Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1039606 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7740 on: March 20, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
Little Miss Matched socks?  I'd have called them "Dobby Socks"....

I prefer matched socks - but if I were in Orlando, getting ready to go to Universal Islands of Adventure, I'd be looking for two DIFFERENT socks to wear.......just for fun.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

whatsanenigma

« Reply #7741 on: March 20, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »
HA!  Reminds me of a children's book with a scene of a church supper.  The girl wondered if it was right to bring devil's food cake to church.

I remember that one too...and there was something else about her making custard pies and adding a generous pinch of baking powder to the crust, because she had overheard that this would make the crust better, and then because the custard wasn't heavy enough to hold down the crust, it floated to the top, so she had upside down pies-which everyone ended up liking, after an initial reluctance to try them, because crust on the bottom would have gotten soggy, but the crust on top stayed crisp and flaky.

Now, what was the name of that book???? I'm trying so hard to remember.  But I do know that such a book exists.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7742 on: March 20, 2013, 09:43:57 AM »
This should probably go in the "Stupid Question" thread . . . but how did Deviled eggs get their name any way?

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2182/whats-up-with-deviled-eggs-ham-etc

Quick answer to why we call them deviled eggs, ham, etc.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #7743 on: March 20, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »
I intentionally buy lots of identical socks so I don't have to spend time matching. Black trouser socks go in a pile, white athletic socks go in a pile, and knee-highs (my trick so I don't have to wear pantyhose with my suits :)) go in another pile. When I want to wear some, I just grab two from the right pile!

Ah socks....I used to love pretty socks, but now I can't wear anything but white cotton.  Any dyes cause my feet to smell like old cheese, so it's white cotton for me, forever.
And...as a diabetic, I finally broke down and bought diabetic socks  (diabeticsocks4less.com).
I bought 24 pairs.  I'll never have to buy socks again.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7744 on: March 20, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »
HA!  Reminds me of a children's book with a scene of a church supper.  The girl wondered if it was right to bring devil's food cake to church.

I remember that one too...and there was something else about her making custard pies and adding a generous pinch of baking powder to the crust, because she had overheard that this would make the crust better, and then because the custard wasn't heavy enough to hold down the crust, it floated to the top, so she had upside down pies-which everyone ended up liking, after an initial reluctance to try them, because crust on the bottom would have gotten soggy, but the crust on top stayed crisp and flaky.

Now, what was the name of that book???? I'm trying so hard to remember.  But I do know that such a book exists.

I have no idea, but I read it too!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7745 on: March 20, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »

I prefer matched socks - but if I were in Orlando, getting ready to go to Universal Islands of Adventure, I'd be looking for two DIFFERENT socks to wear.......just for fun.

I would wear mismatched socks with you, we could have some butterbeer.

Kariachi

« Reply #7746 on: March 20, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »
I don't care about socks, but my strong feelings on silverware hurt my family's brains en mass.

They have to be organized just right. If they aren't organized the way I like them it kills me. And I know when they're off. Once, I walked into the kitchen during a party and could not drag my eyes from the silverware drawer. After about five minutes I finally opened it to find that someone had put a knife in the wrong way round. A few weeks ago I spent a week on edge before I found that someone had put our smallest, wimpiest fork(which has its own spot, thank you) had been placed with the good forks. It's like I have a psychic link with the cutlery.

My family enjoys screwing with me over it. Of course, given the number of instructional rants I go on about it...
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #7747 on: March 20, 2013, 10:48:40 AM »
There are people who advocate that the standard greeting "hello" should be changed to "heaveno."

In fact, in 1997, the coiner of the greeting convinced a town to mandate that its employees use that greeting.  Texas town says goodbye to 'hello'.

Holy brain-break Batman!

Coming soon:

Heaven-icopter
Heaven-iport
Heaven-iotrope
Heaven-ium
Heaven-m
Heaven-met
Heaven-p
Heaven-pful
Heaving-ping

Jones

« Reply #7748 on: March 20, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »

Emily's Runaway Imagination, by Beverly Cleary.
Love the drunk pigs and bleached plowhorse. :)

whatsanenigma

« Reply #7749 on: March 20, 2013, 11:04:16 AM »

Emily's Runaway Imagination, by Beverly Cleary.
Love the drunk pigs and bleached plowhorse. :)

Oh yes, thank you!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7750 on: March 20, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »
One tangent about silverware, and then I'll cease threadjacking  :D

My cutlery and plates/bowls cannot have patterns on them.  I hate patterning, and the closer to simple I can get the better.  I've got some great glass bowls that are just bowls.  No flowers, no decorations, just bowls.  And I found some great cutlery at Target that's just a plain metal handle on each piece, with design.  They are beautiful.  :)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7751 on: March 20, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
I don't care about socks, but my strong feelings on silverware hurt my family's brains en mass.

They have to be organized just right. If they aren't organized the way I like them it kills me. And I know when they're off. Once, I walked into the kitchen during a party and could not drag my eyes from the silverware drawer. After about five minutes I finally opened it to find that someone had put a knife in the wrong way round. A few weeks ago I spent a week on edge before I found that someone had put our smallest, wimpiest fork(which has its own spot, thank you) had been placed with the good forks. It's like I have a psychic link with the cutlery.

My family enjoys screwing with me over it. Of course, given the number of instructional rants I go on about it...

Love it! I am pretty laissez-faire about a lot of things now, less so when I was younger. I love the Miss Matched non-matching socks and my silverware and dishes are all random because I got most of them as hand-me-downs.

I do keep my cereal boxes in the fridge, though. This freaks people out sometimes. I started doing it years ago because I literally did not have any other place to store an open cereal box in my tiny kitchen. Now I find it convenient because they're right next to the milk, and the cereal is cold. I don't like room-temperature cereal anymore. This leads to brain-hurting exchanges like, "No, we can't detour, we have to go straight home from the grocery store so I can put my cereal in the fridge!" Oh wait...

My friend and her family make my brain hurt with their domestic preferences. My friend was complaining once about her DH doing the laundry wrong--he'd put the towels in the washer, but he wasn't going to put the hand towels in then because he said they hadn't been used. She agreed they hadn't been used, but pointed out that if he washed the (matching) bath towels and hand towels a different number of times, eventually the color of the more-washed ones would fade, and then the two groups wouldn't match anymore. She explained this to a group of us like it was the most natural thing in the world, and we all just stared at her, because none of the rest of us had ever considered such a thing. Frankly I was thinking how awesome it was that her DH had, voluntarily, done everything else about the laundry correctly, and she had to nitpick on this one thing.

But then I went to visit her parents, and they're the same way. They have two different colors of dishes--think Fiestaware in dark and light--and they stack them in alternating colors in the cabinet, so they can easily lay them out in alternating colors on the table. And when dirty they put them in alternating colors in the dishwasher. At one meal they handed me a plate of one color, realized where I planned to sit, and took the plate away and gave me one of the other color. I was like  :o.

They are all really nice people, though, they just have their funny quirks as do we all. :) My dad is really persnickety about how dishes go in the dishwasher, he'll come along after my mom has loaded it and rearrange things before running it.
~Lynn2000

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7752 on: March 20, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
My friend and her family make my brain hurt with their domestic preferences. My friend was complaining once about her DH doing the laundry wrong--he'd put the towels in the washer, but he wasn't going to put the hand towels in then because he said they hadn't been used. She agreed they hadn't been used, but pointed out that if he washed the (matching) bath towels and hand towels a different number of times, eventually the color of the more-washed ones would fade, and then the two groups wouldn't match anymore. She explained this to a group of us like it was the most natural thing in the world, and we all just stared at her, because none of the rest of us had ever considered such a thing. Frankly I was thinking how awesome it was that her DH had, voluntarily, done everything else about the laundry correctly, and she had to nitpick on this one thing.

I'm kind of with her.  If I had a set of hand towels I cared about, I'd probably want the whole set to match, and if there's any color to them at all, it makes sense that they'd fade eventually.  The other alternative is to replace them every couple of years... much easier to put it all in together.  Mind you, I wouldn't complain about it, I'd just point it out to M and that would probably be it.  But it does make sense.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:38:38 AM by Diane AKA Traska »

mmswm

« Reply #7753 on: March 20, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »
For the longest time the stories that a friend of mine told about her parents' kitchen eccentricies made my brain hurt, then, after years of story telling she finally told me that her parents are Hasidic Jews, so all of of the stories about two separate sets of dishes and when they built a new house, two separate kitchens.  None of it is brain hurty once you realize that these people kept the strictest of Kosher. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7754 on: March 20, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »

I would wear mismatched socks with you, we could have some butterbeer.

I love butterbeer - especially the frozen butterbeer on a hot July afternoon.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?