Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1012329 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7770 on: March 20, 2013, 07:54:27 PM »
I don't care about socks, but my strong feelings on silverware hurt my family's brains en mass.

They have to be organized just right. If they aren't organized the way I like them it kills me. And I know when they're off. Once, I walked into the kitchen during a party and could not drag my eyes from the silverware drawer. After about five minutes I finally opened it to find that someone had put a knife in the wrong way round. A few weeks ago I spent a week on edge before I found that someone had put our smallest, wimpiest fork(which has its own spot, thank you) had been placed with the good forks. It's like I have a psychic link with the cutlery.

My family enjoys screwing with me over it. Of course, given the number of instructional rants I go on about it...

I think you might burst into flame if you came into my house. One of my favorite things that Gish agreed to donig is just dumping the silverware in a drawer. I hate sorting it. I don't know why, it is an easy enough chore; but i hate it. So now it all goes in there willy nilly and i get a little smile every time i empty the dishwasher and don't have to sort it.

;) Or you could come to my house and sort the silverware while i went to yours and organized the socks  ;D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Amara

« Reply #7771 on: March 20, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »
Yup on nuking the sponge. Although I understand a minute is sufficient, I do a minute and 45 seconds each time. Once before I use the sponge, and again after I am done. For those who want to try this, the sponge should be natural and it needs to be wet, not just damp. Don't even think of picking it up from the microwave without gloves. Even then, be careful. It's beyond hot.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7772 on: March 20, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »
Count me in with those who toss the food/counter sponge in the dishwasher weekly.  The floor sponge doesn't need to be sanitary. ;D

I'm not a germophobe.  I work with germophobes and they make my brain hurt.  Where I used to work, they had a coffee percolator filled with plain water so people could use it to make tea or instant cocoa/coffee.  That water wasn't hot enough for me to make tea.  I think the water needs to be boiling hot when it hits the teabag, so I would put the percolator-hot water in a clean mug and nuke it for 1 minute until it boiled, then pour that over my teabag.  One day I poured a little too much water into the clean mug and had some left over after pouring over the teabag (in another mug), so I poured the rest of the boiling hot water back into the percolator.

A germophobe saw me pour water from the mug into the percolator and was disgusted, totally grossed out, and she made me empty the entire percolator (1 gallon with approximately 1/8 cup of boiling hot water from a clean mug in it) and refill it with fresh "clean" water.  I tried to explain to her that the mug was clean and was only used to boil water, so it's very clean.  I tried telling her that even if the mug wasn't 100% germ free, the boiling water poured back into the percolator was 100% germ free.  She wasn't buying any of it.  She said nothing should ever go from someone's personal utensils into the communal pot.

That whole exchange made my brain hurt.  :P
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Library Dragon

« Reply #7773 on: March 20, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »
From my friend the college professor--today he graded an essay that stated, for those too ignorant to understand, that racism has been around for almost a decade. I wonder what the turning point was that sparked the onslaught of racism ~10 years ago.
wait what? my brain just 'sploded. I can understand an elementary school kid thinking this -- sometimes kids have little comprehension that the world existed before they did -- but a college student...

I used to teach a back to school class for older university students.  Some of the assignments were required by the university.  The final paper was on the value of teamwork.  One student wrote her paper on global warming.  She opened the paper with, "Global warming is bad because the penguins at the North Pole are dying." It didn't improve.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7774 on: March 20, 2013, 08:48:01 PM »

As for dishwashers, if I'm the one to put the cutlery inside, it will be handles up. Anyone disagree they can fill it themself, my reasoning being that how many here remember to wash their hands before putting the clean dishes away? I would guess not everyone, so that when you get the fork or the knife that are handles down, you are grasping them by the places that touch food, with your not-clean hands. And for knives there is less risk of cutting yourself.
Sadly I have yet to find someone that understands me.

Oh I totally understand you

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7775 on: March 20, 2013, 09:09:21 PM »
From my friend the college professor--today he graded an essay that stated, for those too ignorant to understand, that racism has been around for almost a decade. I wonder what the turning point was that sparked the onslaught of racism ~10 years ago.
wait what? my brain just 'sploded. I can understand an elementary school kid thinking this -- sometimes kids have little comprehension that the world existed before they did -- but a college student...

I used to teach a back to school class for older university students.  Some of the assignments were required by the university.  The final paper was on the value of teamwork.  One student wrote her paper on global warming.  She opened the paper with, "Global warming is bad because the penguins at the North Pole are dying." It didn't improve.

*whimper* Ow ow ow ow! *BOOM* Great... so uh... which one of you is gonna clean my brains off of the lamp? ;)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7776 on: March 20, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »

*whimper* Ow ow ow ow! *BOOM* Great... so uh... which one of you is gonna clean my brains off of the lamp? ;)

And it had better be with the right sponge! ;)

Seriously, this kind of thing is on par with Adam Sandler's character in "Waterboy" insisting that his mama said alligators are ornery because "they got all them teeth and no toothbrush."  But that's (kinda) funny cause it's fiction.  Its sad and scary when it's reality!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Tsaiko

« Reply #7777 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:26 PM »

And that's why there are only penguins at the South Pole now.   ???

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7778 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:53 PM »

As for dishwashers, if I'm the one to put the cutlery inside, it will be handles up. Anyone disagree they can fill it themself, my reasoning being that how many here remember to wash their hands before putting the clean dishes away? I would guess not everyone, so that when you get the fork or the knife that are handles down, you are grasping them by the places that touch food, with your not-clean hands. And for knives there is less risk of cutting yourself.
Sadly I have yet to find someone that understands me.

Oh I totally understand you

Three.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

dawnfire

« Reply #7779 on: March 20, 2013, 10:07:34 PM »
on the subject of sponges.

I use cloths (I believe they're seersucker) to wash my dishes. They're cheap and reusable.( I got it in a pack of 5 for $3). When they get a bit grubby they just go in the wash and they get an occasional bleaching too.

mmswm

« Reply #7780 on: March 20, 2013, 10:14:20 PM »
I hate sponges.  I use dishrags and toss them into the laundry after a single use, then I bleach the begeebeez out of them when they go into the wash.  I go through a lot of rags.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BB-VA

« Reply #7781 on: March 20, 2013, 10:24:45 PM »

Reminds me of a brain teaser sort of thing I heard once - Do you know why that, no mather how hungry he is, an Eskimo will never ever eat a penguin egg?
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7782 on: March 20, 2013, 10:42:37 PM »

Reminds me of a brain teaser sort of thing I heard once - Do you know why that, no mather how hungry he is, an Eskimo will never ever eat a penguin egg?
[/quote]

Because Eskimos live north of the equator?  ???

Jocelyn

« Reply #7783 on: March 21, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »
Got a phone call the other day. It took me a few minutes to even realize what I was being asked; finally I realized it was a realtor calling to ask if I were still interested in a house. (not a specific house, just a house in general).
The brain hurty part? I'd contacted them in July 2011.
Didn't they think that sometime in the past year and a half, I would have either found housing, or I'd have called them back? Or I'd become so disgusted by their lack of response, I wouldn't want to do business with them?

The housing market must be very, very slow these days, if they're going back a year and a half to scrounge for prospective customers!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #7784 on: March 21, 2013, 11:40:28 AM »

LOL, I was going to say the same thing.  The racism paper subject has rendered my brain useless for the rest of the day.  I'm out.    :P