Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1039967 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7755 on: March 20, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »
  My friend and her family make my brain hurt with their domestic preferences. My friend was complaining once about her DH doing the laundry wrong--he'd put the towels in the washer, but he wasn't going to put the hand towels in then because he said they hadn't been used. She agreed they hadn't been used, but pointed out that if he washed the (matching) bath towels and hand towels a different number of times, eventually the color of the more-washed ones would fade, and then the two groups wouldn't match anymore. She explained this to a group of us like it was the most natural thing in the world, and we all just stared at her, because none of the rest of us had ever considered such a thing. Frankly I was thinking how awesome it was that her DH had, voluntarily, done everything else about the laundry correctly, and she had to nitpick on this one thing.

I was taught this by my mother, re: sweater sets. If you wash the shell and don't wash the cardigan, they will end up different colors.  Ditto for sheet sets, or any other matching set.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7756 on: March 20, 2013, 11:53:53 AM »
  My friend and her family make my brain hurt with their domestic preferences. My friend was complaining once about her DH doing the laundry wrong--he'd put the towels in the washer, but he wasn't going to put the hand towels in then because he said they hadn't been used. She agreed they hadn't been used, but pointed out that if he washed the (matching) bath towels and hand towels a different number of times, eventually the color of the more-washed ones would fade, and then the two groups wouldn't match anymore. She explained this to a group of us like it was the most natural thing in the world, and we all just stared at her, because none of the rest of us had ever considered such a thing. Frankly I was thinking how awesome it was that her DH had, voluntarily, done everything else about the laundry correctly, and she had to nitpick on this one thing.

I was taught this by my mother, re: sweater sets. If you wash the shell and don't wash the cardigan, they will end up different colors.  Ditto for sheet sets, or any other matching set.

Same here.  I don't think the towel/hand towel thing is strange at all.  In fact, I think hand towels need to be washed with the other towels even if they don't get used, not only so the colors always match, but because they DO get dirty just sitting there.  Think of all the germs that have coated those hand towels since the last time they were washed. (yuck!)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7757 on: March 20, 2013, 12:09:22 PM »
Oh, I know some people are in total agreement about the towel washing thing, I didn't imagine my friend's family had made it up on their own--it was just somewhat alien to my own existence, so it made my brain hurt. :) Coupled with the fact that she assumed her DH, who grew up very differently from her in general, would just automatically know to do it, and that the group she was telling the story to would know what she was talking about and of course agree with her. I think she had to spend more time explaining to us what the problem was than she did her DH.
~Lynn2000

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #7758 on: March 20, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »
This one happened just a few minutes ago.
A co-worker came flying into my office just as I was stepping out of the restroom.
She first questioned me in a hostile tone as to where I had been because she was in my room a minute ago and I wasn't there.  I told her I had stepped out, but, I'm here now and how can I help her?  She showed me a paper cut on her finger and asked for a bandaid.  Ok.  There is a basket of bandaids on my desk but perhaps she didn't see them?  So, I hand her one and point to bathroom if she'd like to wash up.
As she is exiting she says again, "so, where were you before?"
Me(feeling slightly irritated):  Sorry, I was in the bathroom.
Her:  Doing what?
Me:   ???
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7759 on: March 20, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »
This one happened just a few minutes ago.
A co-worker came flying into my office just as I was stepping out of the restroom.
She first questioned me in a hostile tone as to where I had been because she was in my room a minute ago and I wasn't there.  I told her I had stepped out, but, I'm here now and how can I help her?  She showed me a paper cut on her finger and asked for a bandaid.  Ok.  There is a basket of bandaids on my desk but perhaps she didn't see them?  So, I hand her one and point to bathroom if she'd like to wash up.
As she is exiting she says again, "so, where were you before?"
Me(feeling slightly irritated):  Sorry, I was in the bathroom.
Her:  Doing what?
Me:   ???
EvilTraska votes on being graphically descriptive.  Don't forget to call her at home as you remember details you accidentally left out.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7760 on: March 20, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »

....   EvilTraska votes on being graphically descriptive.  Don't forget to call her at home as you remember details you accidentally left out.

During dinner.   >:D

lilfox

« Reply #7761 on: March 20, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »
These are two kitchen-related brain-hurts:

1) I roomed with a guy once after college.  He was really unhappy if I left papers scattered around the apartment, even if they were somewhat piled.  He much preferred they be in very neat piles if they had to be out, otherwise filed away out of sight was the best option.  Yet he allowed food to spoil in the fridge and the kitchen and bathroom were plague zones if I didn't clean stuff.  How can moldy food not bother someone but unaligned papers could?   :P

2) Based on that experience, I developed a strict sponge usage protocol which in turn hurts others' brains.  It's simple, really.  The sponge to the left of the faucet, scrubby side down, is for dishes only.  The sponge to the right of the faucet, scrubby side up, is for counters/floor only.  Anyone not abiding by the protocol gets a mild gasp of dismay, and the corrupted sponge is either downgraded (dish sponge used on the counter becomes the counter-only sponge) or removed altogether (counter sponge used on the dishes *shudder* means dish gets rewashed with a clean new sponge).  Go figure, DH prefers to use a completely separate third sponge when he does dishes by hand, and I choose to ignore the fact that he uses that same sponge to scrub down the sink too.  (Yes, I will frequently rewash those dishes after he leaves the area but I swear it's because his sponge doesn't clean as well!)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7762 on: March 20, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
I, too, have sponge rules which DH has fortunately adopted.

I let sponges used on dishes be used on the counters, but not the floors.  I figure dishes and counters where food is prepared have to be "food clean".   Once a sponge is used on the floor, it's put under the sink where it won't be used accidentally on dishes or counters.  Plus, it is closer to the floor. >:D

The dish sponge gets demoted to shower/bathroom sink duty when/if it gets old enough.  Floor sponges end up cleaning tack or the litter box or get tossed when they get old enough.  A sponge used on the litter box is thrown away.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #7763 on: March 20, 2013, 06:26:59 PM »
From my friend the college professor--today he graded an essay that stated, for those too ignorant to understand, that racism has been around for almost a decade. I wonder what the turning point was that sparked the onslaught of racism ~10 years ago.

Carotte

« Reply #7764 on: March 20, 2013, 06:39:36 PM »
Sponge hierarchy, I have that too, well I mean, I have come into a household that has that. And never leave the dish sponge inside the sink either!
It goes dish ->kitchen (counters) -> bathroom 1 -> bathroom 2.
Bathroom one is the sink and bathroom two should be the toilet/bathtub but since I'm the only one to ever do them I just use the same sponge.
It's mostly a dust/ some kind of dark particles problem anyway.

And for those that didn't knew and are not bothered by it, you can put you sponge in the dishwasher or nuke it in the microwave, it should kill everything and promote back the sponge.

As for dishwashers, if I'm the one to put the cutlery inside, it will be handles up. Anyone disagree they can fill it themself, my reasoning being that how many here remember to wash their hands before putting the clean dishes away? I would guess not everyone, so that when you get the fork or the knife that are handles down, you are grasping them by the places that touch food, with your not-clean hands. And for knives there is less risk of cutting yourself.
Sadly I have yet to find someone that understands me.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7765 on: March 20, 2013, 06:42:57 PM »
As for dishwashers, if I'm the one to put the cutlery inside, it will be handles up. Anyone disagree they can fill it themself, my reasoning being that how many here remember to wash their hands before putting the clean dishes away? I would guess not everyone, so that when you get the fork or the knife that are handles down, you are grasping them by the places that touch food, with your not-clean hands. And for knives there is less risk of cutting yourself.
I understand you.  Unfortunately, my dishwasher cutlery holder only gives me the option of putting the forks and spoons in handles first.  Fortunately, the knives will go in point first. ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7766 on: March 20, 2013, 06:46:12 PM »
I like them handles down because I think it cleans better that way.  I do wash my hands before emptying the dishwasher and my holder lets me grasp them below the eating portion.  And since I live alone, I'm the only one emptying it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7767 on: March 20, 2013, 06:47:40 PM »

I just take a tiny bit of forethought and care, and grasp slightly lower, so I'm pulling up by the stem near the eating end but not the actual eating bit. They get cleaner eating end up.
Knives I put pointy end down for safety reasons though.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7768 on: March 20, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »
If I don't put cutlery in handles down, there will be crusted on food on just about every blessed piece of it after the dishwasher runs. My dishwasher is really not very good at all. I'd rather touch the business end of every utensil than have to wash them all by hand (with dried on food) right after washing them in the machine.

However, like WillyNilly, I pull them out just below the eating part when I put them away. The only knives I own that go through the dishwasher are butter knives (and some steak knives that came with the set, but which are no sharper than the tines of a fork and highly unlikely to cause more than very fleeting discomfort). My only sharp knives are my good Wusthof knives, and those get hand washed, towel dried, and immediately put back into the knife block like the spoiled utensils that they are. :P

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7769 on: March 20, 2013, 07:44:41 PM »
From my friend the college professor--today he graded an essay that stated, for those too ignorant to understand, that racism has been around for almost a decade. I wonder what the turning point was that sparked the onslaught of racism ~10 years ago.
wait what? my brain just 'sploded. I can understand an elementary school kid thinking this -- sometimes kids have little comprehension that the world existed before they did -- but a college student...
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams