News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

  • October 22, 2017, 01:58:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 2008578 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dawnfire

  • Member
  • Posts: 824
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7755 on: March 20, 2013, 09:07:34 PM »
on the subject of sponges.

I use cloths (I believe they're seersucker) to wash my dishes. They're cheap and reusable.( I got it in a pack of 5 for $3). When they get a bit grubby they just go in the wash and they get an occasional bleaching too.
Whittlesea Victoria

mmswm

  • Member
  • Posts: 2190
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7756 on: March 20, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
I hate sponges.  I use dishrags and toss them into the laundry after a single use, then I bleach the begeebeez out of them when they go into the wash.  I go through a lot of rags.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BB-VA

  • Member
  • Posts: 847
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7757 on: March 20, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »
From my friend the college professor--today he graded an essay that stated, for those too ignorant to understand, that racism has been around for almost a decade. I wonder what the turning point was that sparked the onslaught of racism ~10 years ago.
wait what? my brain just 'sploded. I can understand an elementary school kid thinking this -- sometimes kids have little comprehension that the world existed before they did -- but a college student...

I used to teach a back to school class for older university students.  Some of the assignments were required by the university.  The final paper was on the value of teamwork.  One student wrote her paper on global warming.  She opened the paper with, "Global warming is bad because the penguins at the North Pole are dying." It didn't improve.

And that's why there are only penguins at the South Pole now.   ???

Reminds me of a brain teaser sort of thing I heard once - Do you know why that, no mather how hungry he is, an Eskimo will never ever eat a penguin egg?
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

gramma dishes

  • Member
  • Posts: 7264
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7758 on: March 20, 2013, 09:42:37 PM »


And that's why there are only penguins at the South Pole now.   ???

Reminds me of a brain teaser sort of thing I heard once - Do you know why that, no mather how hungry he is, an Eskimo will never ever eat a penguin egg?
[/quote]

Because Eskimos live north of the equator?  ???

Jocelyn

  • Member
  • Posts: 2013
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7759 on: March 21, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »
Got a phone call the other day. It took me a few minutes to even realize what I was being asked; finally I realized it was a realtor calling to ask if I were still interested in a house. (not a specific house, just a house in general).
The brain hurty part? I'd contacted them in July 2011.
Didn't they think that sometime in the past year and a half, I would have either found housing, or I'd have called them back? Or I'd become so disgusted by their lack of response, I wouldn't want to do business with them?

The housing market must be very, very slow these days, if they're going back a year and a half to scrounge for prospective customers!

2littlemonkeys

  • Member
  • Posts: 2888
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7760 on: March 21, 2013, 10:40:28 AM »
From my friend the college professor--today he graded an essay that stated, for those too ignorant to understand, that racism has been around for almost a decade. I wonder what the turning point was that sparked the onslaught of racism ~10 years ago.
wait what? my brain just 'sploded. I can understand an elementary school kid thinking this -- sometimes kids have little comprehension that the world existed before they did -- but a college student...

I used to teach a back to school class for older university students.  Some of the assignments were required by the university.  The final paper was on the value of teamwork.  One student wrote her paper on global warming.  She opened the paper with, "Global warming is bad because the penguins at the North Pole are dying." It didn't improve.

And that's why there are only penguins at the South Pole now.   ???

LOL, I was going to say the same thing.  The racism paper subject has rendered my brain useless for the rest of the day.  I'm out.    :P

Virg

  • Member
  • Posts: 5410
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7761 on: March 21, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »
BB-VA wrote:

"Reminds me of a brain teaser sort of thing I heard once - Do you know why that, no mather how hungry he is, an Eskimo will never ever eat a penguin egg?"

This joke makes my brain hurt because, while I get the kicker behind it, it implies that an Eskimo can't just order them off the Internet and have FedEx bring them like the rest of us do, and that's profiling.  And profiling is wrong.

Virg

LazyDaisy

  • Member
  • Posts: 1154
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7762 on: March 21, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »
BB-VA wrote:

"Reminds me of a brain teaser sort of thing I heard once - Do you know why that, no mather how hungry he is, an Eskimo will never ever eat a penguin egg?"

This joke makes my brain hurt because, while I get the kicker behind it, it implies that an Eskimo can't just order them off the Internet and have FedEx bring them like the rest of us do, and that's profiling.  And profiling is wrong.

Virg
that sort of racism must have started about a decade ago when Google invented the internet.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Virg

  • Member
  • Posts: 5410
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7763 on: March 21, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
LazyDaisy wrote:

"that sort of racism must have started about a decade ago when Google invented the internet."

Now that's a brain hurt.  Everyone knows that Al Gore invented the Internet.

Virg

NyaChan

  • Member
  • Posts: 3668
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7764 on: March 21, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
BB-VA wrote:

"Reminds me of a brain teaser sort of thing I heard once - Do you know why that, no mather how hungry he is, an Eskimo will never ever eat a penguin egg?"

This joke makes my brain hurt because, while I get the kicker behind it, it implies that an Eskimo can't just order them off the Internet and have FedEx bring them like the rest of us do, and that's profiling.  And profiling is wrong.

Virg

 :D Love it!

lowspark

  • Member
  • Posts: 5454
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7765 on: March 21, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »
From my friend the college professor--today he graded an essay that stated, for those too ignorant to understand, that racism has been around for almost a decade. I wonder what the turning point was that sparked the onslaught of racism ~10 years ago.

I've run into people who think that nothing actually ever happened before they became aware of it. In my office the subject came up once of a politician who was doing something or saying something that was somewhat scandalous (I don't remember now, exactly what it was, but you know, something that's happened a million times before) and a very young gentleman in my office was aghast. He made a comment like "wow, that's never happened before!" I was like  :o ummm... yeah, it has. a lot of times before.

Just because you suddenly become aware of some particluar trend or occurance, that doesn't mean it's the first time it actually happened. But some people don't internalize the idea that, hey, maybe there was a world full of people doing all kinds of things before I woke up and realized it.

So my guess is that the author of that essay just suddenly became aware of racism about a decade ago, therefore, it never existed before then.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Midnight Kitty

  • The Queen of Sludge
  • Member
  • Posts: 2310
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7766 on: March 21, 2013, 12:22:25 PM »
This joke makes my brain hurt because, while I get the kicker behind it, it implies that an Eskimo can't just order them off the Internet and have FedEx bring them like the rest of us do, and that's profiling.  And profiling is wrong.

Virg
It took me a couple double-takes before I got your point.  I took you seriously the first time.  The coffee clearly hasn't taken effect yet.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Virg

  • Member
  • Posts: 5410
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7767 on: March 21, 2013, 12:30:19 PM »
Midnight Kitty wrote:

"It took me a couple double-takes before I got your point.  I took you seriously the first time.  The coffee clearly hasn't taken effect yet."

When I read back through it after posting it, I realized that the "like the rest of us do" flowed too easily to make it pop out, which made it funnier but definitely harder to notice on first read.  It figures that I'd make a great joke entirely unintentionally while the intentional jokes mostly fail.

Virg

Midnight Kitty

  • The Queen of Sludge
  • Member
  • Posts: 2310
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7768 on: March 21, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »
A good joke makes you think, then laugh.  It's not funny if it needs an explanation. Virg - You are correct that the beginning flowed so smoothly it suckered me in, but your punch line (And profiling is wrong) needed no explanation.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:40:34 PM by Midnight Kitty »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

MayHug

  • Member
  • Posts: 588
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7769 on: March 21, 2013, 01:12:32 PM »
I actually made some adjustments to the story so that details would be obscured. But evidently in doing so, it made it seem as though the conversation should not have been relayed to me. So I removed the whole conversation.


« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:42:15 PM by MayHug »


Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.