Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1013901 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7785 on: March 21, 2013, 12:25:59 PM »
BB-VA wrote:

"Reminds me of a brain teaser sort of thing I heard once - Do you know why that, no mather how hungry he is, an Eskimo will never ever eat a penguin egg?"

This joke makes my brain hurt because, while I get the kicker behind it, it implies that an Eskimo can't just order them off the Internet and have FedEx bring them like the rest of us do, and that's profiling.  And profiling is wrong.

Virg

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7786 on: March 21, 2013, 12:34:37 PM »
BB-VA wrote:

"Reminds me of a brain teaser sort of thing I heard once - Do you know why that, no mather how hungry he is, an Eskimo will never ever eat a penguin egg?"

This joke makes my brain hurt because, while I get the kicker behind it, it implies that an Eskimo can't just order them off the Internet and have FedEx bring them like the rest of us do, and that's profiling.  And profiling is wrong.

Virg
that sort of racism must have started about a decade ago when Google invented the internet.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7787 on: March 21, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »
LazyDaisy wrote:

"that sort of racism must have started about a decade ago when Google invented the internet."

Now that's a brain hurt.  Everyone knows that Al Gore invented the Internet.

Virg

NyaChan

« Reply #7788 on: March 21, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »
BB-VA wrote:

Virg

:D Love it!

lowspark

« Reply #7789 on: March 21, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »
From my friend the college professor--today he graded an essay that stated, for those too ignorant to understand, that racism has been around for almost a decade. I wonder what the turning point was that sparked the onslaught of racism ~10 years ago.

I've run into people who think that nothing actually ever happened before they became aware of it. In my office the subject came up once of a politician who was doing something or saying something that was somewhat scandalous (I don't remember now, exactly what it was, but you know, something that's happened a million times before) and a very young gentleman in my office was aghast. He made a comment like "wow, that's never happened before!" I was like  :o ummm... yeah, it has. a lot of times before.

Just because you suddenly become aware of some particluar trend or occurance, that doesn't mean it's the first time it actually happened. But some people don't internalize the idea that, hey, maybe there was a world full of people doing all kinds of things before I woke up and realized it.

So my guess is that the author of that essay just suddenly became aware of racism about a decade ago, therefore, it never existed before then.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7790 on: March 21, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »

Virg
It took me a couple double-takes before I got your point.  I took you seriously the first time.  The coffee clearly hasn't taken effect yet.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7791 on: March 21, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
Midnight Kitty wrote:

"It took me a couple double-takes before I got your point.  I took you seriously the first time.  The coffee clearly hasn't taken effect yet."

When I read back through it after posting it, I realized that the "like the rest of us do" flowed too easily to make it pop out, which made it funnier but definitely harder to notice on first read.  It figures that I'd make a great joke entirely unintentionally while the intentional jokes mostly fail.

Virg

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7792 on: March 21, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »
A good joke makes you think, then laugh.  It's not funny if it needs an explanation. Virg - You are correct that the beginning flowed so smoothly it suckered me in, but your punch line (And profiling is wrong) needed no explanation.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:40:34 PM by Midnight Kitty »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

MayHug

« Reply #7793 on: March 21, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »
I actually made some adjustments to the story so that details would be obscured. But evidently in doing so, it made it seem as though the conversation should not have been relayed to me. So I removed the whole conversation.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:42:15 PM by MayHug »

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #7794 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
I really don't think your daughter should be telling you anything about it at all.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #7795 on: March 21, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »
LazyDaisy wrote:

"that sort of racism must have started about a decade ago when Google invented the internet."

Now that's a brain hurt.  Everyone knows that Al Gore invented the Internet.

Virg
Really? I thought he stopped all the global warming.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

TylerBelle

« Reply #7796 on: March 21, 2013, 02:21:53 PM »
My mom had gotten some new medicine from her doctor recently, and she showed me the label on the bottle and had a question. On it says take one tablet by mouth. Pretty standard stuff, but why did "by mouth" have to be put on there, wouldn't it be naturally known to do so? I told her some medicines are taken in other ways of course, and also as I reminded her similarly some time ago being puzzled at the mentioning in a recipe for caramel squares to be "unwrapped." Some folks need a little clarification, lest they call the doctor or pharmacist wondering why their medicine wasn't working right, or the candy company with the lament of having cellophane stuck in their cookies.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7797 on: March 21, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
I really don't think your daughter should be telling you anything about it at all.

Agreed.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7798 on: March 21, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »
My mom had gotten some new medicine from her doctor recently, and she showed me the label on the bottle and had a question. On it says take one tablet by mouth. Pretty standard stuff, but why did "by mouth" have to be put on there, wouldn't it be naturally known to do so? I told her some medicines are taken in other ways of course, and also as I reminded her similarly some time ago being puzzled at the mentioning in a recipe for caramel squares to be "unwrapped." Some folks need a little clarification, lest they call the doctor or pharmacist wondering why their medicine wasn't working right, or the candy company with the lament of having cellophane stuck in their cookies.

Not a fan of House, but caught one in which the asthma sufferer was spraying the inhalant on the outside of her neck instead of breathing it in. I guess the pharmacist offered to give her instructions, but she said the same thing to him that she said to the ER people: "Of course I know how to use it! What do think I am? Stupid or something?"

I also have heard of people who have taken a suppository orally.

And with household products, tried to use a Tupperware TM bread keeper to bake bread.

So, yes, the world is full of people who must be reminded to not reach under the lawnmower when it is on.

Search for "Darwin Awards" and you will find the funniest and most terrifying stories in the world! When I am feeling really bad about myself, I watch Jerry Springer or Montel, or read the Darwin Awards.

Lynn2000

« Reply #7799 on: March 21, 2013, 02:53:49 PM »
My dad just got one of those whole roasted chickens from the deli that come in a plastic container. He noted that the instructions warned the container was not "ovenable." That made us both kind of go  ??? and wonder if "to oven something" is now said, or what...
~Lynn2000