that once a pair of socks have been on his feet that they are permanently a "right" sock or a "left" sock, depending on which foot they were on. He will unroll socks that I have folded from the dryer and inspect the toes of the socks until he finds a right sock and a left sock. I can see no discernible difference, but he says he can feel when a sock is on the wrong foot. Makes my brain hurt...

HE'S RIGHT!  TELL HIM HE'S RIGHT!!!

I have been trying to get the Eagle to understand this for years now.  My toes stretch the ends of the socks out in a specific way.
Left Foot Toe Area: /
Right Foot Toe Area: \

If I put the left foot sock on the right foot, my right big toe is not where my left little toe used to be, and the sock isn't pre-stretched by prior use to accommodate the much longer big toe.  Then, the right little toe is no where the left big toe used to be and there isn't all that extra material in the shoe!  It's annoying!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7731 on: March 19, 2013, 08:37:42 PM »

I have been trying to get the Eagle to understand this for years now.  My toes stretch the ends of the socks out in a specific way.

If I put the left foot sock on the right foot, my right big toe is not where my left little toe used to be, and the sock isn't pre-stretched by prior use to accommodate the much longer big toe.  Then, the right little toe is no where the left big toe used to be and there isn't all that extra material in the shoe!  It's annoying!

I deliberately alternate which sock I put on which foot so this doesn't happen.

clio917

« Reply #7732 on: March 19, 2013, 08:44:25 PM »

Haha! He'll be glad to know he's not alone. :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7733 on: March 19, 2013, 09:00:20 PM »
mbbored, then the socks get square on the end and there's loose material everywhere.  Everywhere I tell you!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7734 on: March 19, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »
I intentionally buy lots of identical socks so I don't have to spend time matching. Black trouser socks go in a pile, white athletic socks go in a pile, and knee-highs (my trick so I don't have to wear pantyhose with my suits :)) go in another pile. When I want to wear some, I just grab two from the right pile!

mmswm

« Reply #7735 on: March 19, 2013, 09:51:08 PM »

Add me to that list as well.  I'm not really OCD, but when it comes to socks, I definitely have a few tendencies in that direction.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Dr. F.

« Reply #7736 on: March 19, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »

Add me to that list as well.  I'm not really OCD, but when it comes to socks, I definitely have a few tendencies in that direction.

All of this goes to prove that Terry Pratchett was *RIGHT*!!!  ;D

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #7737 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:07 PM »
<---- *just waiting for someone to start the "Clothing/Laundry Quirks" thread.  ;)  ::)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Iris

« Reply #7738 on: March 20, 2013, 01:32:45 AM »

Can I just point out that after reading this exchange, MY brain hurts? They're only  socks...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #7739 on: March 20, 2013, 02:27:43 AM »

Can I just point out that after reading this exchange, MY brain hurts? They're only  socks...

MIL bought me a bucket of socks from little miss matched one year...I cried. I felt like I couldn't get rid of them bc they were from MIL, but I had to hide them in the back of the closet and pretend they didn't exist. I was so anxious I nearly threw up several times. I finally got rid of them and the pj pants, but even thinking about it now I can feel my heart racing.

back on topic: It drives me batty when people comment on blogs just to disagree. What really drives me bonkers if when people comment on recipes saying things like "ew, I hate scallops. Not trying this one." Ok, don't try it then. Why go out of your way to ensure that everyone on the internet knows you don't like scallops?
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz