Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1075042 times)

Ereine

Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7800 on: March 21, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
There was a story on a Finnish Facebook fail type site about a young woman who was angry at her microwave. Her freezer was full so she put her ice cream in the microwave for half an hour and was dismayed that it had completely melted. She had used the "snowflake" (defrosting) setting after all and snow is cold.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7801 on: March 21, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »
Lynn2000 wrote:

"He noted that the instructions warned the container was not "ovenable." That made us both kind of go  ??? and wonder if "to oven something" is now said, or what..."

This is a non-English speaking deli worker's way of saying "They made me write the English translation for these instructions but all I've got to work with is Google and what I remember from grade school."  I'd guess Spanish because (verb)-able is a typical Spanish construction.  One does have to give credit that while it's not standard English it does communicate the idea successfully.

Virg

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #7802 on: March 21, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
There was a story on a Finnish Facebook fail type site about a young woman who was angry at her microwave. Her freezer was full so she put her ice cream in the microwave for half an hour and was dismayed that it had completely melted. She had used the "snowflake" (defrosting) setting after all and snow is cold.

Heck, she was in Finland, couldn't she have put it in the yard?

(NOTE:  This is a joke.  I know Finland isn't icy cold all year round.  You're not Canada for deity's sake!)
(Yes, that's a joke too.)

bloo

« Reply #7803 on: March 21, 2013, 03:33:47 PM »
I saw an ad in a hunting supply catalog that was a toilet seat that goes on your reese hitch (on the back of your vehicle) under which you'd put a 5-gallon bucket or something. It's no longer for sale on the following site but is still listed on there.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308541_200308541

I still chuckle over the following overly explicit (IMO) directions - note the bolded:

The Off-Road Commode is a great option when nature calls and there’s no restroom for miles. Easily slides into any 2in. receiver hitch and supports up to 500 lbs. Ideal for hunters, fishing fanatics and camping enthusiasts. Not for use when vehicle is in motion. Can get slippery when wet.

:o I mean, really? Someone has to be told this?

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7804 on: March 21, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »
Lynn2000 wrote:

"He noted that the instructions warned the container was not "ovenable." That made us both kind of go  ??? and wonder if "to oven something" is now said, or what..."

This is a non-English speaking deli worker's way of saying "They made me write the English translation for these instructions but all I've got to work with is Google and what I remember from grade school."  I'd guess Spanish because (verb)-able is a typical Spanish construction.  One does have to give credit that while it's not standard English it does communicate the idea successfully.

Virg

Hey, maybe so, I never thought about that. I thought it was printed on the official company packaging, but I didn't actually see it myself, so it could have come from the deli staff. And I agree, we knew exactly what it meant! :) Though then it made me wonder if the packaging was microwave and/or dishwasher safe, because I'm way more likely to use those than my oven...
~Lynn2000

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7805 on: March 21, 2013, 03:58:45 PM »
Here is one from my dad. A few weeks ago when I was at my parents' house we had Chinese take-out. This is very exotic for them. I like to eat with chopsticks so my dad grabbed a few pairs of the disposable wooden ones they have at the restaurant, and I used a pair at dinner. I assumed they had gotten thrown out after dinner, because they are, in fact, disposable...

But no. My dad thought he should save them, in case I wanted to reuse them next time. So he carefully washed the chopsticks. Then, he... put them in the microwave to dry them. They came out blackened, and set off the smoke detector.

I do have reusable chopsticks, which I think might be made out of plastic, but I can't imagine he would know such things exist. So I'm not sure where this particular bright idea came from...
~Lynn2000

MerryCat

« Reply #7806 on: March 21, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »

Heck, she was in Finland, couldn't she have put it in the yard?

(NOTE:  This is a joke.  I know Finland isn't icy cold all year round.  You're not Canada for deity's sake!)
(Yes, that's a joke too.)

On snowpocalyptic days like tody that's less a joke and more a grim statement of reality. We've already had several centimeters of snow today, and it's not expected to stop for another 10 hours or so >.<

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7807 on: March 21, 2013, 04:38:29 PM »
I saw an ad in a hunting supply catalog that was a toilet seat that goes on your reese hitch (on the back of your vehicle) under which you'd put a 5-gallon bucket or something. It's no longer for sale on the following site but is still listed on there.

I still chuckle over the following overly explicit (IMO) directions - note the bolded:

The Off-Road Commode is a great option when nature calls and there’s no restroom for miles. Easily slides into any 2in. receiver hitch and supports up to 500 lbs. Ideal for hunters, fishing fanatics and camping enthusiasts. Not for use when vehicle is in motion. Can get slippery when wet.

I still think that product is more tasteful than the hitch-mounted stripper pole: http://www.geekologie.com/2012/09/finally-a-decent-hitch-mounted-stripper.php

norrina

« Reply #7808 on: March 21, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »
Here is one from my dad. A few weeks ago when I was at my parents' house we had Chinese take-out. This is very exotic for them. I like to eat with chopsticks so my dad grabbed a few pairs of the disposable wooden ones they have at the restaurant, and I used a pair at dinner. I assumed they had gotten thrown out after dinner, because they are, in fact, disposable...

But no. My dad thought he should save them, in case I wanted to reuse them next time. So he carefully washed the chopsticks. Then, he... put them in the microwave to dry them. They came out blackened, and set off the smoke detector.

I do have reusable chopsticks, which I think might be made out of plastic, but I can't imagine he would know such things exist. So I'm not sure where this particular bright idea came from...

We actually wash our disposable chopsticks, although we let them air dry. I have one pair of reuseable chopsticks, but DF and DSS don't have any, and we've just never gotten around to getting additional sets. This way we usually have a few spares around for when we cook our own Chinese.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7809 on: March 21, 2013, 05:26:52 PM »

We actually wash our disposable chopsticks, although we let them air dry. I have one pair of reuseable chopsticks, but DF and DSS don't have any, and we've just never gotten around to getting additional sets. This way we usually have a few spares around for when we cook our own Chinese.

I often put sponges in the microwave for 1 minute to sanitize them. I would imagine the man simply put the chopsticks in for too long. Probably 30 seconds would have been plenty, and if they were dry, a 1/4 c bowl of water beside them would have been wise.

My bother-in-law was really upset with me because I told him he could warm left over pizza in the microwave so he did it and it came out like a board. He put it in for 4 minutes! It's all my fault that he didn't read the instructions. This was in the '80s, so somewhat new as a common household appliance.

And then there was the person who hated Splenda because it was too sweet. Sometimes it tastes weird and bitter to some people, but she just tossed it. Again my fault. It was like a light bulb went on when I said, "Well, use less."

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #7810 on: March 21, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »
How is it people keep confusing my sister and I, or keep thinking we're identical twins?

BF just reported that someone at work is mad for my sister and my BF somehow offending a person at McDonalds (? I'll get the whole story later, he just let me know this over email) when we were doing nothing more than standing in line.  The problem is... well, we.  It was my BF and I getting a quick drink while he was on his lunch.

Why am I confused?  We do look a little similar, not completely alien.  At least, the same dark blonde hair color, but its kept at different cuts.  She wears glasses, I have 20/20 vision, she looks all Nordic where I took after the Celtic side of the family.  She has pale skin with rosy cheeks, a thin face with high cheekbones and grey-blue eyes.  I have a wider face with somewhat high cheek bones, a darker complexion with a little less red, and hazel eyes, and have quite a few freckles.

Yet we often get stopped if we're out having lunch together, and are asked if we're identical twins.  People just don't seem to believe that she's two and a half years older than me.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7811 on: March 21, 2013, 05:36:27 PM »

I live in Houston, Texas.  There are signs in some public bathrooms that specify that "soiled" toilet tissue is to be FLUSHED.  In English, Spanish, and sometimes a type face/writing that I don't recognize the language specifically.

Apparently some tourists or immigrants are from areas where the drains can't handle toilet tissue AND body waste - so there is toilet tissue being placed in trash cans instead of the toilet.

Around here, the trash can next to the toilet is for soiled "feminine products".  Or paper towels, if there is only one toilet in the bathroom and one trash container.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7812 on: March 21, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
How is it people keep confusing my sister and I, or keep thinking we're identical twins?

BF just reported that someone at work is mad for my sister and my BF somehow offending a person at McDonalds (? I'll get the whole story later, he just let me know this over email) when we were doing nothing more than standing in line.  The problem is... well, we.  It was my BF and I getting a quick drink while he was on his lunch.

Why am I confused?  We do look a little similar, not completely alien.  At least, the same dark blonde hair color, but its kept at different cuts.  She wears glasses, I have 20/20 vision, she looks all Nordic where I took after the Celtic side of the family.  She has pale skin with rosy cheeks, a thin face with high cheekbones and grey-blue eyes.  I have a wider face with somewhat high cheek bones, a darker complexion with a little less red, and hazel eyes, and have quite a few freckles.

Yet we often get stopped if we're out having lunch together, and are asked if we're identical twins.  People just don't seem to believe that she's two and a half years older than me.

Are you me?!

My sister is also 2/5 years older than I am.  Although we look like sisters, we don't look that much alike.  We get mistaken for twins constantly and have even had people argue with us!  I wear glasses, she doesn't; she has freckles, I don't; her hair is much curlier and less frizzy than mine; and I have an oval face while she has a round one.  On top of that, she has a smaller nose, normal set almost eyes, curved eyebrows, and a narrow mouth.  I have a large nose, deep set eyes, flat/straight thick eyebrows, and fuller lips.  Gease louise, people, we're not the same person!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7813 on: March 21, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »
I live in Houston, Texas.  There are signs in some public bathrooms that specify that "soiled" toilet tissue is to be FLUSHED.  In English, Spanish, and sometimes a type face/writing that I don't recognize the language specifically.

Apparently some tourists or immigrants are from areas where the drains can't handle toilet tissue AND body waste - so there is toilet tissue being placed in trash cans instead of the toilet.

Around here, the trash can next to the toilet is for soiled "feminine products".  Or paper towels, if there is only one toilet in the bathroom and one trash container.

Had a brain-hurting conversation with a friend once when she asked me if she should put a sign next to the toilet in her apartment, asking people to throw the toilet paper into the trash can instead of flushing it. She was having issues with it frequently clogging. I was just like, "Wha...??" and she finally explained that in her country of origin (in South America) this is a common thing because the plumbing in general can't handle toilet paper. I replied that, IME at least, in the US this is not generally the case and other people from the US would be weirded out by that sign/request. Basically this meant (IMO) there was something actually wrong with her toilet, which could and ought to be repaired, and she either needed to get on her landlord about it (if it was something with the whole building plumbing) or pay for a plumber herself. I just couldn't understand why she thought the sign/request would be a good idea, until she finally explained it was common where she was from.
~Lynn2000

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7814 on: March 21, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »
My brain got broken (possibly permanently) at work this afternoon. 

Male Coworker (MC) sent out an email saying he was going to be out Monday and possibly Tuesday.  Annoying Coworker (AC) asked why and he said his grandmother had died.  The rest of us said, "Oh, that's too bad.  I'm sorry to hear that" types of phrases.  AC said, "oh that's too bad", paused for a moment and then said, "Was she very old then?"  :o  MC said, "Yeah, she was kind of old, she's had Alzheimer's for awhile".  AC said, "Oh, well it was for the best, if she had that".  :o

*pause* 

AC brightly says, "So how old are your parents?".  MC sounds kind of stunned, but answers.  AC continues to grill MC about his parents, any siblings he has, any siblings his parents have, who will be at the funeral, does he know who the executor of the estate is, and on and on and on.  Most of us by the end were just sitting with dropped jaws!  MC finally got away by just standing up and leaving.  AC works for an additional hour beyond when MC leaves, so couldn't follow him out, but looked very disappointed that her inquisition had to end. 

Now I know who not to answer questions from in the future!  And seriously, who thinks it's okay to grill someone about their family when they've just told you a family member has died?

Feel free to interrupt her and say, "Annoying Coworker, I'm sure Mike would rather not be grilled about his family. That's his business, and it's not necessary for us at work."