Author Topic: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt  (Read 1018289 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Exchanges with People that Make Your Brain Hurt
« Reply #7815 on: March 21, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »
We just had a meeting at work that made my brain hurt.  My office is being split into different administrative groups.  For some reason, my group gets no respect.  The other group said the people who work in my group must all move so they can have all their people close together.  It's not enough that all the people in the group are in the same office; They need to be in adjacent cubicles.  In order to achieve this, they are moving my group and scattering us so we are no longer near each other or near our files.  In fact, they want to move our files into another office. :o  When they are done putting in new doors and walls, my group will have to go outside of our office, down the hall, and back in another door to reach our printer/copier.  My group's kitchen somehow ended up on the other group's side of the wall, so they would have access to our refrigerator, toaster oven, and microwave, but we wouldn't.  We paid for the appliances; They didn't.

The part that really made my brain hurt was that the other group's supervisor is planning to occupy a cubicle in the office across the hall. ??? :o ::) Apparently she isn't thrilled that the other group was placed under her supervision and would rather not be located where she would be expected to actively supervise them.  So ... it's OK to split up my group, move us all over the place, separate us from the materials we need to serve the public, all in the name of having the other group "together," except their supervisor won't even be in the same office.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7816 on: March 21, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »
It was some sixteen years after we left the town where we lived about three years (I was 11 when we got there and 14 when we left).  I was walking down the street near my house (exercise) when someone "recognized" me as my parents' daughter.

But kept calling me by my sister's name and insisting that *I* had been in their class and was THEIR friend.

Nope, I was the glasses wearing bookworm older sister and had been in the class a year ahead of her.  She kept calling me by shorter, younger, sister who still didn't wear glasses at the time (twenty years later, she does), and insisting that I was Lil Sis.

I started doing my exercise in a different pattern or going by that house at a different time of day.  She would not "recognize" me as Older Sister of Lil Sis and kept calling me Lil Sis while asking me if I remembered *some event* that I was not present for.

Much eye rolling and avoiding her proved the only way to get around the situation.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #7817 on: March 21, 2013, 06:22:59 PM »
How is it people keep confusing my sister and I, or keep thinking we're identical twins?

BF just reported that someone at work is mad for my sister and my BF somehow offending a person at McDonalds (? I'll get the whole story later, he just let me know this over email) when we were doing nothing more than standing in line.  The problem is... well, we.  It was my BF and I getting a quick drink while he was on his lunch.

Why am I confused?  We do look a little similar, not completely alien.  At least, the same dark blonde hair color, but its kept at different cuts.  She wears glasses, I have 20/20 vision, she looks all Nordic where I took after the Celtic side of the family.  She has pale skin with rosy cheeks, a thin face with high cheekbones and grey-blue eyes.  I have a wider face with somewhat high cheek bones, a darker complexion with a little less red, and hazel eyes, and have quite a few freckles.

Yet we often get stopped if we're out having lunch together, and are asked if we're identical twins.  People just don't seem to believe that she's two and a half years older than me.

Are you me?!

My sister is also 2/5 years older than I am.  Although we look like sisters, we don't look that much alike.  We get mistaken for twins constantly and have even had people argue with us!  I wear glasses, she doesn't; she has freckles, I don't; her hair is much curlier and less frizzy than mine; and I have an oval face while she has a round one.  On top of that, she has a smaller nose, normal set almost eyes, curved eyebrows, and a narrow mouth.  I have a large nose, deep set eyes, flat/straight thick eyebrows, and fuller lips.  Gease louise, people, we're not the same person!

I'd ask if you were my older sibling, had I another, older one. :P And had I curly/frizzy hair.  We look related, but we're completely different face and body builds, and people are still convinced we're identical twins! ::)

The only thing I got is that we're really close.  We've almost never fought (almost.  we still had rounds), and are generally interested in the same things. :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7818 on: March 21, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »
We just had a meeting at work that made my brain hurt.  My office is being split into different administrative groups.  For some reason, my group gets no respect.  The other group said the people who work in my group must all move so they can have all their people close together.  It's not enough that all the people in the group are in the same office; They need to be in adjacent cubicles.  In order to achieve this, they are moving my group and scattering us so we are no longer near each other or near our files.  In fact, they want to move our files into another office. :o  When they are done putting in new doors and walls, my group will have to go outside of our office, down the hall, and back in another door to reach our printer/copier.  My group's kitchen somehow ended up on the other group's side of the wall, so they would have access to our refrigerator, toaster oven, and microwave, but we wouldn't.  We paid for the appliances; They didn't.

The part that really made my brain hurt was that the other group's supervisor is planning to occupy a cubicle in the office across the hall. ??? :o ::) Apparently she isn't thrilled that the other group was placed under her supervision and would rather not be located where she would be expected to actively supervise them.  So ... it's OK to split up my group, move us all over the place, separate us from the materials we need to serve the public, all in the name of having the other group "together," except their supervisor won't even be in the same office.

Oh, yes. That would make my brain hurt too.   (Love that emoticon!  ;D)

I'm wondering how involved your manager was in this decision making process. From what I understand, in large companies, even floor space (how large a cube/office is) has something to do with the departmental budget. From what you posted, it doesn't sound like you have a leg to complain on. OUCH!

In my situation, the facilities people commandeered about 15 feet off the back of our room which use to sit 7 people (the front 2 cubes were functionally in use for other purposes.) Which meant that the two people in the back would have to move up to the 2 empty cubes in the front.

Uproar ensued. "If I have to move, everybody has to move!" Oh. Give me a break. Instead of moving 2 people, certain CWs  wanted to move everybody up, which meant a complete redesign of 5 cubes instead of 2 (everybody's cube is set up differently for certain tasks.)

This really hurt my brain because of the cost. We're all in the same room! What's the biggie? Does it really matter if our cubes are in a different order?

Brain hurty part is that Boss finally said that we would draw numbers for who gets what cube. I was the only one lucky enough to stay in my own cube . . . Additional Brain hurty? It took 2 days of re-wiring the computers (Mac vs. PC), setting up the desk spaces, lighting, whatever, in order to accommodate 4 moves instead of just 2.

Midnight Kitty -- Your situation is a whole lot different from mine, but I'm here to tell you that I feel your pain.

It just doesn't make sense, does it?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7819 on: March 21, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »
I intentionally buy lots of identical socks so I don't have to spend time matching. Black trouser socks go in a pile, white athletic socks go in a pile, and knee-highs (my trick so I don't have to wear pantyhose with my suits :)) go in another pile. When I want to wear some, I just grab two from the right pile!

Ah socks....I used to love pretty socks, but now I can't wear anything but white cotton.  Any dyes cause my feet to smell like old cheese, so it's white cotton for me, forever.
And...as a diabetic, I finally broke down and bought diabetic socks  (diabeticsocks4less.com).
I bought 24 pairs.  I'll never have to buy socks again.

Thank you, my father and DH both have circulation issues. I just ordered 24 pair.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7820 on: March 21, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
I'm wondering how involved your manager was in this decision making process.
I feel your pain, too, jpcher. (((hugs)))

I work for the government.  My supervisor was not consulted.  Our manager position has been vacant for over 3 years large part because having a manager to stand up for us is not what the Chief (above manager) wants.  Chief worked with Other Group for over 2 months on the office reorganization plan and never consulted anyone in our group.

From what I understand, in large companies, even floor space (how large a cube/office is) has something to do with the departmental budget. From what you posted, it doesn't sound like you have a leg to complain on. OUCH!
We are protected by a union.  There are rules which specify exactly how large a cubicle is for an office assistant, secretary, engineer 3, engineer 4, supervisor, manager, etc.  Other Group proposed moving my supervisor into an engineer 3 cubicle, which is against the rules.  Chief doesn't care if my supervisor's cubicle is downsized, but the union can make him care.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7821 on: March 21, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »
My father.

He became violently ill yesterday morning and decided that instead of staying home, he could go visit his friend across the street. When DF was feeling bad, he drank some alka-seltzer, then was violently ill again, at his friend's house. Then he was embarrassed.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7822 on: March 21, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »
As for dishwashers, if I'm the one to put the cutlery inside, it will be handles up. Anyone disagree they can fill it themself, my reasoning being that how many here remember to wash their hands before putting the clean dishes away? I would guess not everyone, so that when you get the fork or the knife that are handles down, you are grasping them by the places that touch food, with your not-clean hands. And for knives there is less risk of cutting yourself.
Sadly I have yet to find someone that understands me.
Me, me, me!  I load mine the same way.  Of course, I have another reason too, which was the initial reason for loading them handles up.  My silverware looks like this:

And if they're loaded handles down, they poke through the holes in the basket and keep the spray arms from rotating.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Louie_LI

« Reply #7823 on: March 22, 2013, 05:19:36 AM »

My bother-in-law was really upset with me because I told him he could warm left over pizza in the microwave so he did it and it came out like a board. He put it in for 4 minutes! It's all my fault that he didn't read the instructions. This was in the '80s, so somewhat new as a common household appliance.

Freudian slip?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7824 on: March 22, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »
The driver for my carpool today. :-\

Him - "Is that Coworker's car?"
Me - "I don't know. Doesn't he have a different colour of car?"
Him - "Well yeah, maybe. I thought I heard him say that he bought a new one. And he lives in that direction."
Me - <thinking> Thousands of people live in 'that direction'. And thousands of cars turn right at this intersection every day. Why in the heck would you think this one has to be him??
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7825 on: March 22, 2013, 09:09:52 AM »
As a contrast to siblings being mistaken for twins, I submit my father and his twin brother.  Now I have seen fraternal twins that I could have easily mistaken for identical.  I went to school with a pair of them and then there's Fred and George Weasley, which look a great deal alike but you can tell a difference. 

My uncle J is dark haired and dark eyed and a bit shorter than my father, who is blonde with blue eyes.  They have the same voice and pattern of speech and when I look at them I definitely would know they are brothers if I hadn't grown up knowing that.

But apparently kids who went to school with them didn't know this.  They were playing basketball once and my dad fell and hurt himself. One of their buddies said "Call their mom!" To another kid who knew the family's number.   Yet another kid says "They're brothers?"  His brain was apparently hurt that these guys were not only brothers, but twins. 

In fact, for a long time growing up I thought all fraternal twins looked as dissimilar as my father and uncle.  So I thought any twins who looked very much alike HAD to be identical.   I was disabused of this idea when a friend told me our classmates were indeed fraternal and that she could tell the difference between them. 

And I have to admit it wasn't till Deathly Hallows that I could easily tell which twin was Fred and which was George.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

snowflake

« Reply #7826 on: March 22, 2013, 11:41:54 AM »
I've actually heard that the only definitive test for twins is a genetic test.  I went to college with a pair of identical twins who were six inches apart in height and had very different faces.  One of them was the "big twin" at birth (not uncommon) and the other spent 3 months in the NICU for her size and a later infection and she never caught up.  They looked very different, but one of them had split her forehead open as a toddler and apparently the resulting scar - even though it was not obvious as an adult - made her whole face grow differently.  Everyone assumed that they couldn't be identical.

But they came from a family with a rather serious genetic ailment. When they were teenagers, they were both tested for it and it was discovered that their genes were identical.

Also, fraternal twins can just have the same facial structure and build because of genetics.  My husband looks exactly like his brother who is 3 years younger and they are always mistaken for twins.  I look like my brother who is seven years older and people keep asking if we are identical twins. 

It makes my brain hurt every time I have to explain that a brother and sister cannot be identical twins.

mmswm

« Reply #7827 on: March 22, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
A friend of mine has a rather rare set of twins, and she gets to the point where she simply hates trying to explain it.  For whatever random reason, her egg split *before* fertilization.  This isn't supposed to happen, but it can, and did in her case.  Then, both of the new eggs were fertilized by different sperm.  The boys are technically fraternal twins, but are closer than most since the egg half of their genetic make up is identical.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7828 on: March 22, 2013, 12:23:18 PM »
A friend of mine has a rather rare set of twins, and she gets to the point where she simply hates trying to explain it.  For whatever random reason, her egg split *before* fertilization.  This isn't supposed to happen, but it can, and did in her case.  Then, both of the new eggs were fertilized by different sperm.  The boys are technically fraternal twins, but are closer than most since the egg half of their genetic make up is identical.

Fridentical twins!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

lilfox

« Reply #7829 on: March 22, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
A mini cube moving brain hurt...

There are eight desks in our section of the office.  Three of us were asked to relocate from our current desks to totally different areas within the same large office so that the remaining desks could be given over to people who all work on the same project this year.  Some of those new people were supposed to be coming from other buildings a few miles away.

Since I was swapping to a relatively close desk, we got it done pretty quickly the following week.  Then a week later, I was told I could have my old desk back because TPTB decided instead to move that project team entirely over to one of the other buildings because there wasn't enough room in the 8-cube section after all.

They... couldn't figure out if the project team had more than 8 people in fewer than two weeks?

Also, they are now having to displace a whole new set of people to make room for this team.  Fun times.